Discussion Game Company

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by OriginAncestor, Jan 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. OriginAncestor

OriginAncestor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always wanted to create a game company I'm 17 and a programmer, anyone have any advice or would like to join in?

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
  3. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there are many things you need to consider, what game you want to make, for what and what to use for it, one advice i can give is to start from bellow, try to make simple things like for mobile, don't shoot for the moon with an epic game, gain more experience and know how, try to release a few games for mobile, get some resources and slowly build a team.
    One other thing, its hard to have sucess at first, maybe you will need to release 30 or 50 games to get one that hits, unless you get a good idea and make good advertisement and it hits as soon as you release it.

OriginAncestor and Devil Heart like this.
  4. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Play game dev tycoon. It gives you a good idea on what to focus for different types of game.
    2) Play to your strengths, especially if you are going solo. If you are bad at art, don't stress on the looks of the game, go for better gameplay or storytelling.
    3) Ignore the praises and focus on the criticisms. There is nothing you can do about what is good in the game. But what is bad can be improved.
    4) Start with making a game you yourself at least will enjoy playing. Also start simple.

5. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly though, I always want to create a game based from the novel that I wrote. That would be fun. And hard. Lol

Good luck to you. I just learned to become a programmer in the university and you already are one. Thumbs up

OriginAncestor likes this.
  6. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck. I never wanna dabble in any sort of business related to gaming whether it be playing them or making them.
    I feel like the moment I start making money from it I'll stop doing it for fun and I don't want that to happen. It's my...third main form of recreation.

OriginAncestor and gheist1234 like this.
  7. OriginAncestor

OriginAncestor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you all for your advices, and to deepon I did play game dev tycoon and the likes of it, I kind of have a general idea of how a game company works, and gheist1234 thanks for your advice, it gave me a certain amount of inspiration. DocB that's something I have to look out for lol.

gheist1234 likes this.
  8. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    take 1 step after the other starting a company, hiring ppl, organizing, managing etc all not trivial
    and might be a lil bit to much for a starter

perhaps look for 2-3 ppl to do a "hobby" game
    so you have no financial pressure and might learn the ropes
    to start such a project choose what kind of game you want to make, for what platform, with what engine etc try or test what you can do yourself or where you would need help and than look out for ppl to file that role
    or join someones project if it sounds fun or interessting to you
    another option might be an internship but right now might not be the best time for that