Discussion Learning Japanese better than waiting for a chapter per month!!??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deadmantellnotales, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    So there is a manga that I have left alone after I started reading It's WN, It is "Shinka no Mi". Yesterday I took some time to read the manga because the translators were good, after reading the whole 18 chapters, just out of curiosity I checked when the scanlation began, The chapter 1 released 3 years ago!!!!!! after 3 years they only reached chapter 18, whereas the LN has about 10 vol!!!!!.

Just think about it, If you start learning Japanese you could start reading within a year, it will not be easy but you could make out the meaning behind the sentences and within 2 and a half years, I'm confident that you could read the LN. Isn't it better to start learning Japanese very vigorously so that you can read a lot of manga and LN, I mean there are a shit ton of manga in manga1000 that still not picked up by scanlators.

I think learning Japanese is better, so you can enjoy manga and LN that are not translated or dropped.

2. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
  3. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Amazing life goals you have.

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  4. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you both underestimate how much time it takes to learn a new language and overestimate how easily you will be able to read RAWs.

5. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh that premise is somewhat skewed in itself it’s not like uploads are all that slow. Heck especially with the amount of stuff being officially translated right now, I don’t think it’s worth learning a language as tough as Japanese.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

6. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ok, easy to say. Go learn it then. Learning a language, much less being able to read it seamlessly without having to pause every second for a dictionary is not hard but requires determination and hard work. Japanese in particular is not hard, at least to me, but you have to put in work consistently. You have to be be able to find time in your life and set it aside for learning a language and for most people thats harder than the language itself. Also I find manga ages like fine wine, waiting for releases as long as I know they are coming and not dropped, no matter how long it takes, is fine with me. I tend to re-read manga over the years, and just enjoy the journey rather than wanting to see what happens next.

7. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    Trust me on this one, Japanese grammar is one thing, vocabulary is easy if you consume that much Japanese content, but reading Japanese novels? That's another universe in itself. The most I could read was a few hundred kanjis and I still couldn't read light novels. Manga might be easier to consume, you know those cliche shoujo manga that takes place in school? that's the most I could read. Shounen manga too, but you'd get fucked with all those power names and kanji that they make up.

that's why I said fuck it, and decided to learn a romance language instead.

ARaine and Deadmantellnotales like this.
  8. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (talking from experience) that's impossible in a year.
    but if you are determined enough to learn Japanese, then you should, and the reward from learning it would be really tremendous.
    btw if you have experience learning a new language (say English for example) this is completely different, as you are learning a language that requires much more investment to be able to read it. Learning Kanji is no joke, in one year, i'm still only able to recognize (recognize != write) 400 and that's because i really tryhard learning this language and kanji especially (i used to work around 4hours a day).
    so yeah, good luck with your learning endeavor

9. Starmiya

Starmiya [Modern Vampire][In Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that languages should be learned when you are younger cause you will be able to absorb the language but when you are trying to learn a new language then you are older then 10 then that's hard work...
    I would never try to learn a new language just to learn manga and novels. I would learn it only if it's required for my job or education. To learn those untranslated novels I would just mtl it and try to make some sense out of it.
    But it's your choice learning a new language it a new skill you can get and might be helpful for your future development.

10. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd rather say it's related to the proximity with your native tongue, as I had no trouble learning English in a year whereas in the same time span, i'm just barely able to understand simple phrases in Japanese.

11. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    If we can learn a language within a year, why do you think we have translators? Is it that easy for one to learn a language? I think its possible if your a child or someone who has a photographic memory but us? I don't we can earn a new language apart from the ones easy to use and tend to be repetitive.

12. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, it's hard but nothing would happen if you don't even try. :aww: If you start now, you'll probably master Japanese before half of the manga is translated. :blobpeek:

13. ARaine

ARaine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted to learn Japanese too in order to be able to read mangas so I asked my friend who studied Japanese in order to work in Japan if he can read a chapter of a manga and he said no. He said he can speak it but reading is another thing. He said most of the mangas are written in Kanji and Kanji is the hardest one. Soooo... here I am learning Korean and Spanish instead. :blob_grin:

14. mangoberry

mangoberry beatsaber is too addictive...

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought it'd be easy too. Then I did it. It did not work.

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the spirit! Work hard on it and then become a translator yourself! ^^)/

16. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    I can speak and listen casual Japanese just fine. Reading all those kanjis though is completely different matters.