Novels with split chapter translations

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by sithkazar, Jun 10, 2020.

1. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    Some translators split larger chapters without labeling them as parts and instead just renumber the chapters. This means the chapter total listed under "Status in CCO" on the novel's page is not accurate. Previously many of these novels had a note added with the "Status in CCO" saying the the chapters are "Split in translation." Today I noticed that a bunch of these notes have been removed (at least on novels I am reading). I was wondering if there was an official decision by NU to not allow these notes or if someone went through and removed them of their own prerogative?

I found these notes very helpful, especially with novels with only a few chapters out. I am completely fine and understand when translators split chapters, but when they renumber them (and aren't upfront about it) it seems a little deceptive.

As an alternative, it might be nice to add a check box or something that can be marked when the numbers of translated chapters on a novel do not match up to raw chapter numbers.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Status in COO means Status in Country of Origin. it is not for something that's been done on translators' part, in this case, split chapters.

to me, if the translators split the chapters but not telling their readers, they are IRRESPONSIBLE and shady and readers should call out to them.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  3. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that it wasn't the appropriate place to put the note, but I also think its important information that should be noted somewhere. It seems to be a new trend in romance novels that I'm not a fan of and it is nice to have a warning.

4. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh My Lord! I hate these kind of translations. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/transmigrated-into-a-parvenus-ex-wife-in-the-90s/ for example, the translator didn't even bother to count it as Ch 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 they directly titled it as Ch 1,2 and 3. So when I checked for some MTLs I found out that the supposed ch 70 is still around ch 18 of the raws. The icing on the cake is the TL is asking for a certain amount of money to read 1/4-1/3 of a chapter in advance for at least $5.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    There is nothing NU can do about translators renumbering their chapters, just take it for what it is and move on.

LaDyViL likes this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not new. It has been going on for quite a long while. You might only just started noticing them because of the recent novels you are reading.

As what @runsing and @AliceShiki had said, there is not much NU can do about it. If it's for a novel that only has one Translator working on it, then it might be possible, but then what about novels that has multiple translators working on them.

I'll share an example, this exist on NU but I'm not going to disclose the group names or the novels involved.

Novel 123 has not had any updates for quite some time. Translator AA and Translator BB both released chapters for this later at the same period of time. Translator AA released c20 to c25 while Translator BB released c20 to c30. However, what others doesn't know is that both Translator AA and Translator BB are splitting and renumbering the chapters. Therefore, Translator AA's c25 correlates to c22 of the raw. Translator BB's c30 correlates to c23 of the raw.

How does this happen? Possibly because they split at different sections, or they could be using different raws that are already split at different sections.

My point is, it's not feasible for NU to keep track of these split parts. Not all translators updates their own information on NU. Most of them are user added. NU don't have much collaboration with the translators. They don't answer to NU and NU are not the one who dictates what they can and cannot do. If they suddenly decided to change their splitting options, or renaming in the future, it's also not their obligation to keep NU up-to-date.

My suggestion is, make a thread. Do a directory that can be edited that lists out these translators, novels and their splitting. It's more flexible than what we have on NU right now.

That's all.

wnln, AliceShiki and Snowbun like this.
  7. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I see what you mean. Thanks for the explanation. It certainly is more complicated then I initially thought...

8. Fishyla

Fishyla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this has been bugging me real bad. Any suggestions under what section should the thread be if I ended up making one?

9. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Fishyla likes this.
  10. Fishyla

Fishyla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. expertsource10

expertsource10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Split chapters of novels and mangas are so annoying.