Feature Request Prevent users from rating a novel when it only has a few chapters

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Apprentice Translations, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Apprentice Translations

Apprentice Translations Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've just posted the prologue to a novel a few hours ago.

It immediately got a 1 star rating, which is kind of ridiculous. Prologues aren't designed to explain everything, they just introduce the novel. You can't base the entire novel off the prologue. So why not disable ratings until a certain number of chapters have been posted? Like say 5 chapters.

This will prevent trolls from immediately giving novels 1 stars for no reason.

Not trying to sound mean here, but I've spent almost 3 hours translating and editing the next chapter and it was painful to visit the page and see that. I know it will eventually change as more readers view it, but seems weird that users can immediately give a novel the worst rating as soon as the first chapter is released.

8oni and thymee like this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    heeehoooo
    what if the translator only put teaser?
    what if only one or two chap translator suddenly KIA or MIA?

it back again to user no?
    while this cat understand your feel this cat vote

nay!
    let it be~

3. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Solution: Only add a NU series page after you've posted 5 chapters.
    Or at least after you posted a proper chapter, and not a prologue.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But what about readers who have read the novel in the raws :? It's not a rating on the translated version.
    +1

5. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    While technically true, only novels under translation (at least 1 release) get added to NU. So also false xD

6. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're still reviewing the novel though?
    upload_2021-1-10_18-7-39.png
    Limiting reviews by chapter count still prevents people who have read the entire novel from reviewing.

7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Counter point to reiterate the one above: people who've read the raws already. Probably more common than you think. I get your frustration, but overall the rating feature on NU has long since been recognized to be totally broken so don't worry about reviews too much.

8. Apprentice Translations

Apprentice Translations Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, to be honest the novel rating has turned weird now. It only has 4x 1 star and 7x 5 star ratings, no 2,3 or 4 star ratings. Not sure what to make of it anymore ahaha.

9. acouvis

acouvis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    H the
    I would add in a review when notes before the review when exceptions had to be madeto the above “rules”... It is possible a translation is simply so terrible that it makes it difficult to read or flow as well as the story can or should. Similar if a spoiler would be necessary to explain why something was rated lower (i.e. best character gets raped / killed around chapter 30 in a romance novel).

As an example, if doing an early review: “This review is based on the first 10 chapters of X which were done by Y’s MTL. As such, many details were unclear and later translations may offer a more complete experience...”. Then it jumps into the normal review. Note that I’m not suggesting review rule guideline exceptions for stupid choices such as novel translations all being released in Comic Sans....

Anyway, thats my personal view... Don’t bash the translator(s), but be honest if a lower quality unedited translation might have caused you to rate something lower than otherwise. Same idea for the spoiler (warn early if there is, don’t just drop it).

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  10. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta mention, there are oneshot novels with only 1 chapter, so not being able to leave a review and or rating, because it only has a few chapters out seems like a not great idea

11. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The ratings do sometimes seem weird. I've see lots of 1s and 5s on novels and almost nothing else in between. I don't trust the ratings much because of that.

Maybe it would be more fair if you could rate the novel only by leaving a review?

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The solution is simple: Do not care about the star rating.

Reviews can be easily reported and deleted.

Even if you think the novel is the best in the world, this a free country internet.
    You cannot force others to like it.
    Whether it is 1, 5 or 100 chapters, people who dislike the novel will give it 1 star. Their dislike does not have to be reasonable too.

You are painfully naive if you think otherwise.

For your own mental health, I recommend that you stop translating or at the very least disable comments.
    Getting abuse is the norm and I don't think you can take it.

13. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    Like others said, what if it was mtl'ed?

That means even if you are only on the prologue they may already have finished the story. They are reviewing the story so they don't have to wait for you to upload translations to post their review.
    Not allowing people to review based on number of translations posted wouldn't be fair to the reader or the reviewer,

14. totmes

totmes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From certain view, you can assume that from start any form of rating would be deemed to fail or contain certain flaw. Be it subjectief, whimsical and troll behaviour or judgment, so you disregard it completely or adjust a little...BULLETPROOF method give 3, 4 or 5 star rating free access and giving 1-2 being paid VIP-dollars!
    However seriously if NU-voting system could be set at NU-5$ per vote it could massively prevent trolling rates and correspondly more written reviews would become the norm for those who would express their gratitude or dissatisfaction in response. And at the same time I average reader would be more grateful towards it,

15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since when did NU ever asked its users to pay or pay the users. No need to answer that, I'll help you. Since never.

It's not a business. You get links to those site that comply to NU policy free of charge. You get to add and remove novels and details on NU free of charge. You get to make readings lists free of charge. NU does not even insist that you have to enable javascript or turn off adblock to use the site. NU also does not insist you to be active on the forum.

Any form of options that would charge a member, be it in any currency, sounds so absurd after I list that out, doesn't it? Maybe it would change one day if NU is made into a business, charging fan translators to get listed, charging people for editing privilege etc But what you just mentioned does not fit the current environment.

16. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure about the VIP-dollars, but the latter part was referring to Nuffies, I think.
    I forgot to reply last night that Nuffies aren't available on NU. And while, it's possible to change that, seems like too much work for a basically pointless feature. + will probably result in more spambots on NUF.

AMissingLinguist and LaDyViL like this.
  17. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The currency I mentioned includes virtual currencies, nuffies in this case. Even then, that would force members to participate in the forum activities to gain nuffies which doesn't quite fit with how the current NU runs.

He could probably make something that can link NU with NUF's banks. Having to fiddle with the review mechanism might be too much work though.

Spam bots on NUF....reminds me, I should go on my occasional spotchecks. My arm's missing the weight of my hammer.

AMissingLinguist, AliceShiki and Ral like this.
  18. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I know. At first I thought about writing that forum will get flooded with low quality content, that would make it harder to sift through spambots, then I thought spambots themselves will be more common.

Yes, while technically possible, it'd likely be quite a pain to set up. Nuffies are an addon and making it work (pay) on NU could be quite problematic.
    I guess, the best option would be a new shop item - "review", which could be linked to NU... Or something like that.
    Doesn't really matter, as this will never go through :D

AMissingLinguist and LaDyViL like this.
  19. freemen muaddib

freemen muaddib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should use Bayesian Estimate to rate novels.
    Many websites like imdb or AnimeNewsNetwork use this method to avoid the issue of early voting skewing.

I quote from ANN:
    This rating only includes titles that have at least 12 votes. The bayesian estimate is a statistical technique used to reduce the noise due to low sample counts. In effect, the less a title has votes, the more it is pulled towards the mean (7.5017). The more a title has votes, the less it is pulled toward the mean. In other words, these are the titles that many people agree are great. (formula)
    bayesian rating = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C
    where:
    R = average for the anime
    v = number of votes for the anime
    m = minimum votes required to be listed (currently 12)
    C = the mean vote across the whole report (currently 7.5017)
    Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php#best_bayesian

20. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    We've been waiting on this since 2016. I wonder it @Tony forgot he agreed to add it in the future xD

Ghost_Spawn and freemen muaddib like this.