Discussion IRL skills useful when Isekai'd

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PinkCornstarch, Jan 22, 2021.

1. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    literally any kind of skill could be useful, it really depends on the kind of situation/world you isekai into: for example there is an isekai story about rakugo, and another isekai in which programming makes MC OP (knights and magic)

PinkCornstarch likes this.
  2. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    I think being genre-savvy might be the most important. Knowing whether the world/story is survival-themed, horror-themed or tragedy-themed would be necessary for survival.

nyamachi and Llamadragon like this.
  3. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I second being genre-savvy.

Other than that... there's a word in my language that doesn't have a good translation, 'slöjd'. Basically that means handicraft, but specifically it means crafting tools and useful stuff rather than decorative things. I think without a basic tool proficiency, without the ability to make what they need from what they have, anyone would be pretty screwed in an isekai scenario. Even if they reached a stable society, because everyone ELSE would have that kind of skill in medieval settings so good luck finding a job that doesn't require you to be familiar with using a knife or an axe. Woodworking to fix shelters or broken items, sewing, making thread, weaving baskets to carry all of the stuff you need (unless you got an inventory cheat I guess), making the tools you need to make the tools you need to make the stuff you need.

PinkCornstarch and nyamachi like this.
  4. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    This one kind of useless when the new world background is futuristic or have different nature law...

Ah seconded this slöjd thing! Being handy with things helped in most situations.

5. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're allowed to bring anything with you, this book would be handy. And then I guess survival and combat skills so you don't get robbed.

6. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the scenario, but a lot of isekai deal with business or some kind of administration to some degree. I think being somewhat skilled in those areas would be helpful in an isekai.

nyamachi and PinkCornstarch like this.
  7. Chutori

Chutori Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Photographic memory. In an unknown world the most necessary thing is information, so if I had a photographic memory I would never forget it. I could adapt quickly with a new language and culture, It is also not something that makes me stand out so I would not call attention.

8. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    Running, climbing and hiding skill.

9. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Growing up in third world countries is more than enough experience to thrive in an Isekai.

I had a coworker who grew up in a very poor area of Singapore or Malaysia in the 80s, and he basically knows most of what is shown in Primitive Technology's videos. They had it pretty rough in those parts.

10. Deleted member 312931

Deleted member 312931 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Being an assassin

11. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe adaptability. If youŕe set in a different world then there´s almost definitely going to be different laws and you won´t be able to stick rigorously to what you know. You´ll have to be able to accept things like slaves, war, different caste systems, and maybe even killing just because you´re stronger. Adaptability would be very important in that way, being open minded and willing to change.

12. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine being a refugee would be helpful as well. Would suck to get isekai'ed after you risked everything to finally get somewhere safe, but integrating in a new society starting from nothing is also a skill.

ExcitableFoci and PinkCornstarch like this.
  13. PinkCornstarch

PinkCornstarch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    agreed. they like know everything. my mother can sew, cook, be an electrician, a plumber etc. they have all the practical skills. it is actually amazing lol

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  14. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    I think knowing how to make concrete, steel and block powder would be good for starters.

15. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on where you're isekai'd to.

If it's a medieval setting isekai, any survival skills are probably good enough. You can camp out in the woods while you study the local language and culture. Having skills in modern blacksmithing or carpentry would probably also help out a lot. Ai-chan is good with naginata and bows, so food shouldn't be a problem for Ai-chan in the forest.

If it's a futuristic space opera type of isekai, you're out of luck. You'd probably have some advantage if you're a master in IT or a skilled doctor. But you'd most likely suffer being seen as a caveman by everyone else. Unless, if the future humans somehow managed to genetically remove their aggressive tendencies and you end up being the only one who's capable of aggression. You could be king in that case.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  16. SilverMist721

SilverMist721 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone said everything.... Assassin, scientific knowledge, photographic memory, cooking... there were also some saying depending on circumstances. Just a thing left... ACTING SKILLS!! Have some skill to deceive others into not finding you as other. :ROFLMAO::whistle:

17. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unarmed combat skills like boxing and MMA. Armed combat skills like fencing and kendo and sojutsu.

Metalwork.

And most importantly, don't be woke. Considering that it's an isekai, I think it should be ok for you to discriminate against non-human races like goblins and orcs. The modern woke mentality will get you killed sooner than an arrogant young master in a cultivation novel. At least the arrogant master has a powerful family backing him. You don't have anything.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023