Question Is this worth to read?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by HongHua, Jan 26, 2021.

1. HongHua

HongHua Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Yonin no ikemen ni kyuuai sarete ore wa namidamedesu" by Ichijinsha Syosetu

I want to try reading jp novels. Then I saw this I feel like this novel is good but the ratings is making me doubt. So for anyone who read this is this good or nah?

2. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't judge based on ratings, judge it after reading a chapter or two of it. Just go read it, if you end up not liking it, just drop it.

3. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ratings are pretty good though? I already read novels with a much worse rating and some of them are my all time favorites. I also read novels with a much better rating, that are really bland, boring and generic.
    You generally can't trust ratings anyway. It depends on which novel attracts which people, what are the expectations and what is the target group of the novel.
    F.e. an experienced reader in novels would never read a generic/bland novel (as long as it is known as a sh*tty novel) and therefore he wouldn't leave a bad rating (conclusion: very few bad ratings), but new and inexperienced or simple minded readers are excited for everything and would rate this novel very high.

Also, some novels are rated very low, regardeless of the quality, because of unpopular topics/themes in this novel.

I also read some reviews, that are blatantly lying about a novel...

powwder and PeepoMrFool like this.
  4. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    I just looked it up and .... *sees Harem, Smut, and Yaoi tags* >.>

I think if you really like the tags and the genre, it's worth a shot to give a low-rated novel a spin. For example, for genres I'm okay with, rating has to be at least a 4.2. But for genres I love love love, I'll try pretty much anything above a 3.0

5. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. An "experienced reader" doesn't necessarily have higher standards, nor do they necessarily avoid generic or bland stories. Been reading novels for 9+ years now and I've read a fair share of masterpieces, still I'd read "lame" or "bland" novels here and there to pass time. Understandably, everybody has their jaded stage in reading novels, where they refuse to read "generic" or "cliché infested" novels, primarily isekais or cultivation novels, but after that, a lot of people would just run out of "quality" novels to read and go back to the junkfood they all know and love.

6. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mean "everybody" and I agree with your statement. There are always multiple exceptions to everything and sometimes there are bad quality novels, that you enjoy regardless, but even these kind of novels will lose its appeal someday. If you read about the same situation/joke a 100 times, you WILL get bored of it. Maybe you are someone who will still enjoy it, but how about 200 times, etc.
    Of course there are readers, who will read novels, that they don't enjoy themself, but these are the exceptions of the exceptions.

Also, I wouldn't say a broad topic/theme/genre like isekai is bad/generic per se. You have to look at the specifics.
    What I mean is the structure of a novel, the plot, the characters etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  7. CovetousWolf

CovetousWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can count good jp novels by fingers of my 1 hand:
    1) Overlord
    2) Guine saga
    3) Konosuba
    and thats it. There is nothing more, at least for me.
    So you should not touch any jp novel if is not slice of life or comedy.