Discussion American high school

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that shit for real? It seems so but why? It doesn't make sense, why would there be a hierarchy of bullies and bitches? Sure there were groups in my schools but no one cared about the other groups let alone from another class and there were no leaders, aside from people who tended to act as social glue often by entertainment. I am just sick of this bs school drama in fics(and everywhere else), as Worm seems to be the most popular fandom now I read a lot of it.

2. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    um...no it's not true to the extent you're thinking. The amount of bullying and whatnot is probably the same as anywhere else, if not less based on my experience. Sure they divide each other up in groups and cliches, but that occurs everywhere doesn't it? Spanish people like to be together, Chinese people like to be together, and so on and so forth. I went to a private school, and it was honestly the best period of my life, and when I transferred to a public school, let's just say I was barely at school. But that's all the past now...

3. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it depends on the school, for example my high school was more laid back and didn't really have an issue with bullying.
    It did have a bunch of students that hanged out at parties and took drugs but they were even more laid back than everyone else. If I recall, they took weed....which became somewhat legal later.

....Now that I think back on it more.... It did have some people breaking toilets, men walking around in skirts and dresses, and the occasional invading turkeys from who knows where. Maybe my high school wasn't exactly normal?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Fulminata likes this.
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    personal experience, bulling happen more often than what its look...but most often are just attention seeking pricks you can just ignore and they stop....but sometimes when thing get excessive or you are ganged up it's best to act(report them, if they start to get physical fight back), pick a chair and smash them. Anyway at that point theachers and parents don't give a shit who started it, but the outcome so the victim win as long those teachers parents who don't give a fuck get involved...

5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I went to a village k-12 Canadian school, and I didn't have any of that. I sure had some feuds with other students, but really we only had the kids who liked to pick on other kids in elementary. Once we got older, those kids started smoking weed and stopped bothering anyone else.

6. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like the popularity & *controlling the mood* thingy Japanese animes/mangas/novels have a hard-on for. Reality doesn't work like that. It's just that the entertainment industry set a precedent that no one bothered to correct.

Deleted member 89812 and Jojo775 like this.
  7. etsuhun

etsuhun Mer-Mer-Mer-Merm4id!

Reading List:
    Link
    Its really a weird thing indeed! I literally came to Canada thinking I'd be bullied by the popular girls but everyone was just in their own groups. Surely some groups are more well-known than others (esp. if the group mainly consists of all year athletes) but they surely don't sit at the top of the social ladder either. It might depend on the school though as I went to a 500 student school and I hear stories about the popular ones being on top on 1000+ student schools.

Fulminata likes this.
  8. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a nasty prank pulled on me when I was a Sophomore, but the perpetrators apologized and I neither saw nor experienced any other bullying at my school. I was a loner for the most part, but the popular kids were always friendly with me and everyone else.

9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that the popular kids are usually popular for a reason: because they're friends with everyone.

Fulminata and Anra7777 like this.
  10. heavenlytribulation

heavenlytribulation [One Feared by All]

Reading List:
    Link
    The high school I went to there was little to no bullying. there were groups but no social hierarchy except some people who everyone knew while others were popular but less known in the school. Most bullying like thing a saw was week before finals where every day there was a fight.

11. SaltyBolty

SaltyBolty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends really, school bullying in the UK is quite bad. Its usually emotional bullying which leaves a deeper trauma, and overall in the UK parents tend to have more of an opinion in school so its rarely that students get expelled. I remember one time a group of bullies ended up making a kid (believe he was of indian ethnicity) leave school due to the excess bullying along with property damage and so on. The bullies didn't get expelled until last year of school, ahhh yes in the UK especially London schools are rife with Gangs and druggies

Moonpearl likes this.
  12. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I was in the Class of 1984 in high school. I was completely oblivious to any social activities that happened during high school. Or even junior high. I went to school, did my time, then I went home. I didn't hang out with classmates. I saw no drama.

Deleted member 89812 and Jojo775 like this.
  13. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    The only hierarchy that exists is in your head. No person think another person or group of persons is above them, unless they themselves think it to be so.

The only exception is perhaps the student council. And even then, it is merely a manner of how well known you are. As everyone has to know who the student body president is.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, yes the student council. I remember being on the student council. Heck, I was the one who organized everyone interested in it to totally rig the election beforehand. Then we spent that year spending money on activities that pretty much only the student council participated in, and eating lots of food paid for by the school. It was a great time. Definitely no social hierarchy there though in my case.

15. zebruism

zebruism ▪︎z̷e̷b̷r̷a̷

Reading List:
    Link
    Bullying is not just only in American schools but I think in all aspect of life I guess as long as there are people who is taking advantage of other people's weakness so yeah. It is common in schools as kids nowadays wants to feel superiority thus the so called school heirarchy -- but its a bunch of bs I guess, in my school smart people run the school and theyre the popular one unlike the so called handsome jock and pretty cheerleader but there was no bullying still. It depends on the circumstances I guess, we have a very supportive school faculty and parents and if there was any bullying incident, fellow students will call you out. I guess we had a good environment but universities is another story esp interacting with different personalities coming from different part of the country -- they're expecting you too be the same as what of course of study you are but ironically, mine was into interpersonal aspects and I lack of that thats why I got shunned and told that I was uptight and a bore but actually I just have an anxiety disorder whenever there's large group of socially competent people around lol XD but I chose that course of study cause it lets me go to diff places & higher pay ( yes, I became and "adult" at and early age XD) and which different from their reason but now whenever I bumped on those people theyre like how have you been and expecting me to give them anything as I have been succesful LOL :facepalm:

16. Starmiya

Starmiya [Modern Vampire][In Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK in other school but in my school most of us are childhood friends. Sure, there are groups especially
    the once who are more outgoing then other and there are even groups of people who live in school and the groups of school toppers but everyone is mixed. The popular kids are the funny kids who can do anything...Any student can become cat and mouse in our school they curse each other but they are one of the strongest supporter of each other ....
    I have seen bullying but at was not really bullying cause they made the loser buy the breakfast... My friends say there are bullying but my batch of students are the most united in the school... There was bullying in the junior and senior batches.
    I haven't seen it. Even tho there is no bullying in my batch but the bad kids of my batch would bring wine and all in school they even brought hookah it was bad but awesome. They even brought barbeque.... IDK how they brought it but they were scolded. We hide cake and bring in b-days. We even have to organize program for teacher day and the teacher organize program for children day. And the people in student council are students secret spy they fight with teacher for us...

17. I Ship anything cute

I Ship anything cute [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Schedules in my high school were very simple but made it so that there was no home room.
    We all chose our own electives and some would skip over basic classes due to their l proficiency. Cliques and the like weren’t able to develop because you rarely ever had the same people in every hour.
    That’s just mine though, granted our school was very well off and deeply engaged in promoting mental health and preventing bullying so it’s natural that we never had many conflicts like that.
    We had a school counselor that we could set up Appointments with to talk about our problems to.
    Those like me who went daily got to participate in all sorts of fun things to help us learn how to become more mentally stable my high school experience was very peaceful and full of variety thanks to that XD

18. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    No it's not true while there does cliques and social groupings there's no real bully vs nerds things. If there is they weren't bullies but assholes that actually get on everyone's nerves. What is quite real though is academy preferential treatment to affluent or high statured families.

Jojo775 likes this.
  19. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive attended public schools my whole life and I can tell strongly tell you (from my experience) thta bullies do exist but they usually dont know that theyre bullies.

I've been apart of many groups ranging from the popular kids to the undesirables and I can confidently say that most of the time that popular kid messing with the nerdy kid thinks that the nerdy kid finds it funny too. I say this because I would witness the popular kid do the same things to his friends but his friends would take the jokes in stride and say something funny back. But with the nerdy kids theyd just either take it and go silent or flip out which in turn would make the popular group of kids think the nerd kids even weirder.

At one point in time, I was what some people would call a bully today. I would tease this guy because I thought he was cool with it . For me, I thought it was cool to be gay and that you should be proud of your sexuality. I thought saying shit like "What you wanna kiss or somethin baby.", "Oh look, so and so and so's looking at my dick.", "if you want some come get it or your dads gonna get it." or shit like that. would lead to him saying some shit like "You know it cutie" in a joking way or some shit.

Me and some of my gay friends though it was funny until a teacher pulled us aside to a conference room and spoke to us. Turns out little timmy didnt like the fact that we were "making fun of his identity/harassing him" and that he felt that we were bullying him to the point of considering ditching school. I earned that some people just dont wanna show theyre sexuality and that I should respect that. Just because someone thinks its funny doesnt mean someone else will.

And then theres the whole nerd side. Theres some people that just straight up ignore the actions of the bullies, some people fight back, and some just try to make it stop. Sadly, most of the people that got bullied were in the 4th category; let it happen, try to say something witty back, joke doesnt make any sense, embarrass themselves. Its a bruh moment when you see a joke fly over someones head.

Tl;dr some bullies dont even think theyre bullying

20. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not that I personally experienced but I kept to myself and most people seemed nice to me, which was awkward because I sucked at remembering names and appearances so I didn't know most people in any of my classes.