NU/NUF Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Apr 3, 2018.

1. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure where to ask this, so sorry if this is the wrong place.

So I know that with JP novels, when there's two different editions of a work, they're separated into two series, with an "(LN)" and "(WN)" to differentiate them. But how about CN novels that have two different editions in the same vein? It feels a bit weird tagging it as WN/LN, since LN seems like a strictly Japanese category...

In other words, how would we name a published edition of a Chinese work whose webnovel edition has been previously translated before? I don't want to just fold it into the original series page, since 1) another translator is still translating the webnovel edition and 2) the published edition is vastly different in terms of chapter numbering and later events/the ending, so I don't want to cause any confusion there either.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    what's wrong with using

Novel Title (PN) ?
    and consequently renaming the existing web version as Novel Title (WN)

currently we didn't put (WN) or (LN) on every jp novel either, only those that has both version being translated.

Blitz, AMissingLinguist and emiliers like this.
  3. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I... I didn't even think about that. Thank you! I'll do that! ...Once I actually start translating that is, haha.

4. tt2005

tt2005 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know where to ask for help so I google it up and this link came up. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place but
    Can you make it so you have the same novel in both of your lists? Is that possible? If so, how do I do it?

Sorry, I didn't know where else to ask.

5. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you can't. Why do you need it in two lists?

You can add tags or notes to the novels on your list and filter them this way.

Or you can use a recommendation list (it can be private) for the 2nd copy, but you won't see new releases there.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    Question:

Is there an option to always show the first post in a thread no matter on what page you're currently on? I know some forums have this option. not sure about here...

If it's here, where do I go to set it?
    If it's not here, would you consider adding it? It's fine if you don't too, just curious...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  7. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    No, there's no sticky first post addon installed on NUF.

NUF is not being actively developed, so it's unlikely the addon will get installed (it's not free and might potentially conflict with other addons).

8. no168_92

Reading List:
    Link
    oh... ok. thanks for the clarification...

just humor me a bit more, where can I check the addon, and can it be installed client side only? IF it does get installed for NUF, how much hassle would it be...? roughly speaking

9. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, you just want it for yourself and not for everybody in your thread?
    Well, forum addons don't work that way.
    I mean, technically, everything can be coded if you have the will, but I don't really see a point... Why do you want to always see the first post anyway?

In any case, NUF runs on xenforo, so you can see available addons on their website.
    Still, NUF stayed on an old XF 1.5 version, due to many addons that didn't continue in XF2 and Tony not wanting to spend the time to try and figure out how to fix the broken functionality that'd surely follow the upgrade.

10. no168_92

Reading List:
    Link
    not just for myself, but if that's an option... I'll take it. not a coder myself tho...

mostly for the Latest chapter thread and forum games since the first post always have backlinks to the story page or rules for the games... not really a high priority, but would be superb convenient nonetheless...

understandable on Tony's part, but is he truly the only mod for NUF? no second admin that would be willing to slough through? what if there's incentive or maybe willing patron/volunteer?

not arguing, just thinking of possibilities here :)

11. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're already in the thread, you can easily go back to the first post by clicking the date of the thread:
    upload_2020-10-8_10-3-39.png

upload_2020-10-8_10-4-7.png

The same goes when viewing threads in a forum - clicking the date takes you to the first post, while clicking the title usually takes you to the last one:
    upload_2020-10-8_10-6-8.png

~~
    I get the convenience and all, but there's been many changes requested over the years (some even more useful) and they usually just get ignored.

MLisMyHubby likes this.
  12. Baby yoda_002

Baby yoda_002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone know how to mentoin somebody on novel updates. Cuz i can't do it :aww::aww:

13. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    @Baby yoda_002 just like this.

Baby yoda_002 likes this.
  14. MLisMyHubby

MLisMyHubby Isekaid Villainess >:)

Reading List:
    Link
    I've posted more than five posts and using the 'image button' wherein i can insert the url of the image but still get a broken image. I uploaded my pic in ibb.co and copy the link from there. I don't know where it went wrong. Or am I missing some steps on how to upload it? Please help me:blobupset:

15. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    use BBcode full linked, instead of Viewer Link
    ibbco.jpg
    [​IMG]

alternatively, you can use https://postimg.cc
    the way they list the options are better, imho
    postimgcc.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    MLisMyHubby likes this.
  16. MLisMyHubby

MLisMyHubby Isekaid Villainess >:)

Reading List:
    Link
    That fixed it!:blob_pompom: I've tried using the bbcode full link and now i can view the image. Gonna try next time this new site for uploading pics. Thank you so much! :aww:You're a great help!:love:

17. ChiChidi

ChiChidi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have legitimately no idea where to go here to get contact with a moderator.
    Yesterday, my translation request for Doomsday Wonderland was merged with an older thread and closed. No comment from any moderator explaining anything, just closed.
    I am confused, but I am like... okay... Let me just make another one then, so people can comment on it. Just now, it got merged again, and now I can't make any topics. Can I get any kind of explanation? Why are my threads getting merged and closed for commenting? And why am I now not allowed to make any new threads?
    For how long can I not make any threads? Some kind of communication would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  18. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    why do you even create a new thread when you already has one made, back in August?
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/5765240/
    just bump it.

creating a new one is considered duplicate, hence your new one were merged into the old one.
    and moderators doesn't really need to explain anything, when it is common sense (to not create duplicate wherever forum/site you are), especially when it is already in the rule.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/1147233/

TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  19. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you do not tell people what they did wrong how can you expect them to change their behavior and stop doing wrong things?
    It is pretty much standard everywhere for a mod to actually inform someone what they did wrong

ChiChidi likes this.
  20. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    everywhere? nope. it is not. i'm currently a (somewhat) active member(not staff) of 7 forums, 3 of them is in my native language. and i've been banned, kicked and even got warning point for less. in fact, nuf is the most lenient of them all. it is pretty much common sense to not create duplicate thread.

as an analogy (probably not a great one) is that if you visit another country, it is common sense to learn the do's and don'ts beforehand, isn't it? you can't expect everything being spoonfed to you.

Calahan, AliceShiki and Ral like this.