Discussion Why do you read fanfiction?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jojo775, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I see a lot of people read it because of pairings, mostly girls obviously, so silly but ok everyone is different.
    I read it because of adventure, I like completely alternate timelines and expanded world building. Comedy and romance are a bonus but never the main focus, never a crackfic!
    Many guys read it well for the same reason as me, power trip but all they want is roflstomp and bashing. Honestly I don't know what is worse, extreme power trips for edgy immature males or sickening fluff romance and angst by stereotypical female writers.
    You could read a whole chapter by a female writer and plot wouldn't move forward because it was all inner monologue, or you could read one by a bad male writer and some random loser is gonna become a super saiyan in a month, probably get a harem as well.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Maomaomao likes this.
  2. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was waiting for Naruto to update, I had next to nothing for mobile data during the 2008-ish so even manga have to be read on internet cafe. Fanfiction.net site is cheap on data and opera mini on my phone can load without image. So, with countless stories in FFN, why not? Some writer can reimagine the world they are doing worldbuilding at into something that is not a rehash of canon. That's just a great reason for me to delve into fanfiction. Though, I do have dislike on OC stealing the spotlight from the main character in my youth.

Magwayen and Jojo775 like this.
  3. Wolfie-bigsister

Wolfie-bigsister Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I fall for the type of reading for fanfiction, so yeah i'm a woman, and i read those kind of stories, and fluffy or angst YA stories written by female readers who too into the romance and pairing. I treat those as side stories for my pitted heart who doesn't accept the main pair, or the side character who end up tragic. So i'm really the most common female readers who only read fanfiction for the side character. I don't even read fanfic about the main pair cause there already too much screentime in the book. Idk if this written as a discussion or i'm just want to brag. Sorry about that.

Maomaomao likes this.
  4. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a variation or combination of the following

1. Series ended but still enjoy it would like to see some changes without ruining it(stargate)A continuation of it.
    2. Ending sucks and some inconsitency( mass effect)
    3. Series is enjoyable but need some spices( warhammer series)
    3. Series got axed, abandoned (mx0, rolan the forgotten king )

Maomaomao and Jojo775 like this.
  5. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    I read fanfic for fun. But I mostly read doujin.

I hate harem and I'm picky when it comes to fanfic. Except for bl dj, btw. And I usually read them when I got hook up on the other perspective. Sometimes, even if a novel is popular and good, not all readers approved of what is in the novel. They do fanfic to apply what they think is better for that novel or just to satisfy their own desire.

Well like...

This girl. Me, of course. You know the live action movie of Mulan last year.

I was so frustrated at that movie, esp, what they did to the witch. It was fine if they did the movie acc, to the animation but they didn't.

They action is great, but it was really idiotic. I love the moves but the tactics is stupid as hell.

I love Mulan very much. But the movie disappoint me very much.

So, to resolve my unfulfilled desire for good Mulan, Im writting fanfic myself.

Sheesh~

I titled it– Mulan: The Witch and The Exile

You can read them at Scribblehub and Webnovel!!

Shamelessly self promoting. It's GL btw.

Hehehe.

You guys can read it but I'm just starting you see. And I'm one of those lazy ones and don't update much.

Hehehe. But check it out if you have time.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Maomaomao likes this.
  6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know what GL is but webnovel is not a good site, bad fics and novels go there basically. Try posting on fanfiction.net ao3 and royalroad.
    Ah I see you're a man of culture as well.
    Here's my list.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/~zhawarudo
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/9071421/

Maomaomao, Sabruness and Aachiin0914 like this.
  7. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    Maomaomao and Jojo775 like this.
  8. HavekZero

HavekZero A well meaning, contributing member of this forum

Reading List:
    Link
    At the end of the day fanfiction is essentially wish fullfillment.

This can change from person to person.

Some read it for the smut, some read it for the edgy vibes, others to live vicariously through the few gems that are released every now and then on the various sites that accommodate fanfiction and so on and so forth.

I suppose I'm a little bit of all of the above.

Depemds on my mood tbh and that changes from moment to moment.

Maomaomao, Lovina and Jojo775 like this.
  9. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    If I read a novel and enjoy it, I probably enjoy the world building, powers, and characters. Once I've finished the novel, I have a greater knowledge of these things. Fanfictions allow me to explore the fine details and nuances of these things in unique ways from a different perspective and with a new story arc to carry it along (making it more enjoyable than theory crafting or power scaling, which I also enjoy).

Maomaomao, Lovina and Jojo775 like this.
  10. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely because of the pairings for me anyways lol
    Like it sucks that a series ends and I definitely didn’t want it to, and I enjoyed it tons, but someone else can make a continuation or au twist that keeps it alive in fanfics which is neat.

Like I love a lot of clamp series. Card captor Sakura is my fav. And thought could only indulge in fanfics and fanart since the series ended.
    But seeing clamp even make their own au crossover dimension travel series officially with tsubasa reservoir chronicles... and even a new arc for the series years later; I’m very thrilled. Like I’m glad that the characters haven’t been abandoned and still could be incorporated in future works TuT

Frankly though I’ve fallen out of the fanfic reading phase since the ones I enjoy are dropped and I don’t want to pick up new series when the fanfic will just be dropped - like not blaming fanfic authors for stopping but yeah, now that I found nu just gonna read stuff and busy away

Maomaomao likes this.
  11. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    To wank to my fantasies.

Maomaomao and Lovina like this.
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I normally don't; or rather I don't seek it out. The last couple I read were more or less by accident as I didn't realize they were fanfiction until I was a few chapters in. I don't mind fanfiction so I just kept going.

However, it's not unfair to think of fanfiction as any time a writer uses characters (and scenarios) that are based on preexisting works. So wouldn't historical novels also be fanfiction? It's not original material and the writer is definitely introducing his own take on things. In this case I read it because it does a lot of the things I look for in books; things like solid worldbuilding, gravity, and especially exploring subjects I find interesting.

13. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Apart from GL slash fics, i dont really read fanfics. I think i've only read two.
    One was a Starcraft 2 fanfic, which actually got me interested in the game, but when the author transitioned to original content plot he absolutely botched it badly and annoyed a fair few of his readers until he couldnt be bothered trying to write himself out of the shitty plot he dug.

The other is a How To Train Your Dragons alt-history fic which is really top quality work and super interesting to read. Actually came across it by accident while roaming TvTropes pages, took a chance and been hooked ever since.

Maomaomao likes this.
  14. InuAnubis

InuAnubis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first it's because of a pairing and I wanted a different ending for some shows but now, I just think of "What if..." or find some brand new fanfic ideas that people are creating to satisfy my boredom and curiosity. It's really enjoyable.

15. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read ff coz I already know and familiar with the characters personality. I like to read ff characters of movie/anime/fiction that I like. Characters that I think should be together but didnt get to be together eventhough all aspects for love are there. And when I try to find ff for those characters, I find more people are actually agree and already written so much stories!
    Huuray for me and them.
    And there'll plenty of good ff that can make me cry so badly.

16. Deleted member 312931

Deleted member 312931 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the to kill my time
    and I like to see my fav. characters fall in love
    and I like enjoy reading them

17. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the what if. The possibility are endless even in a platonic way. You want something to happen who does not happen in cannon, you can find it in fanfiction. It's like a personnal fix it of course for romance but also in other way. Like if you want a character that you like who have a bad ending in canon or is currently fucked over by the writter , to be redeemed have a happy ending/ a better you just have to read it in fanfiction. It's why i love it.

Maomaomao likes this.
  18. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know what GL is = it mean girl love (yuri, shojo ai) like bl is boys love (yaoi , shonen ai) . It's a story when two girl (or more if it's a love triangle or an harem fall in love.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Maomaomao likes this.
  19. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    When I really identified a character and liked it. Then he was killed off in a very confusing and half-assed way. It was so badly done that people were trying to figure out what the writer was planning.. looking for hints in every word and every scene. The writer couldn’t have actually meant for that to be it. It turned out that he wasn’t really planning anything and he just killed him off! It was very disappointing.:blob_catflip:

So I love to fix it and that's when I go for a fanfiction.:blobpeek:

20. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    To me reading is like drinking water from a well, when the well finishes and i am yet to be satiated i look to the nasty swamp water to get my fill

Maomaomao, Lovina and Diametric like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.