News WordExcerpt Going Legit and Temporarily Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by HankyPanky2.0, Oct 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankyPanky2.0

HankyPanky2.0 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WordExcerpt just announced that they will be stopping all illegal translations immediately AND that they will be licensing OVER 50 KOREAN NOVELS!!! Go look at the discord server for the announcement.

This is big news for all us korean novel lovers, especially romance and BL ; )

2. amaranthtea

amaranthtea Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really happy, I know that one company has licensed a few but I was only into one of them. I was hesitant to support them because I've heard they treat authors awfully and then I read a preview and the translation of the novel I wanted to read was... very, very low-quality.

WordExcerpt will definitely be much higher quality, there are some spelling or grammar mistakes from what I've read recently but they're hiring or have hired professional editors so it'll probably not be present in the final versions. I'm assuming novels are more risky to translate than webtoons, I mean look at the JP market - it took a long time for light novel translations to become more common and it's still not that common. However, I hope everyone reading this will support them. If WordExcerpt does well, they'll license more novels. If other individuals and companies see that they're doing well, more companies will start licensing and translating Korean novels as well. Please support creators!

Plus, unlike with illegal translations you can actually expect to be able to read all of it. Fan translators, even if a publisher doesn't stop them, can and often do just drop a project at any time if they lost interest or something else comes up.

chanchan111 likes this.
  3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i am much confused. the only wordexcerpt i know only does CN novels unless there's another with a similar name that does KR novels.

or does that mean wordexcerpt is dropping all their CN novels to license KR novels?

EDIT: So, i didnt know but wordexcerpt does both CN and KR and this whole kerfuffle only concerns the KR branch. doesnt matter to me as i only read 1 CN novel there.

HERE BE DA LINK OF POSTING: https://wordexcerpt.com/korean-novels/

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

4. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's more news about the Korean Novels:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BobChan likes this.
  5. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting licensed usually means, chapters aren’t free anymore.

6. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's sad but it's better than getting DCMA's by korean publishers, publicly shamed by korean authors and at least you have the guarantee that the kr novels will be completed translated until the end and not dropped and wait for god knows how long.

Jevanka926 and sophiecool05 like this.
  7. HankyPanky2.0

HankyPanky2.0 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will pay if it means supporting author. Better for community as a whole.

sophiecool05 likes this.
  8. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    The only work that I was following, was seirei, the translation stopped 2 chapters before where the raw was.
    well let's hope their project take off. don't think we will see them anymore on this place, seeing they are going pay to read.

9. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope it similar with wuxiaworld and webtoon with tiers so paying for advance chapters is optional. Like like Lezhin that there is no chance for poor readers.

10. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on what I understand, it's going to basically be a Neflix monthly subscription model on their site. They will also release print/ebook/kindle versions as well.

11. BobChan

BobChan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the news~! Personally, I'm happy for them but... damn, no money. :blobpensive::blobpensive::blobpensive:My wallet is already tight. Hopefully, I'll be able to fork out some small change--depending on cost wise--to read some chapters once their website is up and running again. Although, I'm more interested in their CN than their KN as I read more CN than KN on their website previously.

12. amaranthtea

amaranthtea Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, yeah. Korean readers have to pay to read these chapters too, it's per chapter or they can buy the book at the end I think? It's not fair that foreign fans can read them free especially not when it requires more labor (translating and further editing) and the company paid a large amount for the license.

I think the only reason why Japanese web novel authors aren't as loud is because unlike Korean web novels, the majority of Japanese web novels are published on Syosetu and if they're popular they're picked up by a publisher. However, on Syosetu anyone can post whenever they want, as far as I'm aware. They post there maybe hoping to get a book deal but not expecting to get paid for what they post on Syosetu itself. The novels on Kakao and Naver are by authors through publishing companies.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Qiu Qiu Jiu Ball likes this.
  13. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Darn. A few of my favorite CN novels are there.

14. HankyPanky2.0

HankyPanky2.0 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The CN novels are going to be continued as they're already licensed. Apparently they'll be moved to a temporary site while the new WE site is finished.

15. Britnh3

Britnh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, I guess that’s it for me then. I don’t mind waiting for chapters to be released but I definitely don’t want to pay a monthly subscription. I’m not saying it’s not worth it. Just that it’s not for me.

I’m hoping no one says you don’t understand, they have to. I know they have to. I have written books but none of them are good enough to be published. And it’s a business. So I do understand. You can just choose to participate or not.

heh, tangent over.

there’s so many options out there, and I mean legal ones as well. Webtoons. Scribble hub. Etc.

Edit: also, If you’re charging, I expect no ads. Not that it would impact me but I hate Hulu because of that.

16. amaranthtea

amaranthtea Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, I only skimmed but I didn't say anything about a subscription? I was assuming it would be something like TappyToon in that you pay for a single chapter (or bulk buy for discounts/points) or you would buy the ebook or print or audiobook once it was all done.

17. Grace_S

Grace_S Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, Old Website will undergo huge change not only in aesthetically but its system and policies as well. So the translation will be moved temporarily to backup website.

For the payment, there won't be tiers. WordExcerpt will use payment system like Neflix monthly subscription model. You can access all chapters on website by pay one month subscription so If you want to wait until all translation finished and read it in one month, you can. If you want to buy from another platform, it will be per volume (book) not monthly. For Authors, their works will receive same treatment as translation works. That's what I get from Judairu's replies to some questions in #questions channel on WE discord server.

sophiecool05 and Manimanga like this.
  18. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a #questions channel in the WE discord where WE explains about the subscription model.

19. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's good to hear as the only novel (a CN one) i read there is licensed.

will this subscription model be just for the KR novels or will it cover everything including the licensed CN novels? cause that's the part that has me concerned.
    :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

20. HankyPanky2.0

HankyPanky2.0 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got no clue. Guess you'll have to wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.