Discussion Bad adaptations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Parth37955, Nov 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Suishobarar

Suishobarar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still remember the maze runner movies , horrible adaptation.
    I think that if the name was changed the movie would be super great (as a hollywood movie,not adaptation)

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I think Undertale is not gonna get too much outside of fan content... It's still an indie game after all, hard to get big names going after those~
    Oooooh, my brother watched this one... He complained to me about how much the MC shouted... >.>

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From a friend's review, add His Dark Materials to the bad remake pile.

4. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah shit, and here I had just repressed the memory of the dreadful atoms that were myteriously drawn together to make this utter abomination of a movie, out of my head.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't find much wrong with Percy Jackson movies probably because I was too young then and not really paying attention.

Live action anime movies by the Japanese are usually bad

It is supposed to be campy and Nostalgic.
    I doubt the studios can afford the budget for a good anime live action adaptation.

These bad movies can still be fun if done right eg

Only Slice of Life adaptation seem to be too eg Moteki, Detroit Metal City.
    Probably because they can work with a low budget.

I was thinking of something that skipped my mind but oh well

I remember, live adaptations seem to be fun if you don't know the source material eg Sword Dynasty.
    Reading the book now and I got to say it was crap. I thought it was good
    Ignorance is bliss.
    At least, I got a face to place on the characters

6. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To what degree adaptations are allowed to deviate from the source materials are debatable. However, when you change a character's established race/ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation, that is truly pathetic.

7. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    disney?
    I'm hearing rumors about a black ariel

8. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Disney is especially guilty of this and they did make a Black Ariel!

lucjanssens likes this.
  9. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Netflix is guilty of this as well. The Netflix Witcher blackwashed its cast.

10. lucjanssens

Reading List:
    Link
    and they kept triton white
    they aren't even internally consistent
    no wonder disney started losing money

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  11. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    The race-bending and similar I mentioned applies to include Whitewashing, make a gay/bisexual/lesbian/pansexual character straight, and making a trans character cis, as well as any similar vice versa.

lucjanssens likes this.
  12. lucjanssens

Reading List:
    Link
    my biggest pet sleeve with that is if they don't even make it make sense
    like in ariel
    if you cast 2 white persons for the parents, then having a black daughter doesn't make sense

13. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    And when an SJW-leaning movie flops, how ever many of the people involved (cast, writers, etc.) will likely pull the misogyny and racism cards for why said movie flops. Gee, is it that to admit that the movie might have just sucked and especially because of the SJW slants?

14. Crimson Nanashi

Crimson Nanashi Suu | Loves and protects Master

Reading List:
    Link
    so i finally found my review of the AF. ill put it in spoilers cause its a long rant

Don’t read this comment if you wish to see this immensely huge pile of shite. You’ve been warned Holy f*ck this was an bad adaptation when I saw it two days ago. They butchered pretty much everything in the first book from the setting, the events that take place in the book and the characters themselves. This is going to be a long list of what they fucked up cause I’m that passed off at how badly they butchered one of my favorite series when I was growing up with it.

I could tell they butchered Arty from the first 5 minutes when they had him surfing despite the fact the book makes it clear he hates doing physical activities and prefers to do mental ones.

They toss in some random shit about Opal and ruined both her character and motivations from the second and fourth books. They for some reason made her ugly which isn’t the way she is at all in the series. Seriously what is up with Disney making the villains ugly?

They tossed in the saving the dad from the second book and even changed that by taking out the Russians. Oh and for some reason said dad is now an expert of fairies and his business revolves around ancient artifacts instead of him just being a okay businessman. The fact they changed this entire aspect of the dad means that the Arctic Incident book won’t be in what lever sequel they make that they will fuck up as well.

They got rid of the Fairy Book which is a huge part of the series itself and is where he learns all about the fairies and their rules. Instead of that they made it where he learns about all of fae kind through his dad which was a weird as fuck thing to do since it doesn’t even remotely resemble what happens in the book series.

They tossed in some bullshit about an object of ultimatum power that can go through dimensions which was taken from the fifth book. Oh and said object of ultimate power is in the shape of an acorn which means they took the part about the fae needing acorns to get their magic charged completely out of the movie.

They also killed off the fucking mother which was one of the few humanizing parts of the beginning books when he gave up half the gold for her to be healed. This means that The fricken twins will never be in the movies which means we don’t get to see arty be a big brother to the two

They fucked up the siege of the Fowl Manor and how Arty purposely put up things so the fairies would be tempted into using the time freeze. This severely undermines how brilliant Arty is which is a huge clusterfuck.

They fucked up the best part of the first book which was Butler systemically beating the ever living shite out of a troll (which wasn’t necessarily a bad design in the movie but they should have made the tusks far bigger like they were in the books). Instead they decided to make Holly Arty Butler and Butler’s niece fight the troll which is something Butler would never have allowed. In the books Butler was an almost unstoppable force of nature that even Root acknowledged which is hard fucking task to achieve. Oh and they took away his Sig Saucer which sounded like a pretty cool gun from the way it was described. Oh and please no one comment about how they took away his gun because of some bullshit about political correctness. I have no desire to listen to such a bullshite reason

Speaking of which they fucked up when it came to Root. In the series he was a fucking badass commander that smoked cigars and he was one of the best parts of the series until he was killed by opal in book 4. While I don’t mind making Root a woman instead of a gruff old man and I think she got the way Root acted down pretty well. They just needed to add a few more things and Her depiction of Root would have been a somewhat decent Root. However since they fucked up everything else in the movie that decent depiction was ruined.

Oh and Cudgel being a pawn was pretty bullshit since they did the huge argument between him and root before the movie starts. They should have just done what the book did and have him and root be friends and then make them enemies when Cudgel fucks up with the troll. But noooo lets make him a pawn to Opal and neuter how he acts in the series by making him act like a sniveling worm instead of a cocky asshole that’s willing to betray people to get more fame.

Now let’s talk about Juliet. If I hadn’t read the books there’s nothing I’d know about her other then she’s related to Butler. Nothing about how she’s into wrestling or any other traits about her. Oh and what the actual fuck was up with making her Butler’s niece instead of his sister and changing her age from 16 to 12? Did the dumb fucks that made the movie think viewers wouldn’t like her if she wasn’t a kid. In the books she was likable and her being a teenager is one of the reasons why Holly was able to escape

Now I will say that there were 3 things I did actually like from the movie as horrid as it was. I thought they did a pretty good job with Mulch. The actor that played him had Mulch’s personality down in regards to the humor. I liked the way the did the unhinging of his jaw even though they only did it twice and they did keep the part where he hits the Leprecon with his waste which was in the book (although the removed all the stuff about the person that got hit even though that character is relevant to the series in later books). I will say the bit about making him a giant dwarf was really fucking stupid. Also taking out the money ransom for holly from the movie means we don’t get to see Mulch living like a celebrity and trying to steal awards from rich people. Oh and the bit about them changing the beard was really stupid another thing
    I liked was Haven. I though it look really cool and the first Ariel shot of it liked like it was a model like they make in the fake cities in giant monster fights in the old days. I thought many of the species in the city they did a good job making. I did have an issue with the weaponry designs cause dam those designs were really fucking ugly looking. Even if you paid me a million dollars I’d never have been able to guess that was the design they’d go with. Last thing I liked was a joke that they actually did. I liked the bit where Arty point out the guys chair was a fake. That was a nice bit of humor that matched the way Arty acts. I will say the way it was delivered though was less a guy that thought the man was his intellectual inferior and more like a petulant brat.

Oh and can studios please stop it with the stupid parent thing. It was beyond stupid in how Holly and Arty’s dads knew each other and that why they trust each other even though that trust isn’t gained until much later in the series. To me that was as stupid as the whole “oh let’s stop fighting because both our mother’s names are Martha in the Batman Vs Superman. Plus the whole bit about making Holly’s dad into someone people think is a traitor was just awful. The guy was a hero in a war and Holly acted the way she did to live up to his memory. This was just a terrible route they made with the change.

As for a rank from worst to least worst adaptation in the Eragon Percy Jackson and Artemis Fowl series I’d rank them like this 1. Artemis Fowl (worst adaptation) 2. Percy Jackson 3. Eragon As bad as I hated all Eragon and Jackson adaptations at least they both mostly kept to the events of the first book of each series even if they added some unneeded shite like Angela being a bad guy who ratted our Eragon and adding in a quest to find the three pearls in Percy’s series. As bad as they were at least they kept to the overall events of the series. Artemis Fowl though they followed almost nothing from the first book and butchered the characters which was something I never felt from the others. Oh and before someone says I ranked it like that cause I care/like Artemis series more that’s false. I actually rank my liking of the series as Percy, Eragon and then Artemis

Blitz and lucjanssens like this.
  15. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. They also just came out with a television series for it and the first episode starts on the second book! And the characters are trash! It was completely butchered.
    Another novel series I think was adapted horribly would be The Mortal Instruments, it was nothing like the book. I was actually looking forward to watching it and then I barely even recognized that it was related to the series there was so many things messed up.

16. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's kind of how I felt about the Captain marvel movie...I genuinely think that the messaging was ham-fisted and not a fan of Brie Larson. She made this like white savior movie with rice and India so she's kind of been on my blacklist for a while. The whole movie montage sewing her past and how she kept getting up after facing adversity... Was very hollow and felt like a Nike commercial or something. Eh. Or the excuses that were made for last of us 2. I haven't played either game but I believe the defense of the game was somewhat overblown.

17. Crimson Nanashi

Crimson Nanashi Suu | Loves and protects Master

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought she did an okay job for the type of movie it was. Not much an actress can do with that material she was given. I thought she was much better in End Game. Also I wouldn’t be surprised if the bit about never giving up was inspired from that Miles Spider-Man movie since I’m pretty sure they came out not that far apart from each other. One disappointing thing about the movie is that it makes it pretty clear that the Cree infiltration comic won’t be happening movie wise. Which is a shame since that could be a way to kill off the MCU cast and start over.

anyways I don’t fault Brie for her performance in Captain Marvel as the main issue seems to be a script issue and not a her issue seeing as how she was far better in EG

18. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The movie should have done a better job fleshing out the character. It failed to really...define her? in my opinion. I had like no reason to believe she is the person that the dialogue says she is, y'know? And then we don't see any of her in endgame really. The thor movies also did a fairly bad job at that till thor 3 and endgame rolled around. If the next captain marvel movie turns out better (or if I see her in a different role) my opinion might change, but based on this role alone, I felt like criticisms of the movie were legitimate and the wide blanket defense of it was dumb. As for my opinion of the actress, that is based on the one other movie I heard about with her that greatly disappointed me. People should be able to criticize stuff.

19. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Most anime adaptations of stock jp wns/lns tend to be better. While both are stinking piles of crap, at least the anime adaption has cute waifus and doesn't suffer from poor writing.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. lucjanssens

Reading List:
    Link
    the lotr trilogy was good
    even if they took some liberties