Discussion How do you get over feeling purposeless

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MR.Klein, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MR.Klein

MR.Klein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know this is probably not the best place to ask this question but still worth a shot. Lately i Don't get excited by anything anymore it feels futile. Maybe it's a phase maybe not but if it is how did you get over it. Not exactly looking for advice but welcomed though .What I am asking is if you had went through a similar phase where everything feels meaningless and you distract yourself from feeling nothing you do can change anything by binging on entertainement.How did you get over that slump. I used to love maths and literature now both make me dread for life. Also I am in college if it helps

2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Gets busy making money and plans. You know working with other peoples can stress you out quickly you'll want some free time.
    Wait you're still in college ? Well all the more reason to make plans and moneys. Focus on getting your main items like in game. Cars, house, and the like.

Devon, Maomaomao and MR.Klein like this.
  3. MR.Klein

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks . I tried it once but ran out of steam but i'll try it once more

Devon and Maomaomao like this.
  4. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    I unfortunately don't think I can answer this as each person deals with it differently. I can only tell you what I do and it probably will only make it worse. I just dig a deeper hole. Make myself think how small I am in the grand scheme of things and how powerless I am. It makes one think on how pointless my worries are when there is nothing I can possibly stop the inevitable.

Devon, Uncopyright and Maomaomao like this.
  5. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    Try something new, bro. That feeling is a sign of depression.

So, it's really bad if that continues.

I've been a NEET since two years ago. And I will feel exactly as that whenever I stop reading something.

Reading nocelsade me forget that feelings. Cause you know, great authors wrote.reach emotions in their novels which can travel through reading. It replaced my empty heart and made me alive somehow.

Wow~ so, poetic. Hehehe

But sometimes, it made me tired of reading too. So I turned to writing my own. Though, I'm not a great author, at the very least it made me distracted.

And sometimes I will turn to art. I will pain some or will stretch something. And right now, I'm trying book bind and is trying to make my own journal.

But that's the easy part, yeah. Sometimes though, you have many thing that can distract you that feeling just obstract your motives and even makes you feel like everything doesn't made any sense.

Well, I don't understand it as well. But one thing for sure, human wasn't called social animals for nothing.

That symptom will subside when if you try talking it out. Basked under the sun sometimes.

But really if I'm feeling something like yours, I will automatically read something with dog blood plot that will surely make me cry in flood. Cause venting sometimes will make you feel lightened. And maybe it can even refresh your mind and start doing what your suppose to, after venting.

Well, that's all!!!

ongoingwhy, MR.Klein, Devon and 2 others like this.
  6. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a couple of solutions here :
    1) Try reading My RomCon SNAFU / Oregairu.
    2) Have you heard of the butterfly effect ? A butterfly's wingbeat can create a storm somewhere far away. I am sure your breathing is stronger. Maybe that's your purpose in life ? To breathe and create storms ? Some CO2 as well while you are at it.
    3) Ahem! A friend of my friend once had a phase like that, he searched for many a nights until he found solace in Pheonix Marie. Maybe you need to find someone new as well ?

MR.Klein, Devon and Maomaomao like this.
  7. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO binging on entertainment is the worst thing to do. You should do the opposite to be excited about things. Need to restrict yourself about things you feel are fun to be excited about having them. Try reading a difficult to comprehend book. Probably will be boring but might find some food for thoughts.

Also if you are stressed about something and are trying to avoid it, it might be best to address it.

Also. Purpose is very easy to find. Everyone has lots of different purposes. For country your purpose is to pay taxes and work. For family to look after them and care. For nature and evolution is to leave kids behind. For uni to study there. For streetfood stall across the road - to be their customer. etc etc etc. The only purpose that can be cryptic is what is your purpose for yourself.
    For yourself, what do you want to do? What do you want to be. What is your purpose in growing up in relation to yourself, your principles, perception of the world? This is something we can look for an answer, and binging entertainment to be distracted only postpones the search.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    MR.Klein, Devon and Maomaomao like this.
  8. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you have joy in life? Joy in exercise? Try out a lot of stuff. Think what are your principles. What makes you you? Do you like music? Maybe an instrument brings you joy? I know I'm meaningless. I'm gonna die. It's inevitable. When I was young I never wanted to die and leave a timeless mark on this world until time immerorial or doomsday, but the older I get the more I see my existence is worthless. And so I live and I think living is better than dying. At least live without going against my principle and conscience. Live without harming others. That's good for me

MR.Klein, Devon, tekinwillie and 2 others like this.
  9. Maomaomao

Maomaomao Cardboard cutout

Reading List:
    Link
    Find something productive you like! Exercising, reading and so on. It sounds like it wouldn't make a big difference but it really does.

Devon likes this.
  10. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm *pats* you're probably burnt out. Maybe taking a break from everything can help? Maybe you're already overloading yourself with all these studies and even the entertainment can wear you down somehow. Go do something different? :blobpats:

As for me, I just live day by day trying to be thankful and trying to enjoy the little things in life. Well, trying to. :blobsmilehappy:

Well, whatever is the case, I'm offering you a listening ear @MR.Klein maybe by talking it out, you can figure something out yourself. :blobpats: Hang in there.

MR.Klein and Devon like this.
  11. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    Another thing. Write a little. Think back on the day and what you appreciate about it. If you can't think of anything, think on a smaller scale. Example: I had a donut with some friends today. Pretty cool that I hung out today even though my damn state is locked down. Try to appreciate small things more and try not to worry too much on the stuff you can't do anything about.

Devon likes this.
  12. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started feeling this way since I accepted that I may not find my soul mate (Yes, I believe in the concept that a man has a other half to aleast feel satisfied for exsisting). Since then, I just focus on my family, money then myself. To be honest, without my family anchoring me, I'll probably be doing things that would entertain me which in fact can harm myself and others. I remember telling my mother that I don't care if one day I suddenly stop existing. Anyways, I don't have suicidal thoughts, it's just life seems pretty dull to me and I always get bored if things doesn't get interesting to me. I am even a positive thinker and a forgiving person, to the point that the only thing that's make feel like torturing someone is when they hurt an innocent child. I'd prayed to be that person's personal devil when they get to hell.

Anyways this is getting way off the topic lmao. Just go entertain yourself and at least try to be Happy as much as possible. Trying to avoid hurting other people is my best policy while living my life.

13. MR.Klein

Reading List:
    Link
    optimistic nihilismn a truly wonderful philosophy, nothing matters and since nothing matters you can make any number of mistakes you want . No matter how hard you screw up it's not gonna matter so pick yourself up and do what you want and enjoy what you have.
    Thanks

I do find fleeting moments of joy but not as much as to make it my life's goal. Living just seems like a chore. It's like you don't really wanna do this but the alternative is so much worse so you do it reluctantly. Sorry to whine about it . I really really need to vent these feelings that i can't anywhere else. And this thin veil of anonymity gives me that freedom of doing that .I just want to feel happy and normal but for some reason I can't . I've stopped doing things because they make me feel good rather i do things because it prevents me from feeling bad.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  14. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait. Y'all haven't been feeling like this your entire lives? lol

Well, I can't tell you how to overcome it cuz there is no correct answer. Things don't magically get better. That's just wishful thinking and it will only eat you out from the inside with each passing year you see everyone else living their lives while you rot away.

But I can tell you how to not end in a morgue hours later after an impulsive decision. Depression can be light, fleeting even, however, it is still a mental illness and more often than not it's chronic. You should never forget that. It is, after all, the leading cause of death amongst healthy individuals. And the figures don't exactly fall down as you age. Being successful in life, having lots of money, a beautiful wife or even kids won't grant you any immunity or salvation.

Entertain the idea of getting professional help someday if nothing works.

MR.Klein and ongoingwhy like this.
  15. MR.Klein

Reading List:
    Link
    you have a way with words. If you write something do inform me i'll definitely read it. I don't think I am depressed . Will surely get help if nothing works.

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  16. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a friend like this, who is always like this. I mean like you. And he felt stuck in life and a bit unhappy. I couldn't help him. I think he's fine. But it could be better. Many things in life could be better. Could. I think he's doing things well and better than me. He's younger, too. But has different circumstances and expectations

MR.Klein likes this.
  17. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Meditate and analyze what exactly is making your brain do that. That's usually my quick fix.

MR.Klein likes this.
  18. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't mind me. Came here not to reply, but to look at the answers.

19. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    by giving yourself a purpose

20. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    It happens. Book yourself a session with a psychologist and be honest. They'll probably have some good suggestions.
    Otherwise, look for a new interest/hobby.