Discussion A Place to Rant about Sovieshu from 'Remarried Empress'

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Cynge42, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Tarnar

Tarnar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Cynge42

Cynge42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I'm not a fan of either MLs, whether it is Henley or Sovieshu, nor the MC really.

[SPOILER Sovieshu-]
    •Watched his father bring concubine after mistress into the palace
    •Saw how hurt his mother was because of it
    •Instead of talking to his wife At All he decides for himself that:
    1. Wife is infertile
    2. He's going to take a mistress
    3. He is frustrated by all his expectations not being met by wife, ie.,
    A. Wife should be treating his mistress better
    B. Wife should be happy he has a child because he's "doing this for her"
    C. Wife should still love him and want to be intimate with him
    D. Wife should not look at any other guy, but if she does she should look domestically, not foreignly, but not really
    5. Decides to divorce wife (actually Talked to mistress about it, so we know he is capable)
    6. And all the other decisions he kept to himself instead of including his partner. (Like the trade agreement, etc.)
    •Continuously puts wife down, never building her up once. The only time he was decent was the 2 red dresses incident, and that is it
    •Compares wife to mistress (such a scummy thing to do any way you look at it)
    •He also decides to cover up any wrong doings mistress commits, including being a runaway slave
    •Actually tried to force wife to take care of mistress, get her a lady-in-waiting, throw mistress a party, he gave mistress gifts on behalf of wife, etc.

He is emotionally abusive to his wife. He is a selfish, conceited, control freak, who expects to have his cake and all of his wife's cake too. [SPOILER/]

[SPOILER Heinley-]
    •Started out scouting for weaknesses to begin a war
    •Became weirdly angsty/obsessive about Navier too soon, with no growth seen by the readers (manga-wise)
    •Fell for a married woman (which is different than the point above)
    •Expected Navi to spill her guts, give everything of herself, but barely gave breadcrumbs to her.
    •I never like the other party involved in splitting up a marriage, so that was a Huge mark against him.
    •Acts immature (from the spoilers) I know some men don't grow up until they have a child, but its not an excuse to act that way.

For me his only redeemable act would be being there for Navi when her husband decided to divorce her without talking to her. Sovieshu gets to make his choices, but he doesn't get to choose his consequence. [SPOILER/]

[SPOILER Navi-]
    •Didn't talk to her husband about anything that was bothering her. (Any marriage will fail if there is no communication)
    •When she finally did "talk" she yelled at him and wanted to talk about the trade project being taken away from her
    •Did not go all in for her marriage (and again, marriages don't survive if either spouse has a foot out the door). The same could be said for Sovieshu too, of course
    •And of course looked elsewhere when she was dissatisfied with her marriage (which I don't blame her, but I also don't condone this either) [SPOILER/]

I don't like any of them really, but if we were making a pros/con list Sovieshu will lose everytime. I keep adding to his list as I work on the other 2 lists. It seems like every choice he makes is just the worst, most hurtful, clueless, idiotic thing the author can think of for him to do.

While Heinly is a cold, distant, schemer, he still seems to treat Navi better than Sovieshu by a long shot.

4. Cynge42

Cynge42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the chapter called The First Night after the author talks about the wedding night between Navi and Heinley. Then we get to the next section of Sovieshu super drunk.

I read a little section of this somewhere where it was hard to figue out exactly what was written and who was saying what, so I thought I would look for a better translation and read the section where I mistakenly thought Sovieshu was starting to feel bad for what he put Navi through.

But nooooooooooooo!!! Not Sovieshu. He jumps to the conclusion that Navi must not have felt anything for him since she reacted indifferent.

Heaven forbid Sovieshu should take any of the responsibility for:
    1. Bringing home a slave girl (not even a commoner)
    1a. Did not have her checked for pregnancy or other diseases before having s*x with her.
    2. Shoving Rash in Navi's face Every Time they saw each other
    3. Had the gall to ask Navi to be Trasha's friend/mentor
    4. Sent gifts to Rash in Navi's name
    5. Asked Navi to find her ladies-in-waiting
    6. Told Navi to be more like Rash

This list could go on and on, But my main point is Sovieshu feels good about himself for not putting Navi thru what he was feeling seeing her marry another man.

The audacity and stupidity of this man has no bounds. The only thing is- we are all accepting this story, and continue to read it even though this man needs to be thrown off a plane with no parachute. Do we know someone like this in real life? Is he a combo of men we all know in our lives. Why do I keep reading and going back to find more and more only to be astounded once again for his selfish stupid self.

Grace34 likes this.
  5. cmonson

cmonson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Question/Theory
    Does Duke Elgry actually like Rashta or is he solely using her. I know he's manipulating her, but I cant tell at this point (chap 222). Part of me wonders if the dead child she held was his child with the women he actually loved, and now he's doing all this shiz with Rashta to get revenge for his child. IDK, thoughts?