Question Why is NU not accepting our releases. Is our translations acceptable?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by littlebean, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Just because something's been edited doesn't mean it's been edited well. Hardly anything was done to your translations, mtl needs major rewriting all across the board.

runsing likes this.
  2. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    google translate, baidu translate and systrans are actually does very good translations. i am trilingual and i can attest to this.

they often do not mess up unless there are many names, idioms and phrases in a sentence. even CKTALON had several MTL errors when he was in WW as well

imho, there is really no need to refuse to list edited mtl as long as they are proofread and is fine.

all of you who are claiming that the mtl needs to be rewritten probably do not know what you are talking about. there are only so many ways to translate a sentence without getting creative. not to mention that changing too much would make you stray from just doing a "translation".

NU was never so anal about this until several MTL sites popped out and started posting their MTL here. i agree and respect this stance when it is regarding these sites that simply post and churn out huge amount of mtl chapters.

but the chapters and novels here in question are readable and not that bad for a small group who are doing it for fun.

ironically while smaller groups like OP is refused listing, tapread who we all know to be using MTL are still often listed.

why not unlist all of tapread's 281 novels or check them like you claim to do since almost everyone on NUF already knows that they are using MTL for the majority of their novels @runsing

ironically, people used to be able to do translations to help learn another language like rainbow turtle, but now i guess NU only accepts non-professional translations if they are from a big group like tapread?

or is it that people who are doing it for fun, don't really have any idea of making profits have to invest money (to get proofreaders and editors) to do translations for free and have a bachelor in the english language + (translation langugage) here?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Luukia likes this.
  3. littlebean

littlebean Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We just wanted to know if editing the chapters intensively to the standard you've seen will approve the chapters because even the newly edited chapters we sent for approving were taken down. our team is really keen on translating these but it's extremely disappointing to know most readers won't get to see it.

sorry I really didn't mean to cause such a big... i was hoping for a yes/no type of answer....

Hakumachan likes this.
  4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me simplify what happened here.

1. Search raw text.
    2. Copy raw text.
    3. Paste on machine translator.
    4. Click translate.
    5. Copy result.
    6. Fix names, terms, location.
    6. Post result as new chapter.

There was no editing done. Simple as that. They got found out during a random spot check. Actions were taken. And that brings us here.

Solus likes this.
  5. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    completely ignoring the point that i've made. the parts that runsing posted were fine and most people who translated them (HTL) would have come to very similar translations.

if this was coming from WW or qidian, nobody would give a damn even if it was 99% similar to MTL and only had
    infact, i can easily find several chapters on qidian and ww that are exactly what you mentioned with a few adjectives changed.

like i mentioned before, there are only so many ways to translate a sentence without being creative

Luukia likes this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As mentioned before, NU does not accept pure MTL. As shown before, it's pure MTL. And as stated before, it's not a matter of readability, but that it was unedited MTL.
    I don't read those, I did not compare those and I honestly don't want to waste my time on them when they already have a reputation for acceptable, edited translations. You want to do that, go ahead and show results on another thread. This thread is about beanyland, not WW not QI not TapRead. Don't hijack this one, thanks.

Solus and Lushwf like this.
  7. Yasi

Yasi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the spot check was done when littlebean was in the process of 'fixing' the old MTL chapters. I'd say littlebean should fix all current chapters first before releasing any new chapters, then contact NU again to hopefully have their novels reinstated.

But like whoever said, NU acts on good faith, and the first time they knowingly submitted MTL chapters. So it's understandable if things are kept the way it is because what's to stop littlebean from submitting MTL chapters in the future?

Solus, Hakumachan and LaDyViL like this.
  8. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    sure. create a thread and list it then. (don't do it here)

i don't know you enough to take your words on this

you're free to bring this up to the admin. i didn't make the rules.

https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/5927840/
    small, maybe. 'new', no. they've been here before and was told the same thing.
    and i doubt about the 'fun' part too based on what i've seen.

'knowing' is not enough. we need comparisons. proper A and B. example.

no. the check was done after they have significant amount of chapters listed. no such thing as 'old' when there's 114 chapters in 15 days

Solus, Hakumachan and Lushwf like this.
  9. littlebean

littlebean Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did mention I use MTL... the first two I didn't edit because I felt they were perfectly understandable. the last one is definitely my mistake since I didn't see it. But again, my question is whether or not the edited chapters I sent for release would be ok. I will manually add releases on those edited chapters (so it will not include the older MTL chapters) and you guys are free to conduct a random spot check anytime you wish... or has NU completely blocked all releases and will not be open to new releases from our group

10. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    since I have time, I will create a translation comparison folder using the google doc comparison function
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZgaVGsAUoEbMYHF5Ym4SRcLf9Ij0L2JE?usp=sharing

the link will expire after a week

tbh, NU admins are really great. My translation was even worse than MTL, but they still allow me to post my translation three years ago.
    I think it is about how much effort you put into the translation.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Luukia and Hakumachan like this.
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    to those who wanna really prove mtl is edited or not, you can make whole comparison to whole chapters available~ that way you get
    1. valid argument with strong fact, be it pro or againts, this require ability both on english and original language, at least proper english~
    2. by having valid argument on point 1 you can contest to remove or defend chapter/s listed on NU
    3. by doing those you helped community and NU staff plus NU moderator which limited by their time and ability~

when this cat find problem on NU release this cat report it~ prove it indeed a problem~
    be it on thread or conversation or report problem~

@tides go you seem know lot of mtl on ww, tapread, webnovel and so on plus ability to prove it
    go on
    popcorn raccoon.png
    it been too peaceful these day~

da heck that link for? no this cat too prideful to ask access~
    not on millions years
    19667.png

YutoBot and Hakumachan like this.
  12. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    like i mentioned before, they wasn't so hard on edited mtl until recently because many mtl sites are popping up and they're all really bad mtl. much worse than google translate

also your google drive is locked and requires access

just look at the lcd thread. people there make fun of the translation errors when it's mtl/google translate and the error was not spotted

13. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry, I have changed that.

14. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    I forget to change the permission. LOL, I have changed that, you can now see it.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    sadly this cat currently not read any tapread, webnovel or ww so dunno~
    oh you can pin point it by report da post for reason~

16. hammyhamham

hammyhamham Only existing and not living

Reading List:
    Link
    Quality over Quantity

17. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I looked at a few chapters of two of your series and the quality is fine and readability is fine as well. It sounds like you did minimal editing on a few chapters and they were to similar to the original MTL. So you are going to have a hard time getting new chapters approved, just cause now you have a record.

Since you have contacted them twice and given them two weeks to respond, you have three options.

One:
    --Make sure all the chapters new and old are edited to be different from the MTL. It doesn't have to be perfect just enough to tell it was messed with.
    --Send another e-mail and wait.

Second:
    --Make sure all the chapters new and old are edited to be different from the MTL. It doesn't have to be perfect just enough to tell it was messed with.
    --Then rename your site or make a new site. Then start uploading the chapters. You would have to go through and create a new group as well.

Three:
    --Keep submitting chapters and hoping they get approved eventually.

Hakumachan likes this.
  18. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    @westseller is now accepting love letter!!!

Your MTL need to be edited well all across the board! I think novelup has removed all the major MTL that use to come in droves.

19. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    what if this is the new site and group?

while i admire and salute such level of persistence, i'd recommend not to. for various reasons.

20. Kiki0246

Kiki0246 Top Notch Fujoshi, Owner of ISO TLs

Reading List:
    Link
    Please, if it's acceptable to post barely touched MTL here, I would be doing 50 chapters a day and getting hundreds of dollars for copying and pasting. Edited mtl is fine, pure mtl is just abusing NU's traffic.

Solus likes this.