Question Starting an alternative translation

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Betamax6, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Betamax6

Betamax6 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick question followed by a rant

Is it ok, according to the rules of this site, to translate a story that is already being translated by somebody else? I will go in to details of why below but that is my question.

The reason i am unhappy with the current "translator" and i use the term loosely about this gentleman is the following.

1) The website he runs is riddled with literally dozens of popups every time you try to access it.

2) The translation is terrible, and nothing more than a quick google translate with (maybe some) name adjustments. I have gotten better results just using bing translator and nothing else.

3) This guy is being a real dick about this and acting like he is putting down hours of work and huge amounts of money when he clearly is not, also claiming that the complaints about pop ups and such are the user’s problem and nothing caused by his website.

So based on all of the above i am going to just translate the thing myself and if its allowed to post the thing here im going to. I could just let a better translation live on my hard drive but it feels like a waste when wordpress is free and others want to read it.

So TL:DR: Current translator is pop, i want to post an alternative translation. Is that allowed on the site or is it not?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your translations can be linked to NU if they meet any of the criteria mentioned in the link below: https://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/

Also, if you believe the current translation is mostly unedited MTL, you may report it and if proved to be true, it will be removed.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  3. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as you start from chapter 1 there's no problem I think since you're not sniping or trying to.

otaku31 likes this.
  5. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do it, who's better reader will know

6. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    1-Start from chapter 1
    2- make sure that your translation is noticebly "different" (aka not copy paste with minor grammatical edits)
    3-remember to have fun (most "poaching wars" result in only two things: drama and both sides involve in the war dropping the project once the drama is over)
    9-Profit??????

7. Betamax6

Betamax6 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for all of the answers.
    If the policy is to start from chapter 1 then the time investment is just to steep for me, but hopefully the current translator will get his act together.