Request Anyone with experience publishing ebooks?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Jan 2, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I need a mentor. I will start publishing ebooks soon and want to do it right.
    Thanks in advance

@Ai chan

userunfriendly likes this.
  2. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a good editor. Someone that can tells you where things are weird and how to write this and that. Pay for it.

I have zero books published, but that much I know.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Paying for editors with $250 budget is already considered very cheap. $1000 would be a safe budget to get a decent one though that info was back from a few years ago (professionals from industry took freelance editing gigs and should cost more). For self-publishing ebooks readers don't expect for professional grade editings so you could get away from rehiring people you've worked with to do re-edit in case the ebooks you wanted to publish on your site already. What does more important in self-publishing ebooks than editing is professional looking cover, since anyone could tell from a glance which ones of amateur novelists/publishers from the efforts put into the book cover.

Also, publishing in Amazon Kindle, you'll benefit from having giving away your ebooks for free during 5 day periods since every book hit will give you ranking momentum. And many traffics to your ebooks would come from Amazon's search, so putting efforts in selecting the right keywords do pay. Back when I was active a few years ago Kindlepreneur was one of the top content creators on Kindle marketing--he has both his own website and youtube channel.

In ebook publishing email marketing is still the king so you'd want to invest more on writing contents for scheduled mailing list.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    ElefantVerd and Wujigege like this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, Ai-chan forgot to reply. What questions do you have?

5. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like to read things, there are a lot of free ebooks on Amazon on writing and publishing.

6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What are your warnings for someone who is starting out?

7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan's advice would be don't think that money grows on trees. Don't expect that just because you put it up people will buy it. People say that if you build it, they will come. But that doesn't apply to books. If people do not know about what you have built, they won't come. It is very hard for any amateur title by amateur authors to be known.

For new authors, their books are unlikely to be seen. Amazon KDP does highlight new titles for awhile, but new titles come up regularly and your title will likely be buried if you depend on that. Ai-chan got a bonanza on the first two months, yes, but that's because Ai-chan's been religiously marketing Ai-chan's book before the actual publishing date a year in advance.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you think about Woopread/the Qidian model that sells each chapter for pennies?
    https://woopread.com/series/kill-the-hero/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.