Discussion MCs nonchalantly kill monsters and animals but can't kill humans?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by FaerNC, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaerNC

FaerNC Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This type of trope is something I hate the most, where the MC makes an enemy that would hurt his loved ones but he would let them go until they come back to bite him in the ass.
    The worst part is in the isekai fantasy where the mc is like "I'm a modern japanese man and can't kill people" then turns around to put down a dog or massacre a monster village.
    Where do they draw the line? Why can't he kill elves, but can cut down a demon without remorse?
    How can you justify this kind of MC?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slightly unrelated but here's how your typical isekai MC is like:
    129038814_177113790749040_3854530670084456541_n.jpg

3. Whatsdasds

Whatsdasds Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LUL!
    Almost every fucking isekai.

Villager Anonymous and otaku31 like this.
  4. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    "Only assertive virgins please! (I'll get insecure otherwise)"
    "I can't kill humans because it's wrong from my modern japanese standards. But a minority of those monsters kill humans so they are all evil beings I can massacre without restraint!"

It's shit writing for cheap purchases and views. 9/10 there is something wrong with a 3-rated isekai on NU, especially if it's with a long name, and almost always if it has loli tags.

5. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Psychopaths make up about 1 percent of the general population.

01 likes this.
  6. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    The line is "titties"
    Do dogs or monsters have titties? No.
    Do demons have titties? Usually not.
    Have you ever noticed how big boobed monster girls and loli demon queens don't die?

7. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans tend to be more against hurting others that look like humans or like babies(small body, big eyes,etc.), it is pure instinct rather than morality. That said becoming desensitized to killing others up close and personal does tend to make you desensitized to killing and death in general. If I had to say the author is more just being stupid than anything else since they usually aren't traumatized either.

8. tbchillin

tbchillin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i remember reading a novel where the MCs inability to kill people cause 'morals' also translated to not killing monsters either but i cant remember its name. its a really vague memory but im pretty sure it was very well written

9. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wholeheartly agree. I think only in Grimgar did some isekai'd people have a hard time killing monsters (they were also weak, but it was also how the author portrayed the monster's struggle to survive.) Heck, I don't even think that people living in a city would be able to kill an animal. The only situation where someone wouldn't struggle with killing a being the size of a rabbit or bigger, is if they are being attacked and might die from the attack. 'Cause then you are fighting to survive, but in isekai they just slaughter slimes, goblins, etc easily and have no problem with that. What's more, aren't goblins, orcs and probably some other "monsters" kinda like a human? Sure, they would be really ugly as humans, but goblins are basically like ugly children and orcs are just super buff and ugly people.

Oh well, many authors don't want to tell a story with the intention of doing anything else than entertaining the reader.

10. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    We modern humans had slowly chipped away our fangs the moment we can process our food and it reflects on the human instinct the harm of killing. While killing monsters does act a slow moral question, we remember that we used animals as a way of feeding ourselves that we can easily kill a non-human life. However, humanoids can be a question to our morals as the act of killing something with human intelligence can be question in our morality and how we began to proceed on handling the threat.

While JP MC's do have hesitation in killing another life, we must remember that they lived in a place where the crime rate is low and killing is rarely seen in their place, hence how they view human life is precious. So, i wouldn't question their hesitation due to how they see things as a resonable thing to communicate rather than act in violence.

Life is precious as we humans had understand that the moment we let go of our morality, would we be subjected in the act of killing. One can easily transform into a monster once they taken blood in the same race as them.

Dr_H_16, Gitami and ANP008 like this.
  11. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Bloody hypocrites and borderline pented up psychopaths who just want to go and murder stuff. I mean, it is Japan we are talking about, they have some seriously fucked up society.

It is either actual suicide or get socially suicide by seniors, like Meeseeks always say, existence is pain.

And then there is the societial conformity to not take a human life, which is BS as hell.

And sex. Alongside murder, there is sex. Have sex. Have loads of sex.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    sonhot and zetsuen_dark like this.
  12. SaltyBolty

SaltyBolty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why I stick to chinese books, although the protagonist/ mc can be bloodthirsty/kill crazy but that's only some cultivation novels.

But usually chinese novels are alot more ruthless when it comes to viewing human life and the mcs are usually bolder aswell (personality wise) but I usually prefer those smart yet indifferent mcs.

But hmm thays why I dont usually read Japanese light novels the mcs are all just hypocritical and either really dense/dumb.

And what confuses me is that in most japense novels they believe that since they come from a modern civilisation that they are superior or better than the natives but like shit did your world have magic and beasts that can wipe out an entire city with one strike?

brigs11, sonhot and Choedup1 like this.
  13. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    That was my favorite. Unlike cookie-cutter cheat novels, Grimgar puts realism, gradual development, and worldbuilding to the front and approaches the adventure and some slice-of-life elements in a fitting way making it feel not contrived.
    It is the poster of what I'd like to see in fantasy isekai because it actually takes the time to explore it's own setting and distinguish itself by adding small details upon circumstances of a different *world. It explores the adaptation and changes of it's cast too as a result of isekai.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Dr_H_16, Halcyon Observer and Senros like this.
  14. Synders

Synders La Persona Superiore a Dio

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it because isekai MC have their own share of exposure from game, so the majority of them subconsciously see humanoid monsters like goblins, kobolds, orcs, etc. as a source of exp...
    That's why they don't have as much guilt as when they killed other humanoid race like elves, beastman, etc....
    Probably the line here is whether they are sentient enough to communicate with each other...

15. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot higher actually, it's just people don't recognize the signs of psychopathy or its lesser cousin sociopathy and not "a lot higher" as in 1-2% more but in double digits like 50-60%+. We're all psychopathic to one degree or another. Do you know that roughly 80% of all the people in jail don't believe they deserve to be in there? Even after outright convictions and overwhelming evidence in some cases? Asking humans to admit a wrong is a Herculean task in itself.

16. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    You do know that feels like casual racism right? Or is it specism?
    It is this mentality that when one is in a medieval times, everything is backwards. Kind of like when you go into a small countryside town when you live your entire life in big cities, your prejudice will kick in.

17. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's one thing webnovels taught me, you will always make mistakes and nobody is perfect at a closer introspection. That's why I have a mindset of 'I can have an attitude, but if you're correct, then I'm sorry. I'll acknowledge that you were right after all'. This is still flawed, but still better than having no open-ness to criticisms.

18. Synders

Synders La Persona Superiore a Dio

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno if it could be called racism or not...
    It just like human are fine killing animal for meat, but feel disgusted when it come to killing other human...
    What's the difference???
    It's the ability to communicate to each other...
    And modern culture like game and fantasy story usually differentiate which race is sentient and which is not...

0000000 likes this.
  19. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    This happens cuz you had yet knowing the rule of Isekai, read Isekai for Dummies series which contain info dumb like these;
    1. Elves are slave commodity, killing it wasting upon fine product.
    2. Orc, Ogre, Oni and all monster species are the list extermination at adventure guild, not killing it will make your rank be reduce or even demote to herb gathering quest only
    3. Cat girl, bunny girl, fox girl, etc..girl are called Mofu-Mofu which should be preserved and taking care of (warning: Applied Girl only)

novaes and 0000000 like this.
  20. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    < MC can easily kill animals, monsters but hesitate when it comes to killing humans to the point of being a self righteous hypocrite.

< MC doesn't hesitate to kill sparing no one straight-up Psycho MC

I prefer a balance between two sides :aww:

sonhot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.