Recommendations Guess I will try to see if anyone has any recs

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Pannucci, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Pannucci

Pannucci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly looking for english web novels/original novels. Currently reading
    Re: Monarch
    Blessed Time
    Knight and Smith
    The Primal Hunter
    Tower of Somnus
    On Royal road. I am trying to stay away from translated novels and I will actually look towards reading the korean ones in korean in a few months so unless there is something that popped up recently in translated that is incredible please stay on this subject (no preference for website, mostly read on Royal road just because for some reason the overall quality is better on the site than other sites... not sure why)

applebeans likes this.
  2. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    You’ve probably heard of/read these already but:
    Vainquier (& the ongoing The Perfect Run)
    The Zombie knight saga. (I seriously recommend this. It’s a slow burn but the character growth of the protagonist and the world building is amazing. There’s multiple books written so far. It’s further on the author’s own web page than rr)
    Mother of learning
    Marriage and Monsters (it’s a meta novel sort of thing which involves fiction bleeding into reality in an apocalypse, kinda like Omniscient Reader’s viewpoint)
    Randidly ghosthound(though it’s very long)
    Yashima chronicles (though I’ve not read much it’s a misunderstanding war comedy with a reincarnated asocial female protagonist in historical fantasy japan)

FIEND likes this.
  3. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Pannucci

Reading List:
    Link
    Read most of vainquier or however u spell it and honestly his writing style just wore me out. Zombie Knight I am mostly up to date with but the updates are slow and I dont really like reading it on release. MOL I read and pretty much anyone who reads should read it since its probably the best overall novel that was made in english. (worm might be able to contend but I personally dont like worm too much) Havented heard of Marriage and Monsters so I will check it out. Randidly Ghosthound was good for the first few hundred chapters but honestly it just got worse and worse over time so I dropped it. Yashima chronicles I havent heard of before so I will check that out as well.

5. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Beyond? by Andur

6. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about He Who Fights Monsters on RoyalRoad?

As for outstanding Korean ones, there is Regressor Instruction Manual ( currently at slightly over 200 chapters tled).

7. KIWI

KIWI Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Super Minion by Gogglesbear is a personal favorite of mine on Royal Road.
    I second Mother of Learning, doesn’t get better then that.
    And Tree of Aeons by spaizzzer has a sort of kingdom building theme so idk how much you’ll like that but I think it’s good.

8. Weiyuexuan

Weiyuexuan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The essence of cultivation on rrl
    This author is pretty good.

10. jppe

jppe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Until Death?

11. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    The Wandering Inn it's the single longest English written fantasy novel. I believe by at least 100k words.

12. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes. I dropped that after the author got obsessed with making goblins relevant. The entire race is all of a sudden some big and important part of the story and worldbuilding.

And you know what? Would have been fine if they were built from the start. I read trash like Re:Monster for a while and those goblins were similar to these. But it wasn't like that. They were just a piece of the world made to let readers and transmigrators think it was a typical fantasy world.

Then the protag takes pity on some, despite them looking and acting like medieval Gremlins ( from the Gremlins movie franchise). And it snowballs. One of them is a super genius. We are forced to read chapters upon chapters of goblin tribes, a "grizzled hero" of their race is there to be a mentor for the chosen one of the author, the dead god all dread is kept dead by hordes of goblins apparently and goblins under leadership of Her Excellency who developed uber mental capabilities from learning just chess from a single airheaded girl isekaied from normal Earth raid human cities successfully and are planning to unite the race under her most wise rulership.

That was the point I dropped because the story got the chestburster treatment from a story that I didn't want to read while its start and buildup was a phenomenal weaving of a unique world when one looks past its seemingly cliche elements with amazing characters like runner girl ( forgot the names, been a long time after all), mages and issues in their land which is a glorified academy city trying to regain their legacy and mastery of high magics, the relationships between individual characters and races on the whole ( lizardmen, bugpeople, .......).

Imagine meeting fun, quirky, adorable, repulsive ( and thus great villains) characters and have them be near lifelike in what their thought process is like and how they behave. And see it all get wasted on a typical wretched scavenger race getting an uploft through the grace of chosen individuals (naive brains getting tutored by the experienced and jaded brawn).

Edit: Biggest reader screw was that a few chapters of greatly established and beloved characters getting dangled in between goblin arcs ( why yes, more than one) would flit in and out of view like an occasional light in a dark forest at night, only to get sparser and sparser, leaving you reading the saga of nose picker and her seven goblin samurai( this despite this race having no actual culture that would spawn from, or an example. No, they just spontaneously become honorbound little warriors bent on accomplishing their mission).

Tl;dr It was great until a Shymalan plot(neck) style twist. And then the goblin nation(race) attacked to finish off amy enjoyment there was left.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    FIEND likes this.
  13. alcachoo

alcachoo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    these dangerous girls placed me in jeopardy. But only the 1st volume as it starts to get weird after that

14. Pannucci

Reading List:
    Link
    I have infact read everything here but the Andur Until Death Novel. Any other suggestions? I was pretty sick the past few days so was pretty unresponsive.

15. MR.Klein

MR.Klein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    zombie knight saga is awesome .it can be made into a series

16. Pannucci

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks I have read that too sadly :( its hard for me to find new things that havent been started in the past few months because I read so fast. That has slowed down a lot because I have been busy but still a pain.

17. MR.Klein

MR.Klein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    same problem so i usally binge and break. like one month only manga another only webnovels .
    also try
    a practical guide to evil
    everybody loves large chests

18. Pannucci

Reading List:
    Link
    read those too :p I just read super fast like my reading speed is something between 1.5-2 pages a minute so its hard for me not to just finish things right away

19. Pannucci

Reading List:
    Link
    Guess I will bump but honestly people seem to never respond unless its a new post :(

20. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    I found this because of your bump. I have a few recommendations, none of which are on RRL:

Reject Hero - MC is a good man who grew up and lives in a Superhero World, and, after becoming a rich and successful businessman from scratch, gains superpowers of his own. Shame that, whenever they're active, they make everyone in a certain radius of him obsessively want to kill the MC. In exchange they seemingly make him immortal, but still. Oh, and they activate on a hair trigger as a defensive mechanism, can't forget that. This is his story of a good man having superpowers that make everyone hate him and how he deals with his situation.

All The Originals In Ohanishi (Formerly Honyaku) - There's about half a dozen of these, with a spread of genre's. The Author typically writes what I would categorise as "Slice Of Life", though my definition of that is broader than most, as the stories tend to revolve more around how the character's live their lives, while the "excitement" or "trouble" they get into is more a fact that they live in a world where issues exist and they may stumble upon them. This is different from Action, where people actively seek out fights or are happy enough to jump into one, Political, where they're in a situation where they're bombarded with issues that have both large and small connotations constantly, & Romance, where the excitement comes from romantic relationships and all the issues related to them from forming to destructing or anything else, just to name a few other genres and how I perceive them.

Anyway, onto the actual novels themselves. They're updated fairly slowly and often on a rotation, so some of these are fairly short, so just be aware of that fact. Descriptions included so that you can make your own decision if you want to try them.

Wizard of the Flower Blades - MC is persuaded to play a VRMMO by his friend and, while in character creation (where his gender was switched to female), an Isekai happened. Using the data from the VRMMO Avatar as a basis. So... Genderbent romp through a Fantasy World by a character who soon reveals themselves to be a Sword-Smithing Otaku. And who can, apparently, either ignore or outright overwhelm with sheer power most beliefs about how to utilise magic.

Originstory The VRMMO: The Advent Of Axebear - Female MC playing a VRMMO where she wields an Axe and gained the ability to transform into a Bear. Fairly straight forward, and no chance for any world threatening issues developing from the VRMMO. VRMMO's are commonplace, this is just a new one that the MC started trying out with a few interesting systems.

Bookstore With The White Jade Wings (Baiyuyi) - Something similar to Cultivation Chat Group, MC starts working at a bookstore partially due to the pretty store owner... only to discover that the pretty store owner is male while asking for a job. Turns out the pretty store owner is also a powerhouse in the cultivation world, which our MC ends up joining due to a series of events. And his luck in the cultivation world instead of the modern world is akin to Song Shuhang's, in that he meets with disasters and somehow transforms them into lucky encounters.

Fluvia Delarose Was An Otome Game Villain - Single Mother MC reincarnates into a cult-classic due to it's terribleness Otome Game her daughter became mildly obsessed with as a Villainess Supporting Character who's executed at the end of the game for learning a forbidden form of magic. In context of the world at large, her execution makes sense. In context of the Otome Game, killing a character with two or less lines in the entire game, regardless of path, and is thus barely known is insane, and yet that's just ONE of the weird decisions the developers of the game went with, with others including things like some plot hooks ending up as dangling threads. Which is what got the game it's cult classic fanbase, there's so much that the fanfiction community can explore off of the actual cannon. MC, does not know the game at all, beyond second-hand accounts from her daughter, who's favourite character is the "mystery villainess" Fluvia Delarose. After her reincarnation, the MC both avoids learning the forbidden form of magic, and starts fixing issues she runs into, mostly for her own convenience, but still. Well, after she has a mental breakdown, she just died in a house fire she thought her daughter might have been in, after all.

Kousei Ishikawa Is Cursed(?) - MC reincarnates from Modern Japan, Earth, to Modern Japan, Earth. The new one has a System, though, so that's neat. Also Youkai, which are invisible to most people and actively try to eat the MC. Oh, and the reason why the MC can see them is probably related to his indecipherable skill, and the fact that he can see them is related to why they can see him. The story starts as the teenage MC moves to a new town to live with his uncle (Mother's long dead, Dad lives and works abroad, Uncle only just discovered that the MC had been living alone for years after his aunt went temporarily insane and tried to drown him for being "possessed" or attracting "demons" with his mystery skill. Okay, so the Uncle may not know all that, but that's why the MC was living alone). Oh, and, I didn't mention, upon moving to the new town, the MC makes a friend with a disembodied voice that decided to sing anime songs endlessly, which, honestly, why the friendship started, the MC getting irritated at the fact that they wouldn't shut up.

What Comes From Second Chances - The newest story this author has written, the MC of this replaces someone who was given a second chance to live his life, but was too tired of living and how his life ended up to take it. He replaces someone who lived in what was akin to a Post-Cultivation World Sci-Fi Romance Novel (Post-Cultivation, as he reincarnates into a Spirit Beast after technology advanced to the point where there are no benefits to being one, Sci-Fi due to it being an age where one can easily travel between stars, Romance due to the initial story he died in being a Tragic Romance Story due to the circumstances of his death... and the author trying to make this one a Romance Story too, especially due to her difficulties in writing Romance), taking his life at a set age. He inherits the body after adopting his child niece, who's specific Spirit Beast nature means she's in constant danger of being illegally hunted, and while jobless, but after doing the defining event that initiated the person the MC replaced's love interest into fame and riches. She's not the new MC's love interest, though, and this story only has 9 chapters at this time and is still considered a teaser by the author.