Discussion Culture

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cynge42, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Hospital food is trash tier. It's very tasteless. If you can't afford a private room and pay for nurses to come care for you full time, then yeah, you need family or friends to help you.
    2. There are nurses but they're usually busy looking after many patients so you won't get as much attention. You get dietitians if you need it but they just work out a meal plan for you.
    3. Warm water is gentler on the stomach and it's good for digestion.

It's pretty common in real life.

Martialegg and Cynge42 like this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat watch movie about streamers on china, not sure it can be used as reference~ on that movie the gifts consist of points or money~ da movie have no english subtitle so this cat may misunderstand da points system~ da points seem can exchange with service or money~

Cynge42 likes this.
  3. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess hospitals are boring everywhere then.
    My brother stayed in a hospital for two weeks due to some disease in his intestines. And god damn was it boring. I would visit him every other day for an hour, and then dip cause it was fking boring. Luckily he had his computer. If he didn't, i wouldn't be able to fathom how he got through it.

4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

1) its just a sign of a settled? man/woman. kinda like he is someone with good life?...honestly its a common thing, almost everyone dont want to end up all alone with no one to care if they exist. judging on this is norm too

2) ugh i dont think this relates to culture...but yes thats part of their job if u didnt know.

3) i'm sure u have read or heard some articles/news about this, just by reasoning one can its just safer to drink boiled water, and in cold regions its just common sense.

standard answer: are you an alien? how's ET?

XD i'm sorry...:blobowoevil_horns::blobpeek: *runs away*

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Cynge42 likes this.
  5. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Rather than a requirement, it's more like a habit or our culture to be exact. In Chinese culture, we are habitually unable to fully entrust our loved ones to outsiders, especially when they are in weak condition and unable to defend themselves.
    Although in modern times, most doctors in the field are qualified and the law is there to protect us, it is much more reassuring for the family members to have someone we trust to stay there and care for them.
    Just think of it like a supervisor, instead of a caretaker, to make sure the doctors and the nurse work properly like they are meant to be.
    The food that we bring to the hospital is a sign of love and care we have, with our mistrust toward outsiders.
    The unique part about it is: while it is a mistrust, but It is also a sign of respect toward outsiders to lessen their burden and responsibility when taking care of our own. The key is that we don't want incur a debt of gratitude.
    In Chinese culture, debt of gratitude is a very heavy concept. It is the very forefront of our reputation and name. Our family name is on the line by having that debt.
    We tend to not easily give a reason for others to create a debt for us. Especially to outsiders that we don't know about.

2. As I have explained on point 1, Mistrust and unwilling to incur a debt of gratitude is the key reason for it.

3. In Chinese culture, Hot and warm water represents healthy drinks and care. Cold water represents prone to sickness and unhealthy drinks. Someone giving you hot water is basically saying that they are hoping for you to get better faster.

Cynge42 likes this.
  6. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a reason why most Chinese older generation hated Japanese's guts even today.
    They even go as far as promoting such propaganda that still lives on till today. Also the reason why racism is quite rampant in China.

Well, can't blame em honestly. If I were to live in that era, I could probably be as worse as them.
    I mean, you should know that the Japs basically massacre one city, while raped a majority of the women, right? It's the Nanjing massacre. You should look it up. It's at the very forefront of the JP-CH relationship problems.

7. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    In Chinese culture, bringing gifts to others are basically a sign of respect and care to others. It also shows your social ethics and class. People would be much more respectful to you just by doing that.
    It is basically a very simple way of formal greetings.

Like, when you want to go to someone home formally, it is disrespectful to not bring anything to their home. Especially if you are not that close to them. Usually, a basket of fruit is enough for it.

Cynge42 likes this.
  8. Cynge42

Cynge42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Martialegg I had no idea that happened in China. I can imagine the older generation would be bitter.

So I guess China and the US were on the same side with the saying, The enemy of my enemy becomes my friend (or ally).

I know tensions are high in politics and whatnot, but I love how we can all come together and talk about light novels, mangas, and leave the world out of it. But, at the same time learn about different cultures, a little bit of history, and appreciate the amazing talents of so many people. Not just the authors, but the translators too.

Thanks for your answers!

Martialegg likes this.
  9. Cynge42

Cynge42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does "lover" mean the same thing in manga as it does to the rest of us?

In Justice of a Villainess Woman everyone refers to the white lotus as the crown prince's "lover." Even the mom of said prince.

A lover would be more than a boyfriend, right? They kiss and have s*x..y times, a lover.

This use almost feels like they're using it in a boyfriend sense of the word.

I've seen this in a couple of mangas lately. Maybe a light novel or 2, but I'm too into manga to remember which ones.