Discussion Best isekai season is this season!

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Havisu, Jan 15, 2021.

?

Your impression/opinion?

1. Awesome?

2. Good for you eh?

3. Maybe too much?

4. Meh.

5. Anime? Whats that? Can i eat it? I only read novel.

6. Not my cup of tea.

7. I can die in peace after this season ends.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ushuaya

Ushuaya Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does Nanatsu no Taizai belong to the isekai genre? To be honest, it seems to me that the best anime in this genre is Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken, Overlord, Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari and the first season of Sword Art. It is these anime of this genre that I remember most of all.

2. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Nanatsu no Taizai, Hidden Dungeon, Last Dungeon, and even Redo Healer can definitely be categorized as Sword & Magic, but not isekai. However, Sword & Magic theme is deeply rooted in any isekai.

For SAO (sword art online), i wouldn't call it isekai or Sword & Magic at all, because

1. Its in VR, and everyone knows it. They're not summoned, transported or reincarnated, in other word, they're not isekai'd. They're just trapped in a game of their own world. The difference between this and my statement earlier is that, while nanatsu no taizai is not isekai'd too, but they're already in other world than ours.

2. Its just Sword RPG game. Its not even MMO as said in the anime. Why not MMO? Because only kirito play it lol. Magic? Whats that? Is that a cookie? Even in later arc in SAO, magic is treated as trashes. Everything is just sword, and we all knows when it came to sword, kirito always win with any kind of plot armor that prevent him from dying but not eugine, eugine is getting more screentime than kirito so author killed him to make kirito oh-so-tragic protagonist. Its a world of Sword and Magic where magic is not used, and its a story about the whole world revolving around a single person, whereas without that person the whole world will not be moving.

TenSura, Overlord and Tate Yuusha are honest to goodness isekai and Sword & Magic. However we are now talking about the new (or returning) isekai or Sword & Magic animes. Of course, SAO should never even be considered here, its a blasphemy and sacrilegious.

3. Nozomi

Nozomi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For airing this season I will still have to go with Slime s2 being the isekai themed series I am enjoying the most.

Of the others the Spider series is def the one I feel to be the best of the bunch. Every single other one is def meh at best for me personal taste wise - just kinda not my thing.

Even so, for me Slime and Spider are both better examples of isekai stories, and I am glad to see them getting adapted at the least.

userunfriendly likes this.
  4. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Monkeys coming up in spider. The beginning of the plot against Tempest starting in slime. \:D/

5. zduino

zduino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The original Galactic Heroes is easily the most legendary and plot I have seen. Yes the animation is old, yes the story telling is a bit dated, but it's good. Watching the new thesis version feels like I watching a watered down version of it. Its not bad per say, but its hard to compare to a work of fine art the original was carefully crafted into. The show does need a bit of set up since the plot is vast and covers multiple character's view points. So if your giving the show a chance, be sure to watch the first couple episodes with an open mind until you understand the main characters/universe a bit before judging the show.

I mean, what show mocks tendencies of politicians in a democratic government by comparing it to being a vegan (when not eating meat that is)?

6. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    i see. That makes huge sense to me. I stopped watching after the first two episodes of the new version because how I was offended by the lack of realistic tactics and strategy in the battle. :facepalm:

7. zduino

zduino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The tactics were "realistic" of the time the book came out 1982.

In the original anime (some details have been updated/changed in the books and new theses versions):
    - if you take into account how hard it would be coordinate fleet movements given their sizes, only simple movements are possible at such a scale (especially since every ship has to have a commander that agrees with the deployment).
    - the first fleet operation is a snake eating snake formation. Looks stupid unless you consider that to turn it is most effective to not decelerate to a stop and perform an arc based movement instead (think centripetal force while maintaining velocity vs. stopping, turning, then reaccelerating ). this means in order to keep the "advantage" both fleets must accelerate to avoid being out maneuvered; thus stupid looking formation.
    - in the original, hatchets were preferred over guns in CQC because they do less collateral damage to the ship and you only need to tear a space suit to typically kill someone in space. hilarious to watch.
    - at one point they even fill compartments with highly explosive gas to keep people from shooting their guns and bring combat into melee (thee pen is mightier than the gun, literally).
    - politics are well, politics. lol (they do a great job making each system unique with it own issues)

It goes on and on. A lot of thought was put into this story that seems short sighted at first, but is really not. Each detail was carefully crafted in this universe and I love it.

8. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be better off reading the Light Novel. :D And torrenting the original. :p

I also got spoiled by David Weber and David Drake books. :rolleyes: