Any advices for college?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alairia, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Alairia

Alairia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ Title. Going to college soon and wanted some useful advices from y'all if you got any. Thanks you in advance

2. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    Always keep a lighter and OCB with you.
    Always keep mint candy in the bag.
    Always listen well to practical/Lab class or else it gonna bite you back at the end of the year.
    Always keep chips, instant noodles in stock.
    An electric kettle is essential.

ENJOY YOUR COLLEGE LIFE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN BECAUSE WHAT COMES AFTER IS UTTER DESPAIR.

3. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Finish assignments and term papers ASAP,
    group work will either be easy or a nightmare depending on who u end up Being group with,
    Don't fuck up the main exams.

12300 likes this.
  4. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1.Don't be afraid to talk to your professor during their scheduled hours outside of class. A lot of them are willing to help students who seek help in their classes.

2. Shower. Others will appreciate it and so will you down the line.

3. If you go to parties never let anyone else give you an open drink

Jevanka926, Ai chan, c.decora and 4 others like this.
  5. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't go $100k in debt for a useless degree. Learn something useful.

justmehere, Ai chan, Alairia and 2 others like this.
  6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Do your assignments, keep your attendance perfect, and suck up to your professors.

7. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just enjoy every moment, ups and downs of your college life. It's actually not much different than during highschool.

c.decora and Alairia like this.
  8. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless it's a law medical or engineering school don't waste your money go get a real job maybe a learn a trade make some money and buy a house

FIEND and reagents 11 like this.
  9. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for a better branch than a college, if you are in a developing nation. Coming from someone who has experienced it first hand.

10. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Space out ur schedules so you have proper rest time

11. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    College will be different from what your use to. There will be people that will still be in that Highschool mindset. While others will seems mature beyond their years. Stay away from the drama and focus on your studies. There will be distractions, but always remember why your there.
    I recommend community college for your base credits. Than head to university. Personally the way I see universities as a job fair. Your there to find your dream career. Although I got a degree. I decided to travel the world. I often wish I tried different fields, but I hated being in debt and I was always a hands on kind of guy. I like working with my hands.
    But what I remember in college was that I learn independence. I learn to grow up and found my self worth. This is a chance for freedom to do whatever you always wanted to do. Take the jump and see where you land. It may not be where you thought you’d be, but as long as your happy. That’s all that matters.
    Good luck

12. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to keep organized so you can balance work and play
    Skim readings. There are a lot. You will probably be able to get by without doing them unless there's a quiz or something
    Try and get involved in clubs and things! You'll meet so many more people and make lots of good memories ~

Alairia and Deleted member 38284 like this.
  13. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Keep track of all due dates and other important times. I failed my first semester because I missed a final exam by two hours due to it being earlier than the normal class time.

2. Finish assignments as soon as possible. Don't procrastinate and don't leave them for later. If you can do it within the same week as they were assigned to them.

3. Whenever you work on projects be it individual or group, make an outline. An outline will save your life, provide a structure to build the project around, and keep your team members aware of what's going on.

4. Talk to professors, develop a relationship, and get feedback on projects often. Especially if the professor is one who teaches multiple classes in your field of study and you can get him semester after semester.

If you need examples of outlines or answers you can DM here. Real advice is instrumental specially if you come from and education system that doesn't prepare you for college. I did full time dorm college, full time online, full time in person +40 hour workdays, etc. I failed and succeeded enough in my 8 years of college to know the ins and outs of when to grind and when you can take shortcuts.

14. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    socialize. monitarily, connections are your most profitable takeaway from college, as they can open doors for you. Not saying you should party every day. an example of what I mean is study groups : join them, make them, and get to know them. You study as group, overcome challenge as group, and you come out of it hopefully with a good grade and connections to those who may work in a similar field.

A friend of mine got hired because his study group friend who found a job had a boss who wanted some more employees and now he works with his study group friend who is now a work buddy. He didn't even apply to any jobs yet and he snagged something right out of college. It's not a long term type of job for him (he said he'll probably try to get a bettter job in a couple of years), but it's good money for what he's doing so he's happy to have some good income right off the bat.

So yea, socialize, make connections, retain contact informations, and make an impression so when you contact them years later, you can easily remind them of who you are (or were).

15. suza751

suza751 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on your major, get a part time job. Non-STEM majors can easily manage 2-3 shifts per week. The work expierence and money will be useful, eventualy can transition to internships.
    If your a STEM major, your gonna have plenty of time. You just won't be aboe to fathom a part time job. Its gonna be a 50 hour a week commitment. 15-20 hrs in clas, 30 or more at home. Just grind

16. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't do drugs, kid.

17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't be scared of failing. College is like a demo of real life, so try to adapt as quickly as you can. Take care of your hygiene. It really helps you keep your focus. As for academics... I am not gonna put any pressure on you. Just try to talk to upperclassmen, and they will introduce you to the course load. Connect with people and seniors.

c.decora likes this.
  18. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Win and succeed at any cost.

19. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • If you don't know how to cook, learn to cook. It's an incredibly useful skill. If you're low on money you can usually get friends to buy raw ingredients and you can cook meals for everyone. Plus cooked meals tend to be tastier than most things you can find around a college campus
    • Socialize. Gaining friends and contacts is as important as learning. Some would argue it's an even more important.
    • Have a plan for dealing with laundry.
    • Learn how to budget your time.
    • Do not leave studying for last minute. You'll retain better if you evenly spread out your studying during the week.
    • Don't skimp on sleep. If you've got breaks between clasess and you didn't get what you needed during the night, naps are not a bad idea.

20. Heartless

Heartless May your heart be your guiding key

Reading List:
    Link
    This might sound overall cold, but one of the most important things is that you make friends. And not just any friends, making friends within the field of study you are taking. Making friends outside of that is nice as well. But ultimately they cannot help you or team up with you in the events of group assignments. It might sound harsh, but making connections with people is one of the few advantages going to collage offers.

Another thing to consider, is to take courses that will teach you knowledge that you want to know. Don't take the easy way out with those "free point-giving courses", it will come back and bite you in the end. Basically, take courses that you find interesting or necessary. Collage will be very stressfull, so why make it less enjoyable when you don't have to.

Keep up a regular schedule of studying, don't slack off in the beginning of each term since you "got time". Study from the start and you won't die from your stress-induced stomach ulcers when the exams or general deadlines arrive.

Take regular breaks too. Have fun with friends, it is your collage years afterall. These will be some of the greatest years of your life. Go to parties, hang out at the cinema with friends or go bowling. Just remember that, while taking breaks is fine. "Taking breaks" while disregarding the "studying regularly part" is a no-go. Many geniuses, do this. Since that is exactly what they have been doing so far. They never had the real need for regular study, they could just brain through each exam and homework. This is not the case for College. While you might get away with it for a year or so, the bad behavior will haunt you in the years to come. Once you get to the higher and more advanced levels of education, you cannot get away with not studying. And this will affect those who never have done so before, the most.

Buy coffee, loads of it. No matter how well you followed the advice above, you will still have many sleepless nights ahead of you. Perhaps due to your professor's negligence of sharing the deadlines or otherwise. You will need to stay awake for long periods of time.

Anyway, have fun.

Cream likes this.