Recommendations What's your favourite story right now?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by GoldenEye, Dec 15, 2020.

1. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Life is Soup, I am Fork

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! I'm looking for new stuff to read and if you guys have a few favourite stories that you've read or are currently reading, feel free to put the name and genre and let me know your fav part about it.

Thanks in advance!

sithkazar likes this.
  2. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out Beastmaster of the ages, I just started it and have been enjoying it so far. Love the comedic interaction with the MC and his spirit pets. The little chicken reminds me of lord fifth and the meat jelly from ISSTH lmao-xuanhuan novel

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  3. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Have Medicine: xianxia is the main genre
    Full list: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Romance, Shounen Ai, Xianxia
    My favorite part is the world it's set in and the main characters
    The Legitimate Daughter Doesn’t Care: josei is the main genre
    Full list: Comedy, Josei, Romance, School Life, Shoujo, Slice of Life, Supernatural
    My favorite part is the family conflict and how the lead reacts to it
    I Rely On Poverty To Sweep Through Survival Games: horror is the main genre
    Full list: Action, Comedy, Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Supernatural, Yaoi
    My favorite part about it is the humor. All problems are solved through wit, strength, and being poor

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  4. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    I had been into stories like TCF, Novel's Extra, LTBE, and Never Die Extra.

I love how they become the side character of a certain story and then changed it in a way where they could survive.
    Of course not all novels are good just because they got the same settings, it's going to be like another isekai genres later on where you'd be fed up with the typical cliche that's overused. So I'm enjoying it while I still can.

ChimeoftheEnd likes this.
  5. SwordDrake

SwordDrake Slice of Life Lover

Reading List:
    Link
  6. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Magic industry empire

7. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Naruto fanfic, long live the hokage, at least its have abit originality of cn and no wanton killing.

8. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I've just finished it, The Dreamer in the Spring Boudoir. An ancient china romance, predictably josei.

It's got a lot of melodrama, schemes, and tragedy though. What I like about it is that most characters seem many-sided, and not like perfect paper cutouts. They all have flaws, especially the MC, ML, and even the second ML. Even though I HATED some characters in the beginning, the author did a good job whitewashing them and I love them now. Not that it doesn't have its own plot-holes.
    Honestly it was a tough read. But I love it.

9. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Sun Knight - Fantasy. An absolute classic. Constantly re-reading it. Literally one of the wittiest and most hilarious MCs ever.

The Yu Brothers' Case Book - Supernatural mystery/crime (with slight horror), where MC can see ghosts and gets dragged into various murder cases. It's a good plot, but what I really love about the writing is how every single character is unique and has their own important role, even becoming "main characters" in later books. It makes you truly invested in every single one of the characters (rather than just the "main" character), and makes the reading much more enjoyable. Also points a lot to the grey area of the legal/justice system and what makes people commit crimes.

Chen Yue Zhi Yao - Fantasy/rebirth/transmigration. Sadly, translations are dropped for this one. But I've read the raws and it's such an amazing series. Not only does it have one of the most hilarious and unique character premises that automatically gives it a comedic undertone throughout, but it has a really intense plot that basically...turns the entire world setting into a conspiracy. It's a perfect mix of comedy, fluff, drama, and action.

THE REAL AWAKENING - Supernatural psychological/thriller crime (with gore). The plot is really twisted and dark, as well as full of angst. I love how well it sucks you in emotionally, how it describes the complex and conflicting feelings when humans are thrown into despairing situations, how it questions human morals and ethics, how it shows that a single person's wrong action can affect many others, and how it plays out what greed and corruption can do to people. I just finished the raws...translations are only at beginning. It's a...very impactful (aka disturbing) beginning though lol.

10. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got many series that I love....

A series that has a NU page that I love is Cultural Invasion into Isekai. Unique premise, interesting storyline, likable multifaceted characters, and it gives me the childish excitement for magic and exploration of a fantasy world.

11. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    This Young Master is not Cannon Fodder - slow and goalless but the mc has a backing for the most part that is useful for character grow in strength and mind.
    Marvel: A God's Journey - also slow but it doesn't act like others (for now) that the MCU cannon is perfect and pretty much the only thing that can happen or pretty much the center, the author has been using not only comic
    knowledge, but also mythos

12. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the evil lord of an intergalactic empire.

Overlord

13. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    My current love is Adonis. Its has a female swordswoman as the lead that kicks ass. The fantasy world uses some traditional elements like elves and dragons, but makes them its own with unique and extremely well developed world building. On top of that the interactons and character development between the MC and male lead are phenomenal! Almost each new conversation becomes my favorite! Beside just look at the great cover art.

The translations are also top-notch. The translator is putting out two long chapter parts a week and we are currently about halfway through the novel. She has password protected some of the earlier chapters because of theft issues, but you just use the form on the site to ask for the password and its usually not a problem.

14. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I became the first prince: fantasy and adventure story about a legendary sword that obtained a body
    Quickly wear the Face Of the Devil: romantic comedy, world-hopping, 1v1 love
    The Lazy King: fantasy story with multiple POVs, overpowered guy who sleeps

15. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All of my favorite novels of the last few years are either dropped by the translator fairly early on or never translated in the first place. But here's a couple of them:

步步生莲
    This is the best book I've read in the last ten years. It has basically everything you'd want in a kingdom building novel and then some. This book is just so incredibly filled with historical detail, political intrigue, betrayals, long term and short term strategy, shenanigans, lots of war, and a fantastic cast of characters. I go back to this book and reread passages all the time because it's just that good. The language it uses is pretty authentically ye olde Chinese so you're not going to be able to MTL it though.

For a Prosperous World
    It's a much simpler book than the one above, but the writing is still very good; just a lot of meaning stuff into relatively few words. This book is a unique exploration of immorality and it's well worth reading for that alone.

Oh, that sounds interesting! Sadly the description isn't very useful. What's the story about and what is the tone like?

TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  16. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    MC, who was cursed so that 9/10 of his speech has its meaning reversed, wakes up without memories in a new fantasy world where people can get reborn infinite amount of times. He tries to start his life anew in this new world, forming many friendships (all with hilariously unique personalities and mysterious pasts) along the way. Though his ultimate goal is just to live a peaceful life, he ends up getting involved with a ton of conspiracies and obstacles and overcomes them together with his friends.

The series is quite long - it starts off with basically pure comedy, as the MC's curse causes a ridiculous amount of super funny misunderstandings and misleading conversations. As the plot deepens, the tone turns more serious, and even angsty at parts, but thanks to his curse and the author's witty sense of humour, there is still a comedic undertone throughout too that blends in perfectly with the drama and action.

17. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Life is Soup, I am Fork

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem isn't my thing, thanks anyway and I love your signature

18. aelin12

aelin12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My current favorites

Psychic
    The Ghost King's keeper - its an original novel
    Pay attention to me
    Transmigrated into Male Lead's ex-boyfriend

Disolona likes this.
  19. KHA2

KHA2 wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    one of my current favourites is 48 Hours a Day. i like the mc's interactions with various parts of different cultures mythos (y) also I really like the mc's personality and how he be

20. De Lan

De Lan Smartass from blue planet

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be The Lord of the Mysteries
    Will spread his names till The Fool wakes up. Praise Mr. Fool!

The Novel it's self has a very good world's building, it's start quite a slow pace but when the end came it's will be quite quick pace.
    It's involved a lot of mind game, it has the comedy that i want, some part is sad, some is hilarious.