Is France running low on food?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ai chan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    *Shrug*, I have very good tasting food at home. Every time I go to any restaurant, it starts with the naive hope of a young child and a bright future ahead. Only to end with their dreams shattered.

Simply put, 50% of the restaurants I've been in taste like crap. 49% are sub par at best. And only about 1% is decent. And I've tried everything from low end stuff to those 5 star/5 diamond ones.

I mean I learned to tolerate subpar, but some are just downright tasteless.

That said I am not saying French restaurants taste good. Just was pointing out what they aim for. I mean I've even been to france, not for long but only 1 of them was decent.

Ai chan likes this.
  2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    No it's the carried over culture of bourgeois era where the nobles had their personal chefs entertain them with variety of flavors without having themselves stuffed too full from overeating. The main thinking in the culinary is each dish can empower the experience of the other dish flavors up to their main dish and finally clean them over desserts.

Villager Anonymous likes this.
  3. Scythe244

Scythe244 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TL;DR Food's subjective. Your definition subpar probably isn't my definition of subpar. YMMV is always in full effect.

I think food is a deeply subjective topic and how much you enjoy it can depend on how open your mind and your tongue are. For example, my dad is historically a bit of a cheapskate and even if you give him something great at a restaurant he'll say it was good but it would be better if he could buy it himself and make it at home (for cheaper). The cost itself will degrade the taste for him.

That's not even accounting for what you personally like and are used to. There are so many potential factors that it's hard to say what's objectively "good". I think there likely is some objectivity, like for a steak cooking it to a perfect medium rare-ness or making sure chicken isn't dry, but beyond that there's more objectivity. Here's a short list of potential reasons why everything outside is subpar for you:
    • The food you get at home is amazing.
    • You're just super used to home flavors and therefore judge everything with that as your benchmark.
    • You had terrible luck picking restaurants everywhere you went.
    • You're super picky.
    • What you judge as good is extremely divergent from what the general population considers good.
    Also, restaurant ranking in itself can be flawed. I've never heard of 5 diamond and generally not used 5 star in a restaurant context. Well, except Yelp which is... based on the general population, which I don't trust further than I can throw (which is not far at all). There's Michelin but they're not a perfect reference. They're probably best used for France and fine as a general reference elsewhere. When I travel to Japan I generally cross reference with Tabelog. Anyways Michelin has been trying to be more international but their roots are European and so they will be biased. I remember hearing (secondhand) that there was a local outcry when Michelin went to Beijing as local folks did not generally consider Michelin's picks good. With cultures that have built-in exclusivity for the elite, some restaurants might not even be considered because they are practically invite or members-only and reviewers/inspectors can't get in without connections.

There are other ranking systems like OAD and more. However, they all have their own biases and influences. They aren't necessarily accurate. You generally have to know your own taste, do some homework, and then leave it to luck. I went to a place that was generally well known and highly ranked but didn't make the same impact on me and I think that was more me just not enjoying that style as much. And YouTube isn't always the best place to go to learn. I went to an omelet rice place in Japan that was viral on YouTube and I was incredibly disappointed.

4. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahahaha, how much did you pay for that first dish?

5. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    This man gets it.

Outside Japan the amount of places promoting WE HAZ WAGYU disproportionately outweight the actual wagyu exported from Japan. In other words, it's a bunch of thinly veiled scam.

reagents 11 likes this.
  6. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    did you go to some fany restaurant?
    i prefer order pizza or pasta, doesn't have much presentation, don't make me look like a rich guy buy it's delicious and filling for me
    btw ai-chan is cute as usual

Ai chan likes this.
  7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I know food is subjective, but there are markets you can tell the difference in quality. I can identify food which simply isn't to my liking but is probably of decent quality.

That's not even accounting for what you personally like and are used to. There are so many potential factors that it's hard to say what's objectively "good". I think there likely is some objectivity, like for a steak cooking it to a perfect medium rare-ness or making sure chicken isn't dry, but beyond that there's more objectivity. Here's a short list of potential reasons why everything outside is subpar for you:
    The food you get at home is amazing.
    [/QUOTE]
    Yes it is.

No way, even home food sometimes isn't that great (no one is perfect at making everything every time, even more so amateur cooking). I've also eaten quite a lot of restaurants so I have eaten around.

We went for top rated ones in the area, and those recommended by others.

I can tolerate subpar food, just not below that.

Any restaurant I ordered from my birthday or other occasions, people liked a lot. To the point they would ask me if we are gonna get food there again and going there themselves. Of course sometimes the quality of that restaurant falls, so I have to switch out which can be annoying.

Also, when we bring our home food elsewhere, it gets emptied out instantly.

5 diamonds is from AAA.

I am well aware that these rating systems can be taken with a grain of salt. But its not like I am there for 1 day, I am there for some time and can pick and choose a few times a day. Eventually I might hit something but who knows.

Ai chan likes this.
  8. Scythe244

Scythe244 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In America, I understand Japan was straight up not exporting Wagyu meat to us for a while. A quick Google shows 2012 as when they restarted exporting Wagyu to us. However, I understand that some Wagyu cattle did make it over to the US a long while back. I think they were then mixed with US cattle and thus you get American "Wagyu". It's probably tasty but likely a different flavor profile which doesn't match Japanese Wagyu.

I would say that if the price is cheap for a "Wagyu" burger then its probably not real Japanese Wagyu since the cost of imported product is very high. Terms like Kobe beef aren't protected but sometimes you will see "Kobe-style" beef for sale, which is probably not actually from Kobe. With the ways an unscrupulous operator could potentially switch things up, sometimes its worth it to do the research and ask the questions, especially if you're spending a pretty penny.

Interesting fact, apparently Kobe beef may not be the very best in Japanese Wagyu. There's supposed to be a Wagyu Olympics and the winners seem to come from Southern Japan.

Fair enough. I was just throwing out possibilities. If you're that confident in your own taste and your home's food then more power to you. I make food a big part of whenever I'm traveling so I find it unfortunate that you don't get to experience that same fun on your own travels but to each their own.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2020
    Ai chan likes this.
  9. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, as I said before. I always look forward to going places to try different food. Only to often times get my hope crushed mercilessly :(

Ai chan likes this.
  10. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    French revolutions always occur during periods tinted with a lack of food.

It's pretty damn ironic that you posted this in the middle of the yellow vest movement in France.

zebruism and Ai chan like this.
  11. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    I went to eat lobster with my gf and the price murdered my wallet for the day. Only to go home to eat more...rice. You gotta pay to play.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    zebruism and Ai chan like this.
  12. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    you paid for the word "french" that's why it's expensive

zebruism likes this.
  13. zebruism

zebruism ▪︎z̷e̷b̷r̷a̷

Reading List:
    Link

/random zebra popping out of nowhere/

Hi there! So in relation, I worked at an European cruise wayback and french cuisine is known for this mainly because the aim for these is to little by little they'll slowly get full thus the reason of the "course meal" and the reason why your menu is divided to different sets like appetizers, salad, soup/pasta, main course, desserts, cheese platters and fruits along with coffee for finale. The course meal is intended that you choose one from either appetizer, salad, soup/pasta or you get one of each and main course then desserts then cheese platter/fruit platter - this is the basic course meal but due to the expensive prices, some restaurants applies an ala carte order on these set menus but mostly restaurants, have a seperate ala carte menus for this. The small portions is common in french cuisine based restos and they prefer a visually appetizing food as far as I have encountered rather than having a bigger sized quantity. If you like quantity based cuisines for a good dining experience, preferrably Italian and Asian cuisines will do.

End of discussion. /bows/
    /gallops away/ ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=┌(; ・_・)┘

14. eyeZach90

eyeZach90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Food cusine, like pretty much every form of art goes into the "it's exclusive and expensive so it MUST be good" sometimes. Much of it actually is good, sometimes less so.

It is kinda annoying when you get through all the courses and are still hungry however.

Part of the enjoyment is judging for yourself.

15. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    is it cuz of the influx of immigrants over the last decade?

16. karoshiSama

karoshiSama Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I am french. This kind of dishes are not classic french dishes. We call it "cuisine nouvelle".
    For a lot of french people (98% I think), it is very ridiculous and absolutely mad ('cause it is expensive). But some big heads said it's trendy.
    I am sorry for you.
    Avoid the restaurant with "cuisine nouvelle" or "gastronomie moléculaire" on the menue 'cause you will starve to death.

reagents 11 and mangoberry like this.
  17. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no it's a "restaurant gastronomique", the thing is, they make small portion on purpose because that way you can have a taste of many different dishes that are supposed to be of higher quality.
    btw, i don't think this is something that is french exclusive, but more something you can find in high quality standard restaurant, and i guess you've only been to french restaurant with such standards (but still not a generality for high quality).
    but considering you have a small budget, you sure shouldn't expect to get your stomach full (btw it is not intended for you to get full, but to taste the food which is why the portions are so small).
    so yeah, don't go to those fancy french restaurant, but try cheaper ones (if you can find one) to get fulfilling proportions.