Should I read Second Coming of Gluttony Novel...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by just.checking, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just.checking

just.checking Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the manga a couple months ago and I didn't like it that much, I was wondering if the novel was better. Also i want to know if MEMORIZE is good.

2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    If you didn't enjoy the manga then you probably won't like the novel.
    I think MEMORIZE is good but not as good as Second Coming of Gluttony.

3. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, its not bad. Much better than the others. Manhwa is not manga. The disparity of quality between the both of them are quite obvious I guess.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to say, I mean the manga for 2nd coming of gluttony takes out some of the annoying freaky parts but at same time it also takes out a lot of the character development. And 2nd coming of gluttony is very heavily based on character development.

As long as you can tolerate the MC pretty much making through half the novel with his looks alone (The author makes it pretty clear MC is the sexiest thing alive) to the point where I think MC will beat the main enemy by seducing them into his harem. And all those weird fetish scenes of a grown man acting like a baby, sniffing each other like its a drug and all the other weird shit its pretty good.

Overall, it's hard to say which is better Second coming of gluttony or MEMORIZE, they are similar yet different. But they both have the theme of the MC being a terrible leader and growing off that. I personally preferred MEMORIZE a little bit more but part of that was the annoyances.

5. Ams

Ams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might like it. Manhwa skips in certain places. You might not like the MC for few chaps, but he does show growth. it also isn't a complete 180, it is one step at a time.
    For Memorize, I suggestion would be to wait for a proper translator. Current translations are done by irregular and by different translators. That isn't enough to not to start, but having machine translations without proper grammar is.

P.S. Adaptions don't always do justice to original.

6. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    second coming of gluttony is an excellent novel for me, in my own opinion though. i haven't read a novel with a good character development like seol jihu's.
    as for memorize, i haven't read it yet and i planned to but decided not to cuz i heard some bad reviews esp. the ending.

7. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends on whether or not you like harem novels. though if your other option is Memorize than I suppose you don't mind them. SCoG is all about the MC being a sexy beast, so ymmv. i was pretty disappointed when it turned from a second chance/ survival novel into a typical chick collection story.

8. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped reading after the first couple sentences which basically say that the novel is much better
    a comment I saw at an aggregator after googleing for the manhwa
    btw, I also haven't read either yet

but looking at the reviews of MEMORIZE, I don't think I will read it
    freequent translator change, names not consistent and a mere tenth of the whole novel translated? no thanks. maybe when the translation approaches half

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Second coming is terrible, it has some good setups but the author just fails and reading a half-decent novel that could've been much better is worse than reading a trashy novel imo. Because if you're reading some trashy novel you don't have any expectations in the first place so you won't get disappointed and all the annoying stuff is already expected so it's not as annoying to read and you don't feel bad for skipping stuff.

It's worse to read about a "smart" MC that constantly acts retarded than a "retarded" MC that's retarded for real.

M E M O R I Z E on the other hand isn't at all like Second Coming of Gluttony, it's much better imo. Though there's still an issue of MC's personality being a bit inconsistent and weird at times.

The thing I disliked the most in it was how MC kept calling his party members his kids and they actually play along with it?... The translation stopped just around where I thought if that stuff kept going on I'd have to drop the novel because it just got too weird.

So I guess it might still be worse than second coming, but at least if you go by translated chapters then M E M O R I Z E is the superior of the two imo.

10. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you start the novel from the end of the season 1 of the manhwa. You will probably find MC's character being a bit different. You will probably find him being more 'childish' in the novel. He will often pull some pranks. That's quite different from the character showed in the manhwa. Maybe you will like it better.
    In the manhwa, author made him showoff too much imo. Like jumping over the rooftop because of the time limit.. that scene was not in the novel. Anyway you should give it a try, there have a reason as for why this is so highly rated after all.

11. ShadowStalker3424

ShadowStalker3424 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is one of my favorites, it deals with addiction and tons of real life problems when remaining funny and serious at moments. Honestly never seen the manga but the novel is like one of the best in existence. There is a reason that it has been in the top 5 on novelupdates ranking for like ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.