Discussion Chinese novel and racism

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by gegehehe8686, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't get it do you. They CHEERED having those people murdered. Popularity and morality can be 2 very different issues.

And in case you did not remember, Chamberlain was very happy about getting his "Peace Treaty" before Germany went all conquestidore regardless of what happened inside Germany, so you could already see the attitudes of the countries then even when the murders were happening.

2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So when did China become worse than Nazi Germany in recent times? From all accounts about international relations, they were more the punching bag in recent years than the aggressor. I suspect the person posting that comment was "influenced" by all the anti-China propaganda put out by American media in the recent years since they have not had any outstanding cases of war brutality between countries. Even the Korean War and the Sino-Vietnam conflict was relatively tame in terms of their participation.

And as you said, the victor writes the history. So maybe you might want to consider that all that anti-Germany bias might not be balanced after all? If Germany did not have a disasterous foreign policy, people like Chamberlain would still be saying "Peace in our time" and ignore what was going on inside Germany as long as the other countries are not affected and Hitler would not have been subjected to the media bombardment that happened during and after the war, which would not have resulted in him becoming a byword for tyranny.

3. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Germanies policy in general was the definition of shit. Internal and external alike. Among the europeans its a bit better known, but particulary among germans there is no debate about it (if we ignore the german version of maggats). The economic policies were unsustainable, and the result a matter of time. Greed might have been sufficient to silence the people giving a fuck about human rights, but the press is rarely silenced when it comes to foreign matters.
    And in regards to China:
    1: You apparently have no bloody clue
    2: History will almost certainly repeat itself.

4. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In regards to this discussion:
    1. China certainly is not putting people into literal DEATH CAMPS, nor are they starting WARS for resources. And while they have their propaganda, it's certainly not to the point of being comparable to Nazi Germany, although perhaps it was back in the era of the Cultural Revolution. After the 改革开放 (The Opening of China?), it's been a great deal less radical, although recently Xi Jinping's been bringing it back, based on my limited knowledge of politics :p.
    2. Woops, that's politics territory.

5. Dotencsure

Dotencsure Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are certainly not worse than Nazi
    but they did put minority Muslims in concentration camps..

6. aShinyVaporeon

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, I'm aware of that. But comparing them to Nazis, well, that's a bit too far. Even Murica had concentration camps (of Japanese Americans) during WWII. Not saying the CN government's actions there are moral by any means, but, ugh, Nazi Germany was just waaaaay too much.

Dotencsure likes this.
  7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The US has detention camps right now. Same with Australia and a bunch of other Western countries. It's not nearly as uncommon as we would like to believe.

applebeans likes this.
  8. aShinyVaporeon

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, really? Didn't know that :/
    Welp, what can I say. Guess I'll search it up.

9. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone living in the SEA region and experiencing China's bullshittery actions i simply have 0% trust in them.... A lof of SEA peeps do. :blobpeek: and its even worst now....

10. Dotencsure

Dotencsure Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True..

11. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    You do know why Chamberlain wanted Peace in our time right? Like take an actual look at Great Britain during this time period and it's economy and compare it with how we see Nazi Germany portrayed. As well as taking a look at the British army, navy and airforce.

12. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As one of the countries that is not even commonly remembered by masses as japan's war victims... I can detect subtler japanese nationalism in novels and hate it when they make other countries into stereotypes. It ruins my enjoyment when they start implying japanese [anything] is the best and is the height of luxury/life, like spreading their culture... and depicting everyone to be just melting for it like i.e. Onsen, so it's good that jp MC spread the culture right? It's so great because now everyone in the world can experience the japanese culture.
    When I meet japanese people they plainly don't know about the international history. I don't hate them for that war, but I'm still salty they don't even know it. While my country's people keeps saying we're bffs with japaaann just because of sakura products and anime :blobsweat_2:

Edit: I think that's why isekai genre is so meh to me, the native people of the worlds are so culture-less they'd just adopt any new culture without question.. or they'd be derivatives of western country X or Y

13. LightDown

LightDown Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    onsen may not be for everyone but westerners enjoyed similar concept in the past and even now with a lot of places near volcanoes being a great onsen spot outside of japan, where people come and bath. historically speaking, rome used to enjoy it in their bath house, and there are alot of hotspring spots you can find here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hot_springs.

looks like your international history only extends so far as to your own country and its victimization.

14. applebeans

Reading List:
    Link
    If this thread is about international history, I will talk more about it, but it's not. I am aware of bathing houses and hot springs and cold springs. - _ -
    victimization- I have said that I don't hate japanese people for that war, but it is a fact that we were hit in that war, I'm not victimising my own country, but there's really no other word that victim for that situation. I'm talking about specifically japanese way of enjoying onsen. The specific wood to use in the building, the specific food to eat and drinks after finishing, the specific way of descending to the water and what you say or wear during the experience. After which the MC would continue teaching the underlings way of enjoying life itself according to him because he knows best. And they would continue to be enlightened.

15. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the same way as a hot bath is somehow considered the peak of civilized life, japanese cuisine is smh superior to a cuisine which could abuse magic to amplify it significantly. It also has to be added that the teaching MC is usually a complete noob at cooking. Might as well compare my incompetent arse to a peak chef from france or sth. Also the writers are something I like to call "Katana Cultists".

aShinyVaporeon and applebeans like this.
  16. aShinyVaporeon

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer to think it's because the writers want to praise japanese culture so much that they intentionally make worlds without much culture. Not saying that JP culture is bad, it's certainly very cool, but it's not as if the other cultures have nothing to offer. Well, it's kind of like the ones where MC transmigrates into a low-tech world and shows off his modern knowledge - it's so common there are two tags for that. Usually isekai worlds haven't developed to the point where they have many of the universal luxuries/tech we have today, eg. soap, makeup, proper cooking, steel-making, shampoo, conditioner, bathing etc. So the MC can slap the superior product from their world(sometimes japanese) in their faces. And it's less complicated than, say, introducing motors or guns would be.

As for isekai, it's generally fun to see how an MC reacts to/builds power in another world, but after you read a bunch of isekais with similar MCs and worlds, well, it gets old.

17. applebeans

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, well pretty much everyone loves their country. Obviously, in our world Japan is admired by many people and many wish to be japanese. Their people are highly capable and that makes most protagonists skillset belivable. Most of the times I can just turn off my brain and enjoy a series, but once stories include 'saviour' of these helpless people and overwriting other cultures, I can't take it as innocent fantasy anymore :blobsweat_2:

I don't hate japan, I'm an otaku myself. I just don't think anime or manga substitutes for actual nation-nation policy. I adore their ways of life but I don't think it should ever replace any other countries's way of living nor are others less for not having jpn's innovations.

probably they don't mean it at all, but that in itself is scary to me. Excessive cn nationalism can ruin stories for me when it doesn't sound forced by gov and very much intended to put down all other countries aside from cn. It's worse when any story manages to convince me the 'foreigner' is a bad guy -- I immediately put down the book. Same way it bugs me when some villainess novels has evil korean transmigrated-OG!FL, but that's their own country so they have a say on that.

Mostly I think people write things because they're convenient, for plot, for the MCs, or for the author. It's intended audience is their own people so ofc they'd have nationalism thrown in (responding more to OP). The author will only benefit from appealing to their people.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  18. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    RI was banned/author was threatened to have career ended because RI demonstrated the hypocrisy and made fun of long term chinese tropes. Namely
    - Family above all, you shall sacrifice and live for the family - FY yeets the entire lot and exposes how shallow and greedy sacks people are, even if you are family
    - Chinese culture/medicine/arts/martial arts superior to everything - RI gives multiple references to other cultures and deem them superior
    - Love and Friendship above all - Straight to gutter
    - Being a virtuous man - Straight to gutter
    - China great - also straight to gutter

Its one of the few novels which dared to rise above the propoganda line, showcasing the bad in it, and well we saw the result.

So nothing much that you see Chinese novels sucking off china, They can destroy your life entirely if you dont after all.

And its same everywhere
    American movies will always have the Russians as terrorists and trying to start nuclear war, where an american will save the whole world.
    European will have American/Middle eastern one's
    Korean will demean Japanese
    Chinese will demean americans and treat other asians as half breds
    Japanese will demean koreans to generalized westerners

Nationalism sells, and in one man ruling countries like china, it is a necessity for your survival. No matter how they disguise it, China is in the end Dictatorship like North Korea, where CCP controls your life.

19. Okay

Okay Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything is decided by your upbringing. If you live with nationalistic people, it is destined that you become a nationalist

20. Artesia

Artesia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to understand you are not the target audience, the audience in China or other countries who reads it rate these novels highly