Does Energy Drink Keep you Awake? What About Coffee?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Neiri, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It comes to a point that it has no effect anymore, I am still sleepy.

2. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried sleeping 7-9 hours a day, everyday like it's recommended?

Fulminata, Milanin and Justcallmejust like this.
  3. froztyh

froztyh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    look at ingredient at the back of the can then google caffeine

Milanin and Justcallmejust like this.
  4. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Lethargy is one of the symptoms for diabetes. Stop drinking energy drink. The sugar content in it is ridiculously high.

Just get yourself enough sleep and don't forget to exercise.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    You start to build a tolerance to caffeine. Anyway, energy drinks might keep you 'awake' in high enough quantities, but they won't alleviate mental or physical fatigue. You'll still function worse than usual and it's like going in the red on a credit card, you'll have to pay back with interest afterwards.

Coffee in general has very low amounts of caffeine compared to energy drinks. Which are also loaded with sugars and things like Taurine and vitamin B-12 if i remember correctly.

Either way, a sweet sugary drink could still make you sleepy just like after over-eating people tend to doze off or feel sluggish.

6. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    You may have built a tolerance. I would not drink the stuff for a while. Also wouldn't recommend drinking too much if you have any signs of anxiety.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, definitely. The anxiety will also add to insomnia and increase the dependency on energy drink, it's a vicious cycle.
    When i stopped drinking them, it was almost as bad as it was when i quit smoking.

tekinwillie likes this.
  8. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a power nap and combine it with a cup or two cups of coffee. That is what i do when i have 24 hour or 48 hour exams

And remember to hydrate yourself with water, it helps to fight against the caffeine crash and keep u awake for a bit longer

9. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's meditations and breathing exercises that can stimulate you better than caffeine. Healthier, too. If that's not your game, then look into music with some NLP.

However, I strongly advise, from over a decade of personal experience with 0-2 hours of sleep some nights and 4 on average, that you do all you can to sleep. You won't notice too much change in the first couple years, but it becomes very apparent in regards to your health in later years. It's a steeper fall in health with narrower ledges as the years progress so that those falls come quicker.

What's worse is that even years after you want to start catching up, you'll find that you might get several days with decent sleep and weeks with barely any just because your mind and body have become use to the desire for less sleep.

You want to keep your bones, muscles, tendons, and nerves in decent working order without excessive focus in exercise? You want to remember what you did last week without spending a few minutes thinking? Sleep.

LK and lohwengk like this.
  10. Preciousmele

Preciousmele Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cold wind
    Jumps
    Frozen coke
    To stay awake three days in a row for finals
    Open your windows an let The wind blow away The sleep
    Need more? Jump one minute o go for a little walk
    You need to move your body to keep your neurons awake

11. LombokHot

LombokHot Hottest Chili Ever Known

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it did, i was hiking, it was my first time climbing rinjani mountain so i came prepared with energy drink to keep my stamina, but i drank too much. When we arrived at Pelawangan (halfway to the top), it was already dark, i was tired and felt weak all over, but i just cant sleep.

01 and lohwengk like this.
  12. Alski

Alski <Insert other title here> Level 25

Reading List:
    Link
    what kind of idiotic place has exams that go for that long :blobunsure:

01 and Eternal Emperor like this.
  13. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    I limit black coffee to not more than twice a week to ensure it retains its efficacy for when it’s truly needed... But music helps me stay up too somehow...:blobpats:

lohwengk likes this.
  14. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    My uni.

For my 24 hour exam i have to write between a 5-10 page essay. The amount depends on the class. But usually it is 10.

And for the 48 hour its between 10-15 pages, and they expect much more from you.

15. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    anything caffeinated in the afternoon keeps me up these days. bird is getting old lol

16. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. Energy drink still give me a kick but for a very short duration and it come with more exhaustion afterwards while coffee neither keep me awake nor it energize me in the morning. I just had to drink coffees because if i don't I'll get headaches and funny feeling in the stomach.

17. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC, has to be the right type of music. The volume and rhythm have to be constant, and it should be 60 beats per minute or slower.

18. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the one above comments. Stop drinking too much energy drinks. Sugar content is very high. Ik someone who drank nonstop it cuz against sleepiness and he has to stop drinking them now cuz his health got so bad. Coffee tbh isnt sth long term too. It also drains u of water which ur body needs to stay awake too. Normal sleep circle and enough water is important

19. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would professors want to spend several hours grading each student? Are the class sizes small enough for that to be manageable? Most teachers have a few that they are involved with. Even with 20 students and a single class that would be heavy grading.

Generally there's a narrow time-limit for grades to be in, since admin and finance issues require it for the following semester. Humans generally want things to be quick and easy if they can. Laziness should direct those teachers to multiple-choice and short-answer. Nearly all my exams through graduate school were that, with just those odd 10-30 page term papers that would be due long before exams.

Still, you poor soul.

Fulminata likes this.
  20. Lucresia

Lucresia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Drink it before you get tired.