Do Non-Standard ML’s Even Exist in the Villainess Otome Isekai Genre

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sleepycaptions, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepycaptions

sleepycaptions Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I’ve read a good majority of the genre and all the ML’s (or in the case of harems then the ML candidate who is the most likely to be picked) have one of the following personality;

1. Cold hearted douchebag (who’s only nice to the MC)
    2. Yandere
    3. Tsundere

There’s a decent variety of more vibrant or different male side characters but they’re rarely the ML’s. The only exceptions are in ‘Beware of the Villainess’, ‘Villainous Daughter aims for the Last Boss’, and maybe ‘The Villainess Wants to Marry a Commoner’ idk I dropped it). It’s like a prince/ king/ duke ML can only have a specific personality to win over the MC :unsure:

I’m so bored with reading these villainess girls get with the same stoic dude :( Nice, fun ML’s can exist without being the 2nd male lead or simply comedic relief

ChiChidi likes this.
  2. Reio

Reio 【Random】

Reading List:
    Link
    She and the beast/ lady and the beast though Duke I don't think he's cold, tsun or yandere
    A deredere?

sleepycaptions likes this.
  3. lottocat

lottocat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I KNOWW IM SO TIRED OF THE STOIC COLD EMOTIONLESS GUY PLS.... we want puppy boys

4. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, he mostly fits under the first category. But since it is from the ML's point of view, the prince isn't so bad: Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess' Fiancé.

The prince is just so smart that nothing is interesting to him. The only exception is his fiancée Lady Bertia, who claims to be a villainess and states that she'll work hard for his happy ending.

sleepycaptions likes this.
  5. sleepycaptions

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I’ve been meaning to pick that one up, excited to start knowing he’s a different type of ML.

6. sleepycaptions

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve read it. It was cute but the FMC drove me up a wall with how dense she was.

7. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try a novel with "CEO" in the title or Invisible Dragon! :p

8. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the problem lays with the fact that you can categorize a character as a type of archetype personality. The character should be like a person, instead of a personality type but...well that would require skill. But yea the cold ruthless type is excessively popular, not that I'm complaining :p Def a guilty pleasure

9. stardust09

stardust09 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly suggest the Grand Princess, Regina Lena-To the Unforgiven, Legend of Fei, and Kusuriya no Hitorigoto <3

10. Jem3710

Jem3710 nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the ML in the story “I’m Not Your Female Lead” I think you’ll enjoy the story cause it’s not a common type of MC with a system and she even fails in the first timeline

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In "Kenkyo, Kenjitsu" we don't know who the male love interest is for sure, but none of the the male characters really fit any of those archetypes. The writer just cared too much about making her characters interesting for that to happen. Admittedly, the book is based on shoujo manga rather than otome games but the difference is very minimal and it remains one of the prototypes of the genre.

12. Dragontrainer201

Dragontrainer201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know the type of ML you’re talking about, but I want to recommend Miss Not-So-Sidekick... even though the ML probably counts (in that he’s merciless), at least he’s entertaining about it. I wouldn’t describe him as stoic, that’s for sure! :p

Another I’d like to recommend is “I swear I won’t bother you again”. So far, the one I believe to be endgame ML doesn’t fit the cold and uncaring archetype.

If you’re okay with Yuri, may I recommend “The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady“? XD

Tearmoon Empire Story also looks promising.

13. Leternity

Leternity Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "I'm spying on the heroine in an otome game world" does not have the standard stoic, cool, OP ML (as in no character fits that archetype). But this is also a reverse harem with no chosen ML yet. It's also a unique spin on the otome game subgenre, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.