Discussion Why some people likes 'tragedy' tag?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Martialegg, Dec 1, 2020.

?

Do you like reading tragedy tag stories?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. I'd read any good stories regardless the tags.

32 vote(s)
    43.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    You see, I'm the type that seek enjoyment and happiness when i read books. Reading books are like quality time for me to refresh my mental state in this cold hard reality.
    Without it, I might have turn to tobacco or alcohol just like most of normies do.

As a fellow reader, i've read quite a bit of such tragedy tag on a lot of books.
    Especially on female drama.
    One famous example: A story about a girl chasing her dream to be an actress, only ended up to be a model prostitute and dies miserably. The silver lining however, her death becomes a turning point for all female actress in the industry to raise the fork and change the entire industry.
    Her name remembered as a martyr for the new generation of actress. The end.
    At the end of the story, her boyfriend killed all of the offenders and suicide by smilling. It is a bittersweet ending.

One thing that i notice, almost 80% of any tragedy tag story has a finer point for how realistic and how thought provoking the story goes. It creates an everlasting impression that might as well you remember forever. A fiction story that creates such impression is impresive indeed.

Is it a good book? Goddamn yes. It was a very good story.
    Yet, Is the book enjoyable? Not for me. Almost plain torture because the story is that good.

The result after i read it? I feel depressed because i once again reminded of how cold the world could be for some of us and become a source of anxiety at the back of my mind.
    As much as i respect the writer's skill, my mental state becomes worse than before i read the book.

Not even horror and thriller book could make me feel that way. The worst of it would only make me scared for silly reasons and harder to sleep at night.
    Yet, tragedy book could make me depressed for days or even a week. Sometimes even affecting my work performance.

The idea of me feeling depressed because of a fictional character for that long is just stupid.

So, why do you think people able to enjoy 'tragedy' tag?

Jevanka926, Diametric, ANP008 and 6 others like this.
  2. fireflying

fireflying Lost Boy

Reading List:
    Link
    Most times I will almost always prefer fluff and cute reads, since those are overall better for my mental health and make me happier. So personally the only time i'll read tragedy is when it's either some quick angst, or I'm just in the mood to read something that'll make me cry. Am I a masochist? Kind of. Probably.

There was this one Chinese BL novel i read it was called 10 years I loved you the most, which is tragedy. oh my god. I could not handle the slowburn of the story so i went and skipped to the end, and then had a really really nice cry. The story lingered in the back of my head for quite a while, but after a while I think i ended up getting over it and then it never really interfered with that much. Still, as much as i enjoy a nice read to cry over, i still do prefer reading fluff.

tdlr: because i like torturing myself probably :blobsanta:

3. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm with you, I feel exactly the same that's why my favorite genre of movies is comedy. I don't understand why people like to watch sad stuff. If I wanted to be sad there are plenty of things that i can be sad about irl.

4. Immortal_Meow

Immortal_Meow CEO of novelupdates

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd read any good book, and I really like tragedies because they seem more realistic... not that I don't like it when the protagonist gets to live a happy life, but it often feels fake to me. The tragedy books are often the ones that stand out in my memories for some reason. I'm not sadistic or anything, but the fluff and cute books feel boring to me and actually don't make me happy at all since I can't relate to those at all. Not that my life is a tragedy or anything, but life isn't all fluff. Though that doesn't mean you can't read about it and enjoy it, just that I don't enjoy it cause it feels fake or something like that. t's all just preferences.... huh, how did I start writing in italics?

5. endel

endel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I prefer those good and fluffy novels like everybody else, sometimes I just want to feel sad. Sometimes you just need a good cry to feel better again.
    And it helps that these 'tragedies' are happening to some fictional character, and not yourself. Makes you feel better about your own situation haha.

Jevanka926, Anra7777 and Martialegg like this.
  6. Mr.Tiemos

Mr.Tiemos Clifford’s Big Little Cousin, Loves Hugs

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve enjoyed reading some tragedy novels because of the connection I can have with the character(s). It’s not something like me wanting to punish myself emotionally, but rather finding reading more enjoyable when there is a way for me to connect with the MC. I can’t really connect with Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky who is full of daisies and dandelions, but I can connect with the scarred by a lover or lost a family member MC.
    But that’s just me. Everyone enjoys different things, and I just happen to enjoy some tragedy novels.

The loner, Martialegg and TaffyGirl13 like this.
  7. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    For the cathartic effect

8. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because women are way stronger emotionally than men.
    What's tragedy to you, is just plain old makjang entertainment for them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  9. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Urobuchi the butcher
    [​IMG]

Martialegg likes this.
  10. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    While genre and tags matter I can read anything so long as I find it interesting/entertaining, and similarly I can suddenly lose interest and drop anything on a whim.

Only tragic novel I've read that comes to mind is A Step into the Past, and I still think it's a good novel.

Though personally I didn't like that some harem members died, so I didn't like it because of the tragedy or anything, and it's more like it was good despite the tragedy rather than because of it.

Martialegg likes this.
  11. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like I just enjoy any good writing, regardless of whether it’s tragedy or fluff. I don’t ever look specifically for one or the other when I’m looking for things to read. Though for some reason, all my most recent reads have turned out to be more on the tragedy side with sad/bittersweet endings...without me really expecting it. But they were all such beautifully written stories that I still loved them all the same :)

Martialegg, Irisia and Immortal_Meow like this.
  12. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've noticed a trend in recent years that People have begun to enjoy being miserable and that they no longer enjoy happy endings or the hero winning and that they just want everyone to be miserable

Martialegg likes this.
  13. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I asked this same question about a year ago. I read a novel that didn't have BE or Tragedy tagged. I finished it hopping for a happy ending or something but no. I felt uncomfortable for weeks after. I was so sad and frustrated. I want to relax and enjoy fluff in my recreational time. Life is sad enough. There are some stories that I really like but they have a BE, so I rarely watch/read them and when I do I skip the sad parts or don't read the ending.

Martialegg likes this.
  14. fireflying

fireflying Lost Boy

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's because they'd rather read something "unique?" My thinking is since there are so many stories with the hero as the protagonist, they'd rather have a plot twist. Or since apparently happy endings are too clichéd now, having everyone suffer is a much better fate and nonclichéd. :hmm: or at least that's what I think? I personally don't enjoy plots that are too dark, so idk

TaffyGirl13 and Martialegg like this.
  15. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

first make peace with yourself brother/sister,

there must be something thats bothering you, thats affecting your preference. whatever it is, dont prolong dealing with it, it will only scar u deeper.

cmg to topic, i like tragedy ln/wn, cause they tend to be written better, other than that i like any with sensible story and dialouges.

personally i love dark characters, ones who are broken and fall into darkness, the ones who embrace the abyss, the true mother of all.

*cough* simply i like evil or anti-heroes, cause i like when there's no hypocrisy.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Martialegg likes this.
  16. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    My very first tragedy is Anime Clannad and i could still remember the depressed and anxiety toward our loved ones's death even today.

It was a life changing moment. I was traumatized toward the idea of having a kid when i imagining my gf died because of childbirth that i stopped having sex for two months. Cant get it up even if i tried.

IceLight303 and 8oni like this.
  17. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobjoy:

Martialegg likes this.
  18. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I find reading tragedy cathartic. Sometimes I’m in the mood where I want to feel sad. Sometimes I’m just depressed myself and I can’t stand reading happy stuff. Usually, I read happy stuff.

Martialegg likes this.
  19. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read to get away from the current disaster called life. Thus, i prefer lighthearted fluffy reads.

Martialegg likes this.
  20. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm.... as long as the tragedy happens near the start of the novel, gives character development, i dont mind it... But if for example, the romantic interest of the MC dies somewhere along the novel... i usually drop it there and come later to find out if the romantic interest was revived or not, if thats possible

Martialegg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.