2020 Webnovel is recruiting Fan Translators for dropped projects - 30% Revenue Share

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by FanTranslatorsUnited, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol just take a look at their contract for originals

trying to push the WN contract to qidian blew up in their faces. i doubt the english contract has changed and authors still need to pay for server costs which is a huge joke
    not to mention all the questionable things in the contract for original novels like having to go to their events and paying out of their pockets and then saying that they will pay for our expenses but it has to be in the contract that it should be our own expenses?

so basically they're making all of their contracted authors hold a knife to their neck and promise they won't push it in as long as they like the author

it's very clear that they are your reps and you approved everything that they are doing.

even on the discord, the rules are ignored and the admins/mods often create rules on their whims to kick and ban people and it is the platform that your company has chosen to interact with the community altho discord is banned in china

i remember that storm is, or used to be a moderator on your discord.

also you guys have ignored every comment and complaint that the admin of your discord (both for general public and authors) has received

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    animefan217 and Wujigege like this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    19656.png
    policy from day one is to find suitable business policy no?

seem like you really need patch few thing~ tbh with how it going~ is it webnovel serious on this business?
    pick one drop pick one drop, forum seem auto pilot? review on disaster level, heck NU that live via ads still have better review system

anyway~
    seem for those who like novel dropped by webnovel have better chance to poking translator around~

3. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you really think webnovel gives money to the author hehehe, the Kingdom's Bloodline author said that he wasn't even allowed to contact the translators. The guy knew English and posted it on the last translated chapter on webnovel. Basically, trust is everything. I think if someone wants to earn money via translating just go to ww, I mean sure their selections are trashy but they still are trusted in the community. Though the trust may depend but still better than WN :blobjoy:

4. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have the link? What did he say there?

aShinyVaporeon and Wujigege like this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Even Apple was involved with contractors that used slaves since there was a worker who committed suicide.

There was a Reuters video about an author called Red something but it disappeared.
    Their author awards is very glamorous but dig deeper and it is disgusting

People pay others on the black market to buy tickets of their own novel.

You can easily find articles

yogesh12 likes this.
  6. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup found plenty of those on qidian. The novels which clearly were trashy had so many recommendation tickets. Even more than the top monthly tickets one :blob_grin:

[/QUOTE]https://m.webnovel.com/book/9664912305003405/45956941767308250/comments?orderType=1&replyId=

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Ruki-sama likes this.
  8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Ruki-sama

Ruki-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you very much! Kingdom's bloodline is one of my favourites novels! I hope they let you pick it up!

Wujigege likes this.
  10. FanTranslatorsUnited

FanTranslatorsUnited Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is difficult to "true fan" translators who do it for love and not money. The true fan translator translate mostly to support the author and the readers. The 30% revenue share is just an extra bonus.

If there is a group of "true fan translators" who translate dropped novel legally and create a Patreon, I'm sure many readers would support this great endeavor.

There are many dropped novels that could use some "true fan translators."

Are they out there?

Do you think Webnovel do not pay royalties to the authors per the contract?

If so, can you give everyone an example? English authors who signed with Webnovel have all gotten their royalties. If Webnovel does not pay royalties, I'm sure there would be a lot of complaint about missed royalties payments. From what I know reading on the forum, there are no such complaints. From what I heard, there are many English original authors who are now making thousands of dollars each month. They would be the loudest if Webnovel stop making royalties payments.

As for Qidian authors and royalties from foreign translations, I'm guessing they are also paid according to the contract signed.

I am just guessing here and give a hypothetical example of 50% royalties of net income.

A book costs $40,000 in translation/editing cost. Revenue from this book is $90,000. Net income is $50,000. The contract said the author get 50% royalties of net income, he/she would get $25,000.

An unprofitable book that does not make money but lose $10,000. (Translation cost $15,000. Revenue is $5000. Net loss of $10,000). The author would likely to get nothing. The platform would eat that $10,000 loss. And sadly, that book would be dropped. As I said in the Webnovel forum thread, the more you translate, the more money you will lose. That's why true fan translators are needed.

It does not mention anything about royalties of an unprofitable novel.

The author wrote that he wasn't informed that his English translation has been dropped.

Hey guys, this is the author, masterless sword. This is my webnovel id (yep, as a reader account instead of offical account, I duno why Qidian keep me from contacting the translator group for years so that I have to create an reader account on my own -- and pay the soulstone to read my own work in English on the app, just like everybody else). Just to let you know that I havent and will never drop my work on Kingdom's Bloodline, the story of Thales will continue til his end (or mine), at least in Chinese. Btw, I was never informed about the terminating of translation (its ok, the Qidian or Webnovel never told me anything about the online-selling situation oversea anyway, even when the translation started years ago). But pls feel free to contact me on my Weibo (weibo.com/u/6171559470) if u have any further questions, or you can just email me to [email protected]. And yep, I can speak English.

-----------------------

Are they any true fan translators out there who would like to help the author of this novel
    Kingdom's Bloodline
    https://www.webnovel.com/book/kingdom's-bloodline_9664912305003405

like I mentioned earlier, this true fan translator would do it for love and not money. To support the author and the readers of Kingdom's Bloodline. The 30% revenue share is just an extra bonus.

I make the suggestion to give these true fan translators 50% revenue share. The higher the revenue share, the higher the chances of getting more true fan translators. They do it mostly for love but who doesn't want to get a bit more for their hard work?

Webnovel Official said they can only give 30% revenue share. Then so be it.

The breakdown mentioned is something like this:

30% to fan translator
    30% to author
    30% to webnovel as publisher/platform
    10% for cost of wire transfer / administrative expense for overseeing these projects

p.s. Hey Webnovel Official, these two suggestions also get a lot of positive response? Can you make it happen?

Survey: POWER RANKING can be subdivided by genre (like Qidian in China)
    https://forum.webnovel.com/d/23333-...n-be-subdivided-by-genre-like-qidian-in-china

Enable GIFTS function on ALL translated novels
    https://forum.webnovel.com/d/35338-why-some-translated-novels-have-no-gifts-function

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2020
    Ruki-sama likes this.
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    true fan exist it just webnovel is a company with smither blacky site reputation among translator so they expect company do stuff around, share? just payment for work the contract detail~ it simply become employer and employee stuff~ so nah~

true fans? why not follow jnovel step? looking popular(arguably) title hire the translator or other translator then work on detail contract~ they get altina, magic too far behind, ascendance of bookworm ect, there also story from baka pervert~ without much noise they did it and so far quite successful even without tell public about translator share~

if jnovel can do that why webnovel can't? note that webnovel is officially affiliated with qidian so logically legal translation of qidian wn should be easier compared with jnovel negotiation with jp company~

Webnovel action imo quite puzzling with take and drop stuff~ did they make grieve mistake on planning or it just part of their plan~
    19637.png

12. Hell_ping

Hell_ping Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, ignoring the accusations and whereabouts, I do wish to question the intention of posting this before an official announcement was made by Webnovel. If people wish to join, so be it; if not, so be it.

Then again, it doesn't seem like this thread will gain much traction.

strayCat0 and Irisia like this.
  13. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the fact that WN has terms in the author contract that they simply do not allow any negotiations on, yet tell you that they will not be enforced is just puzzling and confusing.

they tell you to trust them, and yet they insist that it MUST be in the contract......................

i remember when WN didn't have alot of contacted authors, they never took any money from the author's share to "pay" for the server costs but it was in the contract and now i heard from several authors that they do now.

if anyone is willing to be a fan translator, i hope you all read the contract carefully three times, and ask your family to read it 3 more times

Westeller likes this.
  14. FanTranslatorsUnited

FanTranslatorsUnited Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The intention is to find true fan translators who are willing to translate.

As for it being true or not, you can judge for yourself by reading the thread:
    https://forum.webnovel.com/d/43431-50-revenue-share-to-fan-translators-for-translate-dropped-novels

replies from WEBNOVEL_OFFICIAL

All fan translators can apply for dropped projects. We can share 30%. (because we need to share the same amount to the original author)

basically is 30:30:30. 10% will be the cost of wire transfer.

You can apply for to be a translator on Inkstone. You can also contact to the current translation group such at Atlas or Endless. They can also help to apply. As long as you can pass the translator test.

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    They take too long to reply to emails.
    It is pretty frustrating

16. Kiki0246

Kiki0246 Top Notch Fujoshi, Owner of ISO TLs

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL I applied there before. I sent the first email in December. I passed their translator's test almost two years after. Every reply took 4-6 months and omg, I found it hilarious how they insisted on chinese for emails but then when I said nevermind, not interested anymore, they responded in just a few days in english hahahhaa.

Fulminata, Exalted, Irisia and 5 others like this.
  17. OverlyUnfriendly

OverlyUnfriendly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I told a shot for every time you said "true fan translator", I would have passed out by now. Stop shilling dude, no one is falling for it. Webnovel has shown time and again that they don't give a shit about translators or readers and that their communication is utter garbage.

Exalted likes this.
  18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is almost as bad as Chapter Poster.

Irisia likes this.
  19. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what do you mean?

20. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A reference to centinni who gave 10% of revenue to whoever posted chapters, ignoring the fact that NU has a bot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.