Discussion The mech touch (rant)

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Magnus183, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Magnus183

Magnus183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I just finished reading the mech touch latest chapter and again I feel like the novel is shit, but I keep coming back to it since it's the only novel with proper mech building at its core..

(start of rant)
    Idk about you guys, if you read the novel at all, but I always feel like the mech touch is shit for like 90% of the time and the 10% that makes it good was when he is building or designing a new mech. And even then, it could be shit. I think when he created the modular mech was one of them (gloriana force him or basically manipulate him). Being a fukin hypocrite is his life, always trying to find the good or justifying his action with "this is for my passion" and the like and also saying patriarch this and that and the toxic matriarchal society from his girlfriend side.

There's just to many shitty things going on in the novel that at some point I gave up support for the Mc and now every tragedy that happen to him is a delight. If he dies (highly unlikely), I hope the system will be inherited to a better person. If he does not die, I hope that Gloriana his gf, could just manipulate him as a Boy, since all his talks about being a man and shit worth nothing really..

But again, I keep coming back to this novel just for that mech building moments and when people are reacting to it or piloting it..

(end of rant)

ArgosYesu likes this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm... you seem like you like it alot :blobxd:

pepeoo likes this.
  3. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the start but i dropped when he received the system, his dad knew about it but still let his family be poor or whatever? I feel like a system isnt special when people know about it so i didnt read it

4. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    The app (I am not calling it a system) could do with a major overhaul and its backstory could as well. One of my pet peeves for a system novel is having ANY plot about the system. This app is one of the worst ones, especially when aspects are ignored or removed randomly (the stat increases).

Mech creation is definitely the highlight for most of it, but there is so little of it that it also falls off in interest.

Side characters are also not very likeable which doesn't help in keeping my interest.

MC is boring, sides are boring, plot is boring, setting is meh, the growth progression is alright but also meh, the app is trash. I literally skipped the entire War arc, some 600 chapters, and guess what? Nothing much changed. MC was the exact same and the app wasn't even used so his stats and progression didn't change either. 600 chapters of nonsense which definitely would have bankrupt a normal reader all for the sake of useless words.

Meh...

God slayer and Magnus183 like this.
  5. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me is not shit but is not good either. It's mediocre but with an interesting story.
    Ves is, as Magnus183 said, an hypocrite about most things and from time to time acts like an adult, the rest of the time is a child with behavior problems. Complains about things in design and then does exactly that.
    I keep reading the novel because mechs and a few other things are interesting.
    Also I hate how the author keeps adding stupid and meaningless content, it feels like a chinese xianxia that speak of nonsense just to add word count and stop the novel from progressing.

Magnus183 likes this.
  6. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude.. Like legit same..

The novel it self with the concept of mech building is amazing in my opinion but the way the author writes it is just horrible. The only reason I read it is because there's none that actually have similar plot to it. If somebody made a fanfic or a novel like it, I would probably read it since the bar set by the mech touch is just so low..

7. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    The system is shit, the character and everything is shit. The only reason it is famous is because it involves mechs and not just fighting with it but more mech building and clan/kingdom/company building.

If you saw the comments, you will see many people reads it because they don't have an alternative to it. People HATES the Mc, and that's a fact that I know after I legit commented that the Mc is little shit that should die and I got the most like in the chapter.

We got lucky I guess to people who doesn't want to support it but still want to occasionally read it can read it on some pirate website.

8. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, the mech building part is always fun to read.. But that's it.

It's more like a love-hate feeling for me at least lol

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    The system is part of a bigger conspiracy basically. But yes, it's still shit lol

If you haven't read it yet then don't read it, its not really worth your time if you haven't invested any time on it. I already did, so I'm just reading to see what's gonna happen occasionally. Sometimes skipping a whole 400 chapters cuz how repetitive it is you can still follow the plot.

10. SCDarkSoul

SCDarkSoul Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds about right.

Mech building is usually great.

I liked the system initially, but then whenever it leaves the scene, and has become more and more restricted, I have just grown to resent it.

Ves is a a tier short of being an outright psychopath sometimes. The Hexers are truly awful. Everybody in any position of power is an asshole. It's like everyone in this galaxy is an asshole, and given the xenophobic genocides plus the constant warring everyone seems to have adopted as a guiding philosophy for civilization I suppose that isn't surprising.

80% of chapters are usually useless fluff as well because the author has to keep his quota of three chapters a day. There are entire arcs that are just worthless. I skipped like half the Bright-Vesian war. I didn't come here to read about Ves the commando, Ves the politician, or Ves the fucking spiritual witch doctor, design some more goddamn mechs.

And yet I am still reading this despite how much it annoys or enrages me at times. Sigh. I guess Exlor did something right in designing the setting and the mechs at least.

Magnus183 likes this.
  11. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I completely agree in all of this.

And I guess he did make a promising setting or lore to the world that makes people stay. At the same time, I think if anybody just make a fanfic or novel using similar plot(world building), it might just work. I mean, at the very least I would read them if they have better characters and arcs and more mech building. Like the last chapter got even worse with the quality of it all. Not plot wise (since they are shit anyway) but the writing quality..

12. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck, the retard that put cod piece oh his mech and can't do shit because he is a piece of thrash manage to get into the clan with the help of raella..

Melinda also won't be joining the clan lol. He said something along the line of I'm a mech designer not a politician, I'm honorable and have high morals. Like dude, you were the one who made that illegal upgraded mechs and now on the black list of the MTA, not only that, you were experimenting on the dwarfs for your personal gain. What kind of moral are you saying man, if you have good moral then the majority of people are fuckin saints.

13. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    he has to get that guarantee money from WN after all lmao

14. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh is it still crap? I was hoping it changed. Abandoned it in the war filler arc because there was almost no touching at all. Felt more like the author was just "I HAVE to write two chapters per day, no matter what" and the war arc was the embodiment of "no matter what".

15. SCDarkSoul

SCDarkSoul Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two chapters a day? Well there's your change. It's three chapters a day now. Still largely filler.

novaes likes this.
  16. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no equivalent in web novels, and it's the appeal of it. Would probably be inspire more web novel authors in writing about mechs in the future.

Personally, it's just for casual reading. It's not the most top-notch or perfect, but it is entertaining - but I mean that with no offense to the author or the book, because I really love it so much, flaws and favorite parts and all.

I suggest that anyone shouldn't really have high expectations for web novels. Even good novels like Cultivation Chat Group is pretty much filler - with funny events and execution. More of a reason to treat these as 'casual reads' is because of the extensive length, and writing styles that is in a very fitting format for web novels, which also usually goes off tangents.

The protagonist is more aptly described as a sociopathic, hypocritical, selfish, manipulative anti-hero. But hey, at least he takes care of his people. Childish.... Depends on how you look at it. For me he is pretty biased, prejudiced, and humanly flawed while often getting caught in his passion and going too far off the rails (and this is described by the author). He is also broken as a result of his experiences. I find him interesting, not mentioning if I like him or not.

I think the main turn-off for people is the focus on other things than designing, and author trying to make a living from Qidian's word count payment. Those are valid reasons, because I almost dropped it during the war arc, but fortunately it picked up afterwards and has a new direction. Characters and events oftentimes don't go according to what readers want, especially if the mc gets taken advantage of or loses.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  17. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, it's has gotten better from the war arc, with a more clear goal or target that they're trying to achieve. But yeah, this is more of a casual read. Can't wait for the next cuttlefish novel tho, he usually make great novels. Hope this new one will also be amazing.

18. Southmonk

Southmonk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it though.... i love the world building and the mysteries. The war arc sucks but in hjndsight it develops ves as a character imo. And i also like tgat he does not become over reliant on the system and for good reasons. And well i treat tgis more like an epic space opera so i wanna know what ves will do and of course more mechs!

19. StukoVRusso

StukoVRusso Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still can't handle gloriana's shenanigans gosh it tilts the sh*t outta me sometimes.

I never despised a "heroine" til exlor surprised me with gloriana, ves was at his best when he was a bachelor.

20. aerowjames

aerowjames Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the author is just farming for chapters. I can probably skip a few chapters and it wouldn't really miss much. Its also really annoying how much mc how self serving and contradictory is the mc.