How do you refer westeners and easteners? And why there is no centeners?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OurPrinceNiki, Jan 5, 2021.

1. OurPrinceNiki

OurPrinceNiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have seeing this label many times and I don't know why most of people refers asians as easteners and american, latin, european, africans, russians and even aussies are cosidered westener.
    Like Russia and Australia are literally at the east of the world map but their literature is considered westeners or people living there are labeled as westeners. I don't know if this happens to you is just I am confused on why there is this westeners and easteners, and how this label functions because it differs from country to country.
    Last thing, why the center countries literature are considered westeners when they aren't even on the west but literally at the middle of the world map?
    But literally though, how does this label in either literature and daily life function?

But the most confusing thing is... Why indians or any other country that it is in asia like russia or turkey are not considered as asians? Is it because they don't have the same features like the chinese, koreans and japanese? So how they should be labeled if they aren't considered asians?

2. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    Easterners probably refer to countries like China, Korea, Japan, etc and I dont rlly know. It just came natural for me. this is a good question

Illisaide likes this.
  3. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Its mostly to do with the age of exploration kind of thing. The majority of the Russians are to the west of the Ural mountains, everything east is mostly untamed wilderness with a mostly mining and hunting towns. There of course a sprinkling of military bases at that area. Australia is mostly western because of its White Majority. The history of Australia is instresting because its similar to how the New England Colonies were founded. mostly as a place to send prisoners and dissidents as well as political and religious refugees.

Maps can be redrawn to have any country/continent as the center. Its just convient for most cases because you can have the pacific ocean as the borders.

People tend to label those that have the korean/japanese/chinese look as Eastern because its quite distinct.

Coffea to Ell and Illisaide like this.
  4. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    *Westerners and Easterners

MrSplashy likes this.
  5. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    As people always like to as people always will, people like to label people and create stereotypes and archetypes, simply because people like to label things. Natual human instinct ig

6. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you go back far enough it's about the dominant cultures around the Mediterranean compared to those around the Indian and Pacific. Their colonies got included. But like most general terms about people it's fairly meaningless and always was.

The one useful thing is that each of the two tended to share culture, warred, traded, etc. back in the day when people rarely travelled more than a few miles in their lifetimes. That's not enough to do much with, but up to the 1400's their histories/cultures are fairly separate. Shrug.

imK and Coffea to Ell like this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no need for centerners as everyone is self-centered.

8. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's related to history. Tho I don't really dwell on that aspect.
    As someone from a country that was colonized by Europeans, it just natural for us to call European and American "Westerners". They first came by boat sailing from the west. And because European mostly white, from then on we call any white person as westerner not caring whether they actually from a western country or not.
    We were once colonized by the Japanese too, and because they named themself as a country where the sun rising from they easily get the "east" title. Tho, in my country, if we say "Easterners" it included Arab countries so pretty much most of Asia. But specifically "Easterners" mean those from East Asia.
    Why no centerners(?), because we view ourselves as the center of the power struggles...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Coffea to Ell likes this.
  9. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that's the perception you'd get if you're readings or grow up in English centric media. Even the so called third world is not actually all that different from some region in Midwest or flyover state.

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Centerners would be the middle easterners. We don't talk about them because there will always be someone declaring war at any given time. So to avoid being declared, we try to ignore them.

11. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a separation was created by our ancestors. I don't know the exact reason for this, but we have been accustomed to recognizing people since childhood.

I think the reason is that eastern and western cultures are dramatically different in a variety of ways. Identity is a major difference between the east and west. While westerners' image involves mostly self-identity, easterners' image involve the community. In eastern cultures the idea of unity and harmony has dominated for generations. In western cultures the idea of independence was praised. Both styles has its benefits and one is not "better" than the other.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    because current history is based on how Europe view the world, even USA is by fact originated from Europe immigration for colonization on "new world". Thats why Europe and USA think they on same side, similarly Australia which similar with USA made from Europe migration so it kinda on western side.

Asia contact on early phase mostly with China and India iirc cuz they on east side of Europe da lazy bum just said whole asia as eastern~ funny stuff da navigation search for other way to across world to find "spice country" that European on past think it was India lead to discovery of America continent thats why they called the native Indian lol. Later it found that nope its not India ehi called as Spices country but way for east on current region called South East Asia.

Why European bother go around circle to search spices? Spices was as valuable as gold or silver back then and on one part of region that connect western and eastern the lazy bum called middle east cuz meh western culture is more noble than eastern so just called it middle east, raise a force that halt spices trades~ more like spices become too pricey~ and other stuff which this cat already forget~

now how about western side black sheep aka da Russia? oh well it have to do with world war 2 umm more about da raise of USSR and its cliche, so da Russian put middle paw to Europe said meh vodka way better than wine then Europe join USA formed NATO and the rest us history~

now let's move into region which almost forgotten cuz Western based view on various side~
    meet Africa and Oceania~ da heck is Oceania? it is region on pacific ocean, the largest ocean on earth so big that.... just search yourself~ Africa and Oceania kinda forgettable no? with recent grow Africa seem on better side cuz china investment and various stuff but Oceania nah~ this cat dunno is New Zealand and Australia connection with Oceania~

Other part region is Southern America which dubbed as America Latin or Latin America? Why? cuz well another ex colony of Europe mainly the Southern Europe hmm Spain Portuguese and other~

so that what you get, basically cuz Europe based or biased view history which now used as standard on historical stuff~

further reading
    cat
    catnip
    Cake
    soda

this cat is lazybum
    19656.png

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh another part, why eastern associated with east asia which consists of China, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea and Japan? cuz western side know more about and care about those side~
    Silk Road, Japan isolation policy, industry age revolution, opium war and Tea export, world war 2, cold war stuff~

too much materials~
    both sleep small.png

Turkey case, technically it is country that sit upon continent barrier so some part on western some part on eastern and their culture is like that~ recent movement da Turkey prefer western side on political and still on process to join EU that was before Erdogan (current Turkey leader) or close.... meh already forget~

that summary for ya question~

choco dance.gif

14. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    The westeners and easteners made my head ache more >.>

This sense of west and east is only because of egocentric people in the annals of history. I can claim my county to be the center of the world and it can still be right because the world is round blobmelt_thumbs (unless u flat earth enthusiast)

15. RobiN0963

RobiN0963 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its divided based on the style not geography. Western is more open-minded compared to Eastern styles

16. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    My understanding is that anglo-saxon literature is western and mainland asia literature is eastern. But honestly, it's super confusing.

17. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    The Western world is any place that Pre-WW1 would be considered Christian minus Ethiopia.

Eastern is anything that was East of the Ottoman Empire and not Considered Western

If we look at Africa for the most part Culturally it's ignored, due to lack of writing and "civilisation".

America is considered Christian hence Western same with Australia + New Zealand. That French island group is still actually part of France hence Western.

18. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are "centerners", but who they are depends on where you live. "Centerners" here would be considered people from central and eastern Europe (since I live in western Europe). The Balkan countries, parts of Russia. (This is a bit ironic because as a Swede, Poland isn't technically further east than I am, just a bit further south. You gotta remember we are largely talking about the divides between cultures here, not necessarily their geographical location. For example, Finland is further east than some of the central countries, but they're a western country because they're part of the Scandinavian cultural blanket. Poland has a very different cultural history and is historically more entwined with Ukraine, Belarus and so on.)

The middle east would also be considered somewhat "center", but because those are different cultures on a wholly different level, those tend to belong to the "east" in the mindset of people who live here. That's changing, though, it's coming much closer due to the recent immigrations, large parts of which are middle eastern.

19. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also a lack of "Northerners" and "Southerners" as a widely-used term civilization wise.

imK likes this.
  20. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    To me it's old and antiquated. I'm of mixed Māori descent and considered a westerner because my people chose to settle in Aotearoa, which was later forcibly colonized through invasion by the British Monarchy. I've always wondered why the English were given so much shit for doing what conquerors always did in various areas, including the East. Maybe because they admitted it was bad? It wasn't just the English that invaded and colonized other peoples *cough cough hypocrisy cough cough*.

PS: To anyone who wants to have a go about western cultures not having levels of formality in their speech, filial piety or "face" as a part of their cultural identity, come fight me. I've got an ass whipping of education to give you.

PPS: Also, don't understand why people sleep on African history. Same deal for India too. So much culture and development over human history with them as well. All cultures fascinate me, bar the fascination with willful ignorance and bs thinly veiled as "jokes".