Discussion The Trolley Problem. What would you choose?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by otaku31, Nov 8, 2020.

?

I pick...

Poll closed Feb 8, 2021.
  1. 1. Do nothing and allow the trolley to kill the five people on the main track.

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 2. Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Should be familiar with most, but lemme still elaborate.

(Lifted straight out of Wiki)
    There is a runaway trolley barrelling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options:

1. Do nothing and allow the trolley to kill the five people on the main track.
    2. Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.
    Which is the more ethical option? Or, more simply: What is the right thing to do?

Oddly enough, this has never been a dilemma for me (at least as a fictitious scenario). I would unhesitatingly choose 1. since it would free me (in my own mind) of the guilt of active participation in someone's death. Ofc, I might be accused of inaction, but that's something I'd be more willing to live with than 1.

But I'm curious about how NUFfians would react and, if possible, why so. Or you can just poll. :blobpeek:

2. Lisarra

Lisarra 『 The one under the rock 』

Reading List:
    Link
    I ain't gonna do anything. I do not want to kill anyone. So by doing nothing, it is not on my head that the 5 people died but if I pulled the lever, I killed that one dude.

*also the death of the 5 people would be quite spectacular. * I am going to hell, I know.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    shoot sword qi to troll with this cat cultivation base it as easy as saying
    "You courting death!"

Wut? this cat read enuf cultivation story ya know

Fulminata and otaku31 like this.
  4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I put my hands together and say 'Amitabha, the lord works in mysterious ways. Who am i to interfere with his plans?'.

5. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    That one dude shouldn't have died because he didn't get tied up like the other five people, so he should be safe

imK, MentallyFake, otaku31 and 2 others like this.
  6. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, maybe try to topple it, or jump in front of it, and try to slow it down? Jk, but there are a lot of variables to it, not just the situation itself. Like are the 5/lone criminals, their age, how the 5 are lined up, and so on. Though personally, either are fine with me, because I think we're overpopulated as is -- And it's not because of resource drain, but quality of life. Ex. Can't get to hospital in time due to traffic = too many people that services meant to save lives end up not being able to.

otaku31 likes this.
  7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get why this is a problem. Just go with...

3) Dash alongside the trolley before leaping at it with a flying kick and knock it off the tracks.

If that is impossible, then just do...

4) Make weird poses to summon a giant robot. Said robot will then catch the trolley between two fingers and move it off the tracks.

It's simple. Sheesh.

imK, Fulminata, AliceShiki and 2 others like this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of trolley tom series, here is a sample

Villager Anonymous and otaku31 like this.
  9. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Hard to say what I would do in that scenario. I decided to put a face on those people and realised that it may also depends on who I may run over.

Let's say the group of five are strangers and the single person left is a family member. Or let's say that the group of five all children and the single person is the sweetest looking old lady...or maybe among the group of five there is a thief, how would that influence your decision?

It may also depends on my mood and health as well. If the levers are awkward, I might run over the five people cause I can't work the controls. Maybe I choose to kill the one person instead because I don't see them in the mad decision making of the moment. \o/

What a fascinating question~ :aww:

otaku31 and evanesco99211 like this.
  10. evanesco99211

evanesco99211 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. I would do nothing. I mean, I don't even know any of them. What if that one person is a good person while the other 5 are actually scums? If we based it on that, how is it ethical to do this base on numbers alone? Actually, is it even ethical to kill anyone (presumably to be innocent) just to save another (equally as innocent)? So yes, I would do nothing unless I know these people because if I know them, then my personal feeling will definitely take over any other rational. For example, if that individual is my mother, I would definitely choose to save the individual. Same goes if she's a member of that 5-persons group. To put it simply, as long I could save her, I don't give a damn about the others. I wonder if that makes me evil or just selfish...

otaku31 likes this.
  11. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    Let it start going down one way than switch the track causing it to derail between the two and hope there was no one on the train

otaku31 and TamaSaga like this.
  12. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Pull the lever halfway. Whole train derails and everyone dies. Fair for everyone.

13. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot twist, the 5 are Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Charles Manson and a riajuu.

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask Kronk to pull the level. It would drop all of them in holes .

otaku31 and mir like this.
  15. solivagantsoul

solivagantsoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm the five guys are tied so they cant move but the other guy can...so assuming hes not deaf or blind and all his limbs are healthy i would just pull the lever and hope that the guy could move outta the trolley's way.

if the five guys are tryna commit suicide tho i wont harm that one innocent person...hmm

but if people on both sides are tied ill pick the one guy to die. ill feel bad yes but i think i can live with having saved 5 lives.

Villager Anonymous, imK and otaku31 like this.
  16. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Just one or the other, why not both?

On a more serous note, your able to do nothing. Those switches are automatic or locked. Tampering with them will likely just bring the law down on you for causing the incident. What you say its a JigSaw-esk event? Oh goodie, lets go find the real killer and tie his ass to the tracks next, because those people down below are already dead either way.

17. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If five are tied to the tracks, another person had to tie them there, most likely against their will. The other one is not tied, so what the hell is he doing on the tracks?!
    I'd pull the lever. Why is he on the tracks in the first place, tsk tsk.

Also maybe the last guy is the one who tied the five there. Hanging out on tracks for no good reason is sketchy.

Then again, why are our hypothetical selves there? Did we tie them? Then wouldn't the answer be to not pull the lever since in this scenario you are a murderer from the beginning?

Yes I'm not answering seriously.
    Oh right, good point.
    In the time it would take struggling with it, maybe it'd be better to try to cut the ropes

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  18. dzymmer

dzymmer {LURKER}{Ghost}

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's to choose between a loli and a stranger then I choose to save loli!
    Cute is justice!

01 and otaku31 like this.
  19. Chu2

Chu2 Sunshine~

Reading List:
    Link
  20. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lisarra Well, if it is any consolation, you wouldn't be alone; I would also be on that trolley to hell, right alongside you! :blob_patpat:
    Note, this is not to be interpreted as a declaration of undying love! :blobcheeky:

@kuroAnsatsu @Femme Fatale @angel32arwa @evanesco99211 @mir Wiki didn't (damn wiki, cutting corners) specify, but the lone person is also tied up. Additionally, assume that all of them are strangers.