What would you do in this scenario?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, Nov 16, 2020.

1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    You're walking back home after buying something from the convenience store at 2 am and the streets are empty. As you walk your way back home, you see a passed out girl, pressumably drunk and wasted, being carried by a guy with two other guys and a car with him. There's no one around, the stores are all closed, and the nearest police station is a 10 minute walk away. What do you do in this situation?

Lokum likes this.
  2. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I'd just ask them what they were up to. If they said they were just taking a guy's sister or girlfriend back home, I can't do much about it. Maybe take a pic of them and the license plate of the car and report them for suspicious activity when I reach the police station? But I'm not gonna expect anything being accomplished from that.

3. Deleted member 262282

Deleted member 262282 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    here convenient stores aren't open at night haha

Beren likes this.
  4. Deleted member 262282

Deleted member 262282 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    As a woman to be honest it would be really scary to even approach them especially if there's no one around. maybe I'll do the same thing

rem22 likes this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably do just like you, take a pic of them and the license plate of the car and report them, I mean as far as I know, I am a stranger and don't know what kind of relationship they got together :hmm:

Villager Anonymous and otaku31 like this.
  6. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's part of the things to take into consideration, but it's always better to make sure, or at least try to. Maybe I'm just a busybody barking up the wrong tree.

7. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take some photos of the license plate and the perpetrators, get their addresses, and then send them a week later some cliche blackmail lines.

If the wasted girl wasn't raped or trafficked, nothing would probably happen. If it did, I would be some thousands of bucks richer.

reagents 11, Immortal_Meow and Almaa like this.
  8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can make a pretty good schizophrenic impression. So I'll probably go fucking bananas, give my best demented grin, and raise one hell of a scene, claiming she's my friend and if they try to move her into the car, I'll choke them on the pieces of their own femur bones.

If they stick to the "she's my sister" or whatever story in the face of some complete nutjob, chances are, she probably is, and I'd move on.

Lokum likes this.
  10. Sky2829

Sky2829 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Won’t there be a emergency number to contact in such cases? Take the photos and give the photos to them when they arrive. And maybe if you have 2 phones, throw one phone in the bush with a siren app turned on so that you can see their behavior on hearing the siren.

11. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't approach but would take note/pics of the number plate, report them for suspicious activity. Let the cops be responsible. :blobpeek:

12. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing is for certain, so I don't expect a serious course of action being taken. Even if there was gonna be a serious response, they'd probably have left by now.

13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd be like, "Yo, is she alright? Need any help there buddy?" And then watch if they get flustered or anything. I'd also note some characteristics about them, such as their appearance, perhaps racial characteristics, maybe the location of things. And then if there was any issue I notice, I'd probably call the cops to check it out real quick. I'd make sure to emphasize that I'm not assuming they're up to anything bad and that I'm just acting out of caution for the girl. After that, I'd just follow whatever directions the cops give me since I trust the cops around here.

14. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Good ol' O'neal. Miss him to death.

15. mizzu321

mizzu321 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I will probe them, acting all friendly and ask do you need some help? I have water for her to drink so that she can sober a little bit (hopefully I buy some water at that convenience store). Of course before that I secretly took a picture of those guys and the car. If they act suspiciously I'll definitely report them, if not then don't mind. And if I feel it dangerous I dialed the police station and do my best to stall time until police came while secretly hopeful for someone to came while I stall them.

Because if I just leave her, there are no guarantee I can know if something happen to the girl, there are more probability that I just forgot about it when I'm going home.

16. Immortal_Meow

Immortal_Meow CEO of novelupdates

Reading List:
    Link
    I would probably be the passed out girl that’s being carried in the car (⊙_⊙)

HONIGMELONE likes this.
  17. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Violence is the solution to all problems !

Villager Anonymous likes this.
  18. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to have to agree with most people here and say that taking photos and reporting to the authorities is the best option. License plate (if you can get a clear shot), car color, pictures of faces and number of people, etc.

Realistically speaking, under this situation, taking matters into your own hands can put you in hot water. Sure, being a hero is great and all, but that's only if you succeed. Under the worst case scenario, you will be in the following situation:
    1. You are unarmed, but they may be.
    2. You don't have much combat experience (martial arts kind of helps but its effectiveness is dramatically overestimated due to rules, most self-defense maneuvers don't work well with a resisting partner, and unless you have superhuman reflexes, martial arts doesn't do shit against firearms or even a knife).
    3. It's 3 vs 1, and worse odds for you if they have backup.
    4. They might run you over with their car to silence the witness.
    5. You get beaten up and they might actually just kidnap you too.
    6. You are acting as a vigilante without any legal justification, or law enforcement experience, for that matter.

I mean, I could kind of see a situation in which you tackle people, grab the girl, and run, but they have a car nearby so you can't really outrun them, and if they really are family, you could be the one arrested and consequently charged with kidnapping, assault and battery, and general public disturbance.

That being said, I have heard that law enforcement tends to be understaffed and or a bureaucratic nightmare, so the effectiveness is really up in the air in terms of how much manpower they invest and whether they take the case at all in the first place, but the chances of them succeeding are probably much higher than you doing it yourself.

In terms of what UnGrave said, I could (kind of) get behind that idea. Just be sure to maintain civility or gtfo and call the police if they, you know, start chasing after you or if you hear the hour hand hit Glock o'Clock. And on the phone, you could probably just file a report on a possible crime while you're at it.

Llamadragon, Lokum and Subline Act like this.
  19. CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I would first take some pictures/videos of what was going on. Then I'd walk up to them but keep some distance and ask if they needed help and what was going on. I'd look at their reactions when answering to determine if something suspicious was going on. No matter their response, I would hear them out and walk away or at least pretend to. If I felt something was suspicious, then I'd call the police to describe the situation and try to delay them while talking to the dispatcher. Hopefully, things work out as I'm not a combative person so I'd try my best to avoid a conflict but might do things like throw my groceries at them or block their car if needed to delay them or tail them if I can't until the police show up and resolve the issue. However, if I see any sort of weapon when approaching them at the beginning then I'm walking past them ignoring whatever was happening, and calling the police when I'm out of their sight.

20. Starmiya

Starmiya [Modern Vampire][In Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    In that scenario, I would probably shoot a video and report it to the police for suspicious actions cause I'm a skinny girl with no fighting power.:blob_pout: I won't go talk to them cause personal safety and I have no obligation to save her plus I can't save her if she is really being kidnapped but bring trouble to myself. I'm leaving it to professional.