Question what's with the hate for the father in Mushoku Tensei

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by kennykdogg, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. He was looking the whole time, so a better attitude wouldn't change anything. When the mc came to the city Paul's group did just find more survivors. His mistress and daughter were locked away in castle by royalty. His wife was sealed in a dungeon in a dangerous location far away. He really didn't have much hope of finding them without a lot of things going his way. Really no chance. And the mc did so much as a child and young adult that any parent would have high expectations of him, which isn't the same as having a inferiority complex. From Paul's perspective it was inconceivable that anyone could not have known what was going on.

2. Your not giving a reason why he's a bad dad. He taught him the sword, looked after him, and respected him perhaps more than any parent should to their child who is still a child. And when he saw Rudeus becoming lazy and developing a unhealthy relationship with his childhood friend, Paul gave him direction by giving him a job and expanding his horizons. As a man he has his faults, but as a parent he was pretty good. They only had that one real fight in their entire relationship and both sides were at fault. Paul wouldn't make any reasonable persons top 50 bad fathers in light novels.

Kaocakeman likes this.
  2. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You win, I give up. I still don't like Paul as a father figure, but forget about my dislike against Paul. This one real fight where both sides were at fault? Was this the fight they had in the bar/tavern when they met the drunken Paul? If so, how come Rudeus was at fault? Please brief me about it, since I've forgotten most of the events about the novel.

3. Kaocakeman

Kaocakeman Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, what can you say, people are stupid and have stupid expectations. I can't for the life of me see Paul as a bad father. Hell, he was a great father. He also wasn't a deadbeat and provided well for his wives and kids, so I can't see him as a bad husband either.

He slept around? Cheated on his pregnant wife? Mate, he's an Asuran noble, in case you forgot. Remember how they - especially the Greyrats - were described? And their religion accepts polygyny as a given. Given how he grew up, it was surprising that Paul even ended up that well-behaved, agreeing to settle down with one woman - though, of course, he couldn't keep it completely in his pants. Well, he certainly did keep it in his pants better than probably 90% of Asuran aristocracy. He was quite honorable as well, or at least tried to.

Seemed to me that men want to be him and women want to be with him. His bona fide harem before settling down proved it. So, as far as I'm concerned, even if other people hate Paul, I'd still like him. He's like a figure drawn from the mold of a Greek Hero, strong, virile and aggressive. Kinda like a much more subdued, responsible and well-behaved Rance.

kennykdogg likes this.
  4. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, that's it. I'll throw this thing to the trashcan where it belongs. There are good moments/scenes but the author just ruined it for me. I don't know about men but there are too many red flags for female readers. How Paul cheated on his wife when she was pregnant is a big OOF & turn off for me, even more so when the author tread lightly on this problem. It's a pity, it could've been a great story. I thought the MC would've known better than becoming a scum like his father but of course not. Rather than fantasy, it's more like dark-fantasy and there should've been warnings for this, it feels like I've been tricked. The author probably had been betrayed by women and transfered their pent up feelings into their writings--which is not good because they're spreading negative/toxic energies/alpha male syndrome.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    imnot9o likes this.
  5. Rhythmic

Rhythmic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rudy's mother believed in a religion where faith and devotion is important. Monopoly marriage includes. She also said this is not the first time Paul cheats on her which is very sad. She would've probably divorced him if not for Rudy pleading he didn't want his family ruined (the manga even showed that in her mind, she wouldn't forgive him over and over again. Probably on her wits end.) But of course, Rudy decided to follow his father's footsteps #heh

Paul's saving grace is that he seeks his family relentlessly after the teleport incident. His interaction with Rudy also made me tear up. It strengthened their bond as a family. I would've been satisfied if the author doesn't overcomplicate things with hitogami and married Eris (which is borderline incest because they are distant relatives) or any one of the love interests--I mean, why is it so hard for men to just pick one and be faithful for goodness's sake?

imnot9o likes this.
  6. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i honestly don't remember but rudy was a bad dad, an absent parent and he was pushing rudy too hard (but this is just another way of parenting i guess)

it wasn't until the part where they reunite right before he dies that we find out that he was constantly tortured mentally and did his best to save his wife and went all around to find his family after the teleport incident.

at that point, you cannot blame him for how he acted TBH because most people would just become something similar to him.

in short, he was just another person that was fucked up by the fucked up god in a fucked up world. he tried his best, but because he was fucked up by the fucked up god, he can't be the best dad that everyone wanted him to be but he still tries to keep his family safe

7. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand why they hate Paul.

He cheated on his wife? Yes. But, then, so did Rudeus. Although, later on, Rudeus's built his harem with everybody's approval, but he did cheat on his first wife. You want to hate Paul for cheating, you have to hate Rudeus too.

He was a bad father? I am not convinced of that. He did his very best to protect Norn and, later on, he also did his best to search for his missing family members.

If he seemed weak next to Rudeus, that's because his burden was heavier. And also because he didn't have the "golden finger" of an MC. As a swordsman, his talent ranked below the likes of Eris and Isolte. When it came to overall battle prowess, Ruijerd could probably insta-kill him. And he had no talent for magic.

But despite all that, he managed to found an organization dedicated to finding and saving victims of that mass teleportation incident.

It's very hard not to root for Paul.

8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i never realized there was hate until the anime aired

i think the hate comes from the anime which hasn't reached the part where it shows everything rudy has done and the burden he has

also nuf being nuf, there is a huge ton of SJW, racists who hate CN for being racists and feminists who believes that harems are evil ignoring the setting these novels take place in.

but yay yuri/bl yay

9. Alex57915

Alex57915 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't read it yet...

10. CovetousWolf

CovetousWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All who liked this novel have some mental problems.
    They are enjoying reading about how 40+ year old loser run around trying to get a sex with underaged girls ignoring his family is in danger.
    Also imagine a power system and world building where spinning object to increase its penetration effect make you super strong.
    It is shitty novel for shitty people.