Feature Request Seperation of the ratings and the rankings of males and females

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by expertsource10, Jun 27, 2019.

1. expertsource10

expertsource10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Men have no voice as they are being supressed in numbers! (especially on webnovel)

I believe females at home has more leisure time to read on the internet than males working at offices, thus, female readers are dominant in these areas. That's why, romantic, yaoi, slice-of-life, style gets the highest rankings at top100. And this sucks to a male like me as I have to continously sort these out manually all the time, and irrelevant novels gets undeserved high rankings for males due to smaller male population on these platforms.

This division would be awesome if it happens, and it would make it much more practical and easier to find our likings.

Korean site munpia has this division and there's even a cute percentage cake with males being blue color and females pink of the cake.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. williamx

williamx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just wrong on so many different levels.

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's only 1 BL novel in the top 20 on Novel Updates. There is also exactly 1 romance novel. The other 18 novels are action, adventure, cultivation, etc. If female readers are dominating the rankings, I think you need to revise your conception of exactly what kinds of novels these females are reading.

Anyway, setting aside the more absurd and/or sexist things you said, I'm not wholly against the idea. Popularity by gender can be a legitimate search tool for novels that suit your taste. That said, I don't see it happening. It would take too much work, require Novel Updates to actually inquire as to a person's gender (it doesn't, currently), and just doesn't seem worthwhile enough in comparison to other features. Plus, y'know, @Tony will probably be put off by the wording of the proposal.

Nimroth, TaffyGirl13, LaDyViL and 4 others like this.
  4. expertsource10

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's a convincing refusal as it's a good idea, but it's way over your capability.

Edit: Also, I disagree about 1 romance novel thing. They could be action novels, but their plot depth of action and general story quality predominantly mostly and literally suck, the readers of these are mostly women since they don't really care about action plots, but the girls inside these stories. There're also the newbies, who entered light novel world for less than 3 years and hadn't comprehended a good cultivation novel ever in their lives.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  5. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure women have the leisure time to read? Don’t they have to be in the kitchen cooking food or looking after the children?

On a more serious note, why make the assumption that the female population of NU/NUF only read romance or bl? They might also like reading the same novels that you like. And the reverse could be true where guys like to read bl, romance etc. For a proper ranking all votes should be equal regardless of gender.

And can’t you just click on tags or genres to easily find novels that might interest you? There’s also the novel recommendations that are on each novel page in NU.

AliceShiki, Blitz and LaDyViL like this.
  6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Next thing you know, NU is being used by a secret international underground orginization to take a census of the world.

7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A comparison would be nice if Tony wants to make another of those fancy threads (I'm looking at you longest titles on NUF) but as an existing feature? Meh :blobawkward:

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. expertsource10

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man, your shallowness on all of these subjects kills me. Let's address them one by one since I have some time to waste at the moment:

1) "are you sure..."

Yes, I'm sure. If you check the amount of yaoi, romance like women oriented type novels translated and dumped on NU, it's either we have majority of gay males or women. (This can be seen especially at Webnovel com) I don't believe gays are a majority, so it's women.

2) "...why make the assumption females only read romance...can't you just click on tags or genres to easily find novels interest you?..."

That's exactly what I talked about in my comment (one comment above yours)!! That's exactly it. Males get deceived into believing that those novels are written for them, however, in fact, those action and advanture tags are a bait for males to hook in!
    The depth of action and advanture like plots of those novels are superficially written whereas female oriented elements are predominant from the beginning or in time, which depends on what kind of bait it is.

I hope this might enlighten you.
    Peace.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  9. expertsource10

Reading List:
    Link
    Update, United votes of men and women still causes lots of problems. Even age differences and the amount of novel read (experience about asian light novel culture) should be seperated as there're little kiddos out there directly voting 5 every first novel they read as long as it has reincarnation element.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    This is hilarious~

expertsource10 likes this.
  11. expertsource10

Reading List:
    Link
    Update, separation!!!

12. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Can we close this due to double necro, if not due to the sheer ridiculousness of the request?

Oh, right, we can necro here...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    TaffyGirl13, Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
  13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    We could try hijacking the thread to see if it's closed for hijacking~

... Yeah, no, that would just give us warning points, but it's tempting nonetheless... >.>

Blitz likes this.
  14. expertsource10

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to see ridiculousness, look at the enormous difference like black and white in the comment sections of series, if not look at the yaoi, slice-of-lice novels massively dumped on the main page of NU with 4-5 rating, if not look at the list of mine called 'no-brainer titles'.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/reading-list/?list=6

There, you'll find RiDiCuLouSNeSS.

It's already hard enough to find a delightful novel read after RI, but I have to manually go through all these piles of sh*t.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, doubling down in your own stupidity won't make anyone think you're smarter or that you have a more solid point.

But if you wanna get rid of BL or Slice of Life, just use this: https://www.novelupdates.com/release-filtering/

16. expertsource10

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that simple. It doesn't work like that.
    First step - I need male ratings.
    Second step - I need ratings of males with +5 (x variable) year reading experienced or +100 (x) novels.
    Third step - I need ratings of people with similar likings and similar disliking. Like a chess elo rating. Based of novels, based on tags.

What I'm asking right now is the first step. The easiest. A grand first step towards a supreme sorting system.

I don't need anyone to think I'm smart; I know I'm smart. :cool:

17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Too bad none of those is ever going to be implemented.

18. expertsource10

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh, I'm so sad, shaking right now. :cry: I'm going to eat some sugar to uplift my mood. :LOL:

19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Since when do males like deep plots?, my impression has always been that both genders prefer shallow plots on average.