Discussion Do Chinese read too much into stuffs? Or just Author bullshiting.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by redanxela, Dec 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redanxela

redanxela Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So there's this novel finally prompting me to ask this very question "Do Chinese read too much into something?"

Name of the novel is:
    "LOOSING MONEY TO BE A TYCOON."
    nothing fantastic bout it (at least to me) but it's good time waster and for eliciting a few laughs without feeling cringey.

Won't go into details on why I had to ask, will take too long to read, too long to write and most people will probably skip the post, so I'll just go straight in.

MC made a game and it's extremely difficult, So some people stopped playing and asked for refund but somehow there is this Content creator (UP master as he was called in the novel) start going into details that totally doesn't correlate at all.

Like how giving up and getting a refund is freeing yourself from the game difficulty, but (let me Quote the Novel here)
    PART 1
    • QUOTE START FROM HERE**

"However, what will become of your character in the game? it Iooks like he has repented and been saved, but in fact, he has lost the opportunity to change the world forever. He would be no different from the wandering monsters on the Road to the Underworld, who have lost their three immortal souls and seven mortal forms; he would be forced to remain in the bitterness for the rest of eternity. That’s right. The protagonist in the game is suffering, and as are you. Each time he dies, you feel it. If you give up, you may think that you’ve escaped the bitterness; but you’ve also lost the opportunity to change the world forever"

• BRIEF END TO QUOTE***************

And for the choice of using a weapon that drastically reduces the game difficulty but just put the character into a kinda time loop read on and marvel at bullshiting

PART 2
    • QUOTE BEGINS FROM HERE****

"However, these players would be lying to themselves. Players would only achieve the true ending if they put down the Pudu, endure the suffering with their own skills, and fight the boss in hell. Only that would put a real end to the mortal world’s suffering."

• BRIEF END TO QUOTE
    All in All

FINAL PART
    • QUOTE BEGINS FROM HERE****

"If you gave up in the face of difficulty and chose to refund the game, you achieved the ‘repent and be saved ending’. The protagonist gives up on himself and submits himself to endless suffering."

"If you progress quickly through the game using the Pudu and only fight the easy bosses, you achieve the ‘rebirth ending’. However, you would just be lying to yourself and others; the protagonist in the game doesn’t actually escape the rebirth cycle."

"Only by putting down the Pudu, enduring the suffering together with the protagonist in the game, and constantly training yourself to become stronger would you be able to achieve the true ending. Only then would the protagonist have really saved the world. "

• QUOTING ENDS HERE.

Yes my fellow NUF members, you are not wrong this guy is talking about A F**KING GAME.

a bunch of codes, graphics and whatnot joined together for us to thrust ourselves into some virtual world and after some few hours of satisfaction get back to cold harsh truth we call "reality"

Like the Game character can sink in the deepest layer of hell for all I care it's a bunch of f**King Codes. Loosing 126 Yuan (that's around 18 dollars I think? Don't quote me on it) on a game that's so difficult is nigh impossible to complete (did i include total torture) because some GOD-DAMNED character won't save the world.

I do come across stuffs like this frequently, like when MC recites some poem and every other characters become dumbfounded burst into tears and makes them question their very existence and act like they've become enlightend and turned into Buddha because he mentioned some f**King petals or river.

True i have zero artistic sense and i might be listening or reading the greatest poetry in the universe and won't feel a thing but I think maybe the Author is exaggerating a bit too much?

Like Character A can say a single sentence and MC has drawn an entire scheme of how A wants to achieve world domination by fueling his car.

Okay I have gone off topic a bit too much. Main question is, do Chinese as part of culture, history or whatnot like deriving multiple meaning from seemingly normal words/actions or Are this Authors just bullshiting or lastly Am I just simple minded?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    ElrhoX likes this.
  2. redanxela

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG, the post is still very long :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

3. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I think you’re reading a bit too much into this lol. Yes, it’s true that the author is being dramatic but they’re also writing a story about video games so of course there are times where it’s going to be dramatic but well received in the story universe. Of course it’s not that dramatic for us in the real world but the story literally revolves around one thing, is the author supposed to go “and so they all get a refund and now MC is going to become an international spy!”?

It’s not because they’re Chinese, if you’ve ever read a cooking manga or sports manga, they all act like it’s a life or death matter in winning or losing a game/cooking competition. It’s just dramatics for effect, that’s all.

edit: added for sentences cuz I hit submit too fast

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Fuyuneko, Saikyi, c.decora and 5 others like this.
  4. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're the one that's looking into it too much. Most of them time, authors will make up shit for word count. The infodump trap lmao

5. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who has read that story, I'd say it's a mix of usual fanboy behavior (If there are enough people, someone will come up with a weird theory) and Chinese brainwashing (the leader can do nothing wrong, the leader is always right) that's being made fun of.

6. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha!

It's actually quite funny don't you think. But for the question I think it's just the author sending the story forward. Like, if that thing really happen, mc might go bankrupt. Though, I haven't read the novel I think that's one of the author's written crisis for the mc.

But think about it, if such a thing happen in Japanese novel/manga/anime. That speech will be much more longer and more emotional. Maybe there's even a flash back. Or a person who will testify of having been revive after losing hope of living his life. But after playing the game, he thought of his life and compare it to the game. Such as life is like a game. It was hard, but I'd you have up, it was like having up the whole world. Something like that.

I just thought, the author of the Novel you read just gave the novel a reason to move forward.

Hehehe.

I'm not Chinese btw. So, I don't know what they thought as well.
    (。•̀ᴗ-)✧

Fuyuneko and redanxela like this.
  7. redanxela

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the reply, helps clear up some confusion.

Looking back at it, there's tons of stuffs like this hidden in Xianxia/ Xuahuan whatever genre. Just more subtle.

YoriMei likes this.
  8. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exaggerated by author bullshitting. Biggest example would be The Ultimate Evolution. The author of that starts out sweet, with seemingly interesting lore and worldbuilding ( even if the entirety of the worlds visited are all tinted by the chinese jade glasses of extreme willfulness, nepotism and fate bullshit) it endured even in the later stages.

But then you reach the remaining arc. And it's forced, the development took a freaky turn you really did not want and all the buildup from start to end turns into a pile of manure.

Chinese authors seem to correlate character intelligence with impossible guesses made on zero actual information and the character, of course nailing the predicted course of events, act cocky despite doing nothing but blind guessing based on whatever they could imagine and discarding every idea the author himself doesn't want to use "coincidentally".

The reason I say your option includes a little bit of both is that I play a chinese tled to english idle cultivation game myself. It does have unreasonably strong enemies ( for a f2p anyway) and random elements ( the stronger the sect you can join, based on your cultivation, the stronger the finisher move you can learn from them for contribution with a single exception) Afterglow palace is a mere earthly sect where you can join after a couple hours of gameplay and receive an attack with a modifier equal to finisher moves from much later ( weeks to several months later of gameplay real time) when you are in Immortal stages.

redanxela and LollipoPReapeR like this.
  9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    To tell the truth, your post was too long, didn’t read.

Even without reading your post, I’ll take a stab at an answer. I don’t know about China, per se, but I was a Japanese major, and written Japanese is based on Chinese. Kanji, which are still particularly close to Chinese characters, each character by itself can have multiple meanings and when combined with other kanji, the meanings only grow. So, just from the language alone, the culture seems built to derive multiple meanings from everyday words.

Or you can just listen to what the other people have written in the time it took me to write this, and yes, you’re thinking too much, and maybe by only paying attention to your last paragraph I’ve made a fool of myself. :blobsweat_2:

Lokum, ICe and Aachiin0914 like this.
  10. redanxela

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, If I ever come across something that absurd I'll just slit my throat and be done with :blob_grin::blob_grin:

ElrhoX and Aachiin0914 like this.
  11. Dearest_Reader

Dearest_Reader 【I, Who Mewls In The Distance】【The Lazy Traveler】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, @YoriMei is right, I think you have read into this too much. Take shokugeki no soma for example, most judges felt like the taste is so holy that they could strip their clothes off.
    Even so, I can get why you’re ranting about it. Sometimes the authors exaggerate unnecessary things that wouldn’t make me feel touched or I would feel bored when I see too much details going over one act.
    Just think that MCs or characters had a elementary/grade syndrome, It would be much wiser not to look into it further because you will keep ranting it in the future. Take it as an experience.

12. redanxela

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I knew I wrote too much. It just kinda kept coming. I wrote the post cause I'm actually a bit perplexed since I do come across it a lot and considering I don't read JP, KN and published works for years, I wasn't so sure if it's something they all shared.

But anyways thanks for replying and I also include the culture since I heard some Chinese characters can have different meaning as Wells as "Chinese speak three points, you guess the remaining seven points" (lol can't recall where I read that from anymore,) so I also thought that might be the reason for such.

I probably read too much into it though. :blobpats:

Anra7777 and ICe like this.
  13. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just thinking about it, being a chuuninbyou speech! You hit it bro.

More Importantly, it won't happen in reality. People in this time is more toxic. A small bug in a game will cause a company to lose Thousands of dollars.

People complain even just little things. And this kind of hell mode game will sink into Oblivion because it was not well like by players. Or might instead be place on top unsolve games and became a legend where it can be featured in no game no life. Or make Keima Katsuragi played it after playing otome games for a week.

Dearest_Reader likes this.
  14. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll give anyone a like if they can summarize those paragraphs in 4-5 sentences.

Lokum likes this.
  15. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are talking about the novel
    "quit is for losers, refund is for pussies."

if you are talking about the summary of the post
    "How could the author type that much bullshit"

redanxela likes this.
  16. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a a chinese thing, lets remember they had the most stable empire in history, ok, they were fragmented and rebuilt lots of time but the empire itself stood, this gave rise to a culture of bureaucracy ('cause you need paperwork to run an empire) that valued memorization as intelligence, so "intelligent people" would be measured by their ability to repeat stuff and the number of memorized books
    And since they had the very same classic books from a long time, the ability to link current stuff to the classics was also considered "intelligence"
    And since the classics have some grandiose stuff in them, the ability to spout grandiose nonsense can be used as a substitute for intelligence in characters
    As some other people said, the characters also have several meanings so a phrase can be reworked into plenty of bullshit by tangential association

redanxela likes this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    over dramatic~
    as for poetry, poem, song or whatnot~ china rich on culture for that so yeah they like such stuff or know lot of it hence imo author may come up with such thing for word count~ oh not to mention philosophy lul~
    anyway yes imo da language itself which based on sound? that have many similar or same pronounce indeed can make pun quite fun so multiple meaning can happen~

oh btw on historical story you may encounter flowery word, roundabout way to describe something which cuz this cat personality this cat kinda hate it~ oh also people may say proverb or singing just to express thing~ feel like reading opera~

redanxela likes this.
  18. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, a content creator used Big Brain logic to explain how awesome a Dark Souls-like game is and how giving up on playing the game means you're a low-key loser at life.
    He basically convinces everyone to keep masochistically playing a game that's been purposely made too hard. The MC doesn't want anyone to buy his games because he gets more money that way (from his System), so he doesn't understand how everyone is buying the load of bull the content creator is shoveling out.

The premise of the story is watching the MC comically become successful when he doesn't want to. The System doesn't let him take a salary and only pays the MC a tiny amount of the profits, so it's like watching the MC suffer for being successful.

aegis062 likes this.
  19. redanxela

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat_2::blobjoy:

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a bit of exaggeration going on, but it's probably a lot less than you think there is. Words having double and triple meanings have been a staple of Chinese history for thousands of years, and this has been emphasized over and over again by both Chinese fiction and folklore. And the way that this phenomenon manifests itself today is that there is a lot of fiction where there is tons of meaning not only conceal in words, but also in gestures, glances, and other nonverbal communication.

Personally, I really like all this stuff when it's written well. It just adds a lot of depth to the world and the characters and I find that these books are some of the most social I've ever come across. Not surprisingly, it also means that political intrigue stories that use this are extremely involved and multilayered. It really does make other kinds of political intrigue feel a lot weaker.

21. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    ... But literally, there are people like that in every fandom, no?

Beren likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.