Resource Difference between MTL translators

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by OriginAncestor, Jan 15, 2021.

1. OriginAncestor

OriginAncestor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Deepl: This was a fragmented corner, this was a forgotten world. That day was the day when Ning Cheng was most disillusioned, that day, he was brought here hard and fast. This corner, because of Ning Cheng, will leave a name in the vast starry sky, and this world, because of Ning Cheng, will be wonderful in the endless universe!

Google: This is a fragmented corner, this is a forgotten world. That day was when Ning Cheng was most frustrated. That day, he was taken here abruptly. This corner will be named in the vast starry sky because of Ningcheng, and this world will be wonderful in the endless universe because of Ningcheng!

Bing: It's a broken corner, it's a forgotten world. That day, ningcheng is the most frustrated time, that day, he was brought here hard. This corner because there is Ningcheng, will be in the vast starry sky, the world also because of Ningcheng, will be wonderful in the endless universe!

Baidu: This is a fragmented corner, this is a forgotten world. That day, is Ningcheng most frustrated, that day, he was forcefully brought here. This corner will be famous in the vast starry sky because of Ningcheng, and the world will be wonderful in the endless universe because of Ningcheng!

Original: 这是一个支离破碎的角落,这是一个被遗忘的世界。 那一天,是宁城最失意的时候,那一天,他被硬生生的带到了这里。 这个角落因为有了宁城,将在浩瀚星空中留名,这个世界也因为有了宁城,将在无尽宇宙中精彩!

Well, Don't even talk about Bing translator, I didn't even understand the first sentance, compared to Bing Baidu it's a little bit better, but you'll still kill 70% of your brain cells population, Google, well you have to put more effort into it and you'll understand it. Now my favourite here is Deepl, it really surpassed all of them, it's not on the level of human translation (Of course) but it's still readable with killing less than 1% of your brain cells. I hope this helped some people

2. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can even click words and it will show you other translation options in Deepl

OriginAncestor likes this.
  3. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy crap... I read that and my brain didn't immediately self combust... wow.

4. Passerby Soysauce-sama

Passerby Soysauce-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stuck to Baidu before lol. I'll be trying out Deepl. Thank you very much for this.:blobpeek:

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    You're only comparing the MTL between each other, but you're not showing what's supposed to be 'correct' translation. (There's no "correct" human translation that's used to compare with.)

Your only argument for which translator is the "best" here is how readable the output is.

In this case it doesn't really matter but your method is fallacious and all it does is rank which MTL is the easiest to read.

And ofc it might vary depending on the RAW as well, maybe one is better at certain topics than others.

But that's excusable since you can only do so much with an example.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. OriginAncestor

Reading List:
    Link
    Well well, I realize my mistake my brother

7. SilvaLau

SilvaLau Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Real Translation:

This was a dilapidated part of the world, a world forgotten by the masses at large. That day, when Nincheng was at his lowest, he was forcefully brought here. Due to his appearance, however, this forgotten world shall have its name spread across the vast ocean of stars. By the same account, this world shall no longer remain dull among the endless cosmos!

8. Fishyla

Fishyla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just for reference

Youdao: This is a broken corner, this is a forgotten world. That day, it is Ning Cheng most frustrated time, that day, he was forcibly brought here. This corner because of Ningcheng, will leave a name in the vast starry sky, this world also because of Ningcheng, will be wonderful in the endless universe!

9. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [rolls up sleeves] OK, here's a rough translation.

這是一個支離破碎的角落,這是一個被遺忘的世界。 那一天,是寧城最失意的時候,那一天,他被硬生生的帶到了這裡。 這個角落因為有了寧城,將在浩瀚星空中留名,這個世界也因為有了寧城,將在無盡宇宙中精彩!

This is a [broken/ruined] corner [of the world], this is a world that has been forgotten. On that day, Ning Cheng experienced his most disappointing moment, [and] on that day, he was forcibly brought to this place. Because this corner [of the world] has Ning Cheng, it will leave its name among the vast sea of stars. Because this world has Ning Cheng, it will shine brilliantly among the infinite cosmos!

Honestly? Deepl and Baidu seem pretty equal re: this passage. Deepl's "disillusioned" is closer to the meaning of 失意 than "frustrated", but Baidu got 硬生生 right as "forcefully" (which imo is harder for machines to get right because it does mean stiff/hard in other circumstances). Surprisingly, while it got other phrases wrong, Bing got the closest (in my opinion) with translating 支離破碎 (which is literally "scattered and smashed", so imagine smashing a pot to bits and then having those pieces fly away like dust) as "broken". The other translations seemed to read only the first bit 支離 and not 破碎. "Fragmented" might sound right, but that's not the intended meaning here, I think.

Astaroth and LiLi041 like this.
  10. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    Naver - Papago : It's a broken corner, a forgotten world. That day was the most disappointing time in Ningcheng, and that day he was brought here by force. Because of Ningcheng, this corner will leave its name in the vast starry sky, and because of Ningcheng, the world will be wonderful in the infinite universe!

Tbh papago slays the most in KR/CN/JP translations from what I seen. Especially KR since it has inbuilt dictionary of it which explains each and every word/character when you put it in.

zeesy likes this.
  11. OriginAncestor

Reading List:
    Link
    Well well, thank you all for posting your your own translations and stuff