Discussion American Cartoon Too Safe and No Plot?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kumo723, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, it's me again. I'm posting to discuss, do anyone else think American Cartoon is too safe and most of them have no solid singular plot? By plot I might like most anime where they have one ultimate goal and main purpose. Cuz I've watched a lot of Chinese cartoons for younger viewers that are way more mature and bold than some of the older viewer cartoons I've seen. And a lot of these American Cartoons have something different going on every single episode.

And those Nick Jr, Disney Jr, etc cartoons for younger viewers are way too safe and age appropriate. These shows hides the existence of romantic love, death, blood, killing, how exactly babies are born, etc.

I remember a cartoon growing, Rainbow Cat and Blue Rabbit (it's a franchise and the name sounded better in Chinese), that stuff like death, blood, killing, infanticide, torture, pregnancy, and plenty of other stuff. The second (I think, 1st or 2nd) episode right off the bat, the Main Character's grandfather died after a battle with a demonic sect leader. In fact, the entire franchise have characters that died in cruel or painful ways. One character was trap with a bunch of poisonous voodoo insects, shot of a dozen arrows, then fell to his death off a cliff. The same character was actually torture in a water prison prior to his death. Another fell to her death in boiling lava. Oh yeah, the secondary antagonist ultimately got caught in an explosive trap and explode into a million pieces.

Later off in the series, the main character was poisoned and the symptoms made him bloodthirsty. I mean quite literally, he want to drink blood. Another instance is when the female lead sacrifice herself to get a cure and it's a flower that requires blood to bloom. There's also a scene where the secondary antagonist threaten one of the major character to kill his wife and unborn child if he doesn't do what's he's told. Oh yeah, there's plenty of romance.

And that my friends is all from a cartoon using humanistic animals and it's viewers are preschoolers and kindergarteners, 1st and 2nd graders too. It's something that'd technically belong in nick jr category by age targets. So by now, u should get point that a lot of American Cartoon are too safe.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  2. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too safe? I remember being disturbed af as a kid by "Courage, the cowardly dog" lmao

I was never the type of kid to have nightmares but watching this show at night did speed up my frail lil heart.

I honestly don't know what kind of man would have watched this freak of a show and said: "Yep, this show about eldritch monsters is perfectly suitable for underage kids."

redanxela, A5G_Reaper, MMWO and 10 others like this.
  3. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    why? I bet u haven't seen any mainstream Chinese cartoons. Like the cartoon I just mention. When I was in Preschool/Daycare, that's all everyone could talk about. Altho there's Ultraman too since the kids back then love to rp Ultraman

4. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Too safe"? You'd have to tell me what is "too unsafe" along with explaining what is the point of safe or unsafe in cartoons when they are mainly there to distract kids from bothering their parents.

MMWO, Slayerwolfx2 and Mnotia like this.
  5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    most of american cartoon are a "parody/description" of american lifestyle, so they "look" safe.....the reason why it's have something different every episode is because it's just an exagerate way to say they want something exciting/different every day in their lifestile(same how teens do stupid thing just for fun <-it's what those cartoon teach)...

Kingloli229 likes this.
  6. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would u bet that?

Does it even matter that I watched Huluwa, Ultraman, and Xiyangyang too?

imK likes this.
  7. Kirikaize

Kirikaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would love to see more engaging cartoons for kids, like get their EQs up. but I still don't think they'll get better. My nephew's still an insensitive attention seeking prick. haah. Just venting, I think he's not too bad? i guess?

Slayerwolfx2, Kumo723 and Vanidor like this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't watch currrent cartoons so I don't know much about what you mean to be honest, but when I used to watch cartoons there was stuff like:
    Dexter's Laboratory
    Cow and Chicken
    Dave the Barbarian
    Courage, the cowardly dog
    CatDog
    Animaniacs
    The Flintstones
    Smurfs
    Wacky Races
    Popeye the Sailor
    Happy Tree Friends
    Transformers: Generation 1
    And many other ones, basically, alot of the cartoons that were made before the 20th century

MMWO, Slayerwolfx2, imK and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    All watch all that as a kid and u got disturb by a Cartoon Network show?? Cartoon Network and Nick is the main reason why I got into anime, a thing from the one country that I hate the most, which forced me to admit not all Japanese are evil and there are redeeming points for them.

I mean missing certain things like death, romantic love, killing, torture, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2020
  10. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    *Sigh*

Fulminata and imK like this.
  11. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    don't know how it used to be but the ones nowadays r horrible

in my defend, hating Japanese was how my family raised me until that point in my life

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2020
    Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  12. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, The Simpson not too safe for kids, there're daddy n mommy sex car, idk what episode
    There're cartoon guy with pics not safe for innocent
    [​IMG]
    And OC my fav
    SNUSNU

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  13. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, a lot of cartoons are just half hour commercials for the toys they're featuring.

14. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's really almost the entirety of American media and movies that are just based about profit, same for food, clothes. Customers are the product and are consumed by corporations. When you make everything to make money as the primary driving force for your creations, you of course want the populace sedated, complacent and willing to cede the decision making or agency in deciding for themselves what 'fun/happy/meaningful' means and how they should seek for it through more of the same. So when you look through this perspective at cartoons it should be obvious that meaningful plot and serious thinking would go against that logic, keep em dumb and sated.

imK likes this.
  15. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I have to admit, shows like Simpsons, Family Guy, ATLAB, "Something something" Park, Rick and Morty were what I'm looking for. But other than ATLAB, they don't rlly have a solid plot

16. Chu2

Chu2 Sunshine~

Reading List:
    Link
    Def. agree that American censorship doesn't make sense, though I think it's fine if a cartoon is episodic without a singular plot. It's hard to let a story drag on for too long before it's unrealistic to let it keep going, but a cartoon with no plot means they only need one short story per episode.

MMWO, Slayerwolfx2, Fulminata and 2 others like this.
  17. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried getting my sister to watch some of the stuff I grew up watching, but after she discovered Peppe Pig and Paw Patrol, that's all she'd watch. And she's a second grader atm. Before she did watch some Chinese cartoons like GG Bond and her IQ and EQ was doing just fine, her intelligent-al growth was doing just fine and normal until Nick Jr came along and one day my mom told me she got diagnosis with learning disability and autism. I blame American Cartoon for that since she was doing fine when she consume Chinese stuff.

her memory also became horrible. She couldn't remember a lot of things that she should've remember. She only remember Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  18. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Every episode of Davey and Goliath had specific plots. Well, that's because it was Christian propaganda. It was pretty much the only cartoon on Sunday, so if you were a kid and liked cartoons, you watched it.

19. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly do not think these things need to be in children’s television. I mean to some extent, they are, like Bambi’s mom or Littlefoot’s mom or Simba’s dad, but I really don’t think television needs to be scarring young kids.

MMWO likes this.
  20. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    it's call let them see reality. I mean I was scared of any of these. When I was 4/5 me and my friends in China played a game called Funeral where one of us pretend to be dead and the rest pretend to go to the "dead" 's funeral. Oh yeah, I remember there's also this game where one of us pretend to be in labor and the others pretend to be doctors and nurse helping the person "in labor" give birth. and oh yes we knew exact how "giving birth" is done. Th adults didn't tell us any of these, it's cuz we watched cartoon

ps. don't ask why we were playing such messed up games. At the time, it seem interesting

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.