News The End of Korean Piracy Is Near

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by kouhai, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kouhai

kouhai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Announced recently this week, Naver Corporation, Ridi Corp., Lezhin Entertainment, KakaoPage, Topco, and Toomics (the big companies) have declared their joint partnership with intent of taking down illegally pirated content and illegal distribution, be it domestic or foreign, and going as far as taking criminal pursuits. Illegal Korean translations will be affected as the companies will be working jointly with the Korean Government, Korean National Police Agency, and the INTERPOL (International Police Organization) to cracking down illegal translations and piracy.

KOCCA (Korean Creative Agency) reported an estimated loss of 1.86 trillion won (1.6 billion USD) from 2017 to 2018 from illegal translations and piracy.

Seeing as the government and the corporations are working hand in hand to taking down the illegal distribution of works, we can already foresee the amount of illegal Korean translations diminishing.

More info can be found here: https://n.news.naver.com/article/092/0002201991

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  2. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooops, there go my BL webtoons! I mean, good for the authors, guess I need to start making more money to support the habit somehow lol. If China ever does this for their novels, I'm screwed.

3. rei_hunter

rei_hunter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If webtoons and korean novels were actually released in proper intervals in english; they wouldn't have this problem.

Still, japan tried this already, but piracy will keep popping up.

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say that I am surprised
    Sans titre.png

5. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, as if that will stop it

Quimquim_20, Maomaomao and Muspon like this.
  6. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the news, its company and little for author e.g. MookHyang Dark Lady's author

Maomaomao likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah there was official translation for novel on kakao or was it line or something, but because of their management is utterly suck such as webtoon and novel on one server they decided to kick novel to reduce server traffic then they wonder why people turn pirate.... duh~
    this cat lil sis kinda furious cuz she pay da full novel then it just disappear~

8. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why. Piracy will never stop. At least try to make the content more accessible to the foreign market rather than just trying to stop it. Most people pirate not because they are poor but because they literally can't get the content unless they pirate it.

9. froztyh

froztyh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    !! guise look if these people whit no intention of paying paid we'd get good money

pls giv bigger budget

10. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    How can they expect to get their money back if they just shut down illegal translations but don't have any plan to release an official translation (or at least release one in a readable english, a simple thing they failed to do already so many times as most naver translations I ever read were all even of lower quality than a basic google trad from korean to english...) ?

Money that couldn't be earned shouldn't be viewed as lost.

11. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall believe it when I see it~

Maomaomao and tekinwillie like this.
  12. Echoes

Echoes 【Wandering Monk】

Reading List:
    Link
    They know that foreigners market have a big demand. But damn, they cant facilitate the growth in demands.

And i wonder how they, the broad directors if those companies, has a degree in business, but shite with making decisions like this.

Its like they just want a huge profits with little budget to invest.

13. Fran.2424

Fran.2424 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well actually the poverty is a big thing, specially with teens that do not work, in third world countries the lower income people won 6-7 dollars per day (where I am from), so paying for the content is very hard.
    Yes actually the only reason that's many people have read the ilegal translations is because they're free, otherwise very few people can afford to pay for all that they have read, or they simply will not read as much as they do. Companies they really need to offer proper translations to other languages that are of good quality and are fast because some webtoons the scan groups are a lot faster to translate then than the official translation... It's like they don't want to make money.

14. nomercy0014

nomercy0014 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But bruh, if they don't make official translations for us to read, then why do they expect us to not read illegal translations?

15. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    the funny thing, is that even if they translate it in english proprely. I doubt they whould make that much money. Simple because majority of those translation are just junk content that people read just because it's free....if it's paid, they wouldn't bother to wast time on it....

16. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I said most. There are a lot of people willing to pay for content and there are people not willing to pay for it. People still pay for CrunchyRoll even when they can just go to an anime pirate site that's not that hard to find.

Manimanga, Astaroth and Italosprado like this.
  17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    This has never worked in all of history, but they are free to try.

After doing some estimate calculations, those copying my avatar picture in this forum amounts to 4,234 quadrillion USD loss per year.

18. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only problem I see happening is that less people translate Korean webtoons. If asked most people will stop translating. Or translators might not have credit pages anymore. Well to be honest if there are less webtoons I'll read something else. I have a lot of novels to read and other things to do. I'm studying for certificates.

I'm one of those people. If it's free I'll give it a try. If I have to pay for it to try it I'm not going to try it. Though I am a little different in that if I like it I'll buy it. Then I get a little mad because I know how little they authors are paid. I wish authors had a Patreon or something. I'd much rather give my money to the authors.

19. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    It's within their full right to end piracy, even if they don't intend to sell their stuff to the outsiders. Those whining about them not selling stuff to the outsiders are just entitled.

20. Magwayen

Magwayen Sedated

Reading List:
    Link
    These efforts are indeed awe-inducing but once there were pirates, new pirates will emerge and they evolve with the times just like any humans.

AliceShiki and IceLight303 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.