Wordpress business vs self-host

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seven77, Jan 21, 2021.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Wordpress business plan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Self-host (VPS or above)

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. others

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Seven77

Seven77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've built a wordpress website on a self-hosted platform but I'm in managed hosting cause I'm super trash at backend. I wanted to find out if Wordpress dot com's business plan at $250/year is more worth it than vps hosting at $500/year. Storage-space wise, WP dot com has more than 3x compared to self-host but I'm not sure about everything else. So I wanted to find out if people are using business plan and is it more worth it??? Which one should I choose? Is it too late to switch from VPS to Wordpress dot com??

$250 cos there's a sale now:blobwhistle:

2. OurPrinceNiki

OurPrinceNiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wordpress.org is cheaper of about 70$ per year and it is just like Wordpress.com
    I also have ads now

3. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally?

I used squarespace because it is much simpler to manage.

4. Seven77

Reading List:
    Link
    you must be on shared hosting. I recently moved off shared hosting because the site couldn't handle the traffic. I don't see any limit on Wordpress com's business plan

5. OurPrinceNiki

OurPrinceNiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I still didn't encounter any traffic problem on mine. I have at least 4k views per day so yours must be higher.

6. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wordpress.com has more solid infrastructure than rolling your own especially if you only can afford shared hosting. They have server instances all over the world so theoretically, if one gets down, another will take over and your site will still be online for your users (unless they've got problems on DNS and load balancer level). This is also ensures backend performance for websites they hosted. Additionally, they have supporting sister companies like Jetpack that provides superb features. Jetpack's on the fly image optimization service, for example, is being provided for free, but usually you'll have to pay a premium price for it if you roll your own website (I'm not sure if this feature also available for wordpress.org sites).

In short, you'll benefit from Wordpress.com if 1) you don't have a problem with their pricing 2) you don't have the necessary resource/skill/manpower to make the best out of wordpress.org ecosystem, and 3) your need is fit with features they served.

However, if the main reason you choose out of Wordpress.org is because of performance issue due to hosting on a shared hosting, you'll probably want to look at Cloudflare's Wordpress Automatic Platform Optimization. This feature cost an additional $5/month but it is an optimization based on Cloudflare's own cutting-edge serverless platform Workers, only a few months being rolled out, and the only services that would upgrade your out-of-the-mile crappy VPS host to a superb edge-computing performing hosting.

I'm generally a Jamstack enthusiast and would recommend Jamstack options for everyone who wanted to get the best deal out of their hosting. But hosting a Jamstack would require a certain amount of frontend web development knowledge, so instead, I'd recommend Wordpress.org + Cloudflare Wordpress APO for best performance and customizability, or Wordpress.com if you don't want to bother on your host and are satisfied with what they are offering with the plan you could afford to spend.

Edit:
    I'm pretty sure someone in this community already tried Cloudflare WP APO since the last time I ran novel sites benchmark his website somehow managed to rank stupidly high score on website performance (which I'm sure that no WP site could achieve without Cloudflare WP APO). I have not confirmed it yet, so I prefer not to make more speculation on that.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  7. Seven77

Reading List:
    Link
    @NodiX Hmm yeah, I have no knowledge on managing a server on my own which is why I'm paying a premium for managed VPS hosting at about $500/year. But I wasn't sure if Wordpress business plan would be lacking in any way (e.g. speed, RAM, bandwidth, customization freedom, etc.) maybe the only thing would be the no. of websites I could have?

8. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a WP user, but a frontend dev, so I'm not all that knowledgeable about the plans that Wordpress.com is offering. What I can say that Automattic (the company that hosts Wordpress.com) has good infrastructures so you don't have to worry about your backend lacking CPU/RAM/Bandwidth.

However, if what you meant by lacking is that there's a better option, then yes. I reckon a decent cheap dedicated hosting + Cloudflare WP APO would perform better even than $1000/month websites hosted on Amazon AWS. Cloudflare WP APO cache static HTML on the edge so the hardware of your original VPS becomes significantly less relevant.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021