Request Is “TheGamer” a credible news source?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Anra7777, Dec 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yesterday, I did a search and came across some articles from TheGamer from three to four weeks ago I found quite upsetting. If this news is true, I would imagine it would be big enough to be on more sites than just TheGamer, but there’s nothing on any other site. They claimed to have evidence in the articles themselves, but I found the nature of the accusations too distressing to look at the evidence personally.

Does anyone have knowledge of TheGamer and can tell me whether they are a credible news source? I found one rant claiming that they were the worst of clickbait and that they tend to lie, along with other claims, but considering there was nothing backing those claims up, I don’t trust that rant either.

I would like very much to be reassured that the articles I saw yesterday were false and I can safely dismiss them from my mind, but if they’re true, I’m going to continue having trouble reconciling the accusations with my love for certain game characters.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  2. unclebebby

unclebebby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It looks like TheGamer is part of ScreenRant and CBR, which are some one of THE biggest clickbait websites that occasionally may contain truth but it's mostly fiction.

If they are your sole source of information just pretend that you accidentally rad someone's fan fiction news article. Read it for entertainment, but don't take it for truth.

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize that your message is built in a way reminescent of clickbait?

A pressing issue which keeps the viewer in the unknown, where they are compelled to want to find out what is actually happening.

You don't tell us what is the actual news. And since you claim it to be a website which is allegedly not credible, there is no reason why someone should be clicking on it. You are simply giving them free clickbaity views!!

You may not be malicious, but I am just informing you.

4. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    I do recall them, maybe, but I mean it's always best to just look at other places/sources for your information. They seem to also clickbait, not sure by how much or how severe, but they do. Show me the thing you saw on Discord and I'll go check. O.O)/

5. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn’t say the nature of the accusations because I have friends who frequent this forum who love those characters and I haven’t decided whether I should tell them the accusations or not. That, and, sometimes people are unkind, and say that things that others think are a big deal are nothing. I have been called a “snowflake” for being upset by something racist. I have had people on this forum say extremely horrible things to me. (Granted, they are in the minority, but they do exist.) I don’t want to give them possible ammunition for an issue I find important.

6. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah man, she's pretty worrisome, if it's something related to Kingdom Hearts she gets worried.

Ddraig and Anra7777 like this.
  7. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t want to pollute my doggo’s eyes, though. (/ _ ; )

8. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    How about on Discord Anra? o.o)?

9. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Show it to me in a convo, I'll check its validity for you o/

10. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    Blitz I can show it to you if she hasn't sent anything.

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I get it. The moment I saw the thread, I looked up your profile and understood you were a real human and not a bot. But I still felt like telling this to you.

Because, if your profile was one with less than 10 comments or something, I would have straight away reported you as a spam bot for the way that thread was constructed. I am sorry if I come off as crass, but I felt that I should put it across to you more clearly. Because I have seen quite a few threads like this being made by bots. Again, sorry if I made you worry.

12. Ichigoeater

Ichigoeater Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Without the info you're referring to, I can't verify the validity of the claim, but I can 100% tell you that TheGamer is definitely NOT a reliable news source. I second that you take it as fanfiction until you see it on a more reliable site.

13. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem! I’m just... worried. @SquadCammander354 did look at the evidence for me, coward that I am, and confirmed that the accusations seem likely. I’m now just pacing my apartment trying to decide whether to tell my friend.

14. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    I said likely, the problem comes from the fact that he still hasn't been charged for anything, but considering some of the sources, it does seem plausible, but until the police are involved and arrests are made it's still uncertain.

If you like to believe it isn't real, look for other people who may know more, like contacting someone.

At least, I haven't checked whether he has been charged for something. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2020
    Lurking and Anra7777 like this.
  15. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I guess they’re no harm in not telling them until he’s been charged...

16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ......the one with the kissy thing?

17. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    I know both of you. I thought youve interacted before. How curious. Perhaps I should cease Lurking.

Anra7777 likes this.