Do you think Earth will make it to the Space Age?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TotallyNotAnAlien, Jan 29, 2021.

?

Do you think Earth can make it to the Space Age?

1. Yes, and it will happen during my life.

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Yes, but it will happen after my life.

36 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. No, Earth won't make it to space.

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    By "Space Age", I mean starting to colonise the other planets in the solar system and not just getting to space, since Earth has already accomplished that.

Why am I asking? Cause I've just watched this video.

Getting to space seems to be getting more difficult for Earth. Do you think the technology for space travel would advance far enough before Earth has a barrier full of debris, preventing any safe space travel?

This problem is called the Kessler syndrome. This might be one of the "Great Filters" that has and will prevent intelligent species from colonising the universe.

2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    getting there via space travel? HAH. not a chance.
    the system used (fossil fuel) is absurdly weak. not to mention the radiation poisoning.

01 likes this.
  3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I am no space scientist (and by using this term most can probably already tell that) nor do I have even close to enough qualifications to even say that I know how difficult it would be, but I guess humanity will not be able to go outside of the solar system, ever, as for other planets in the same system... Very doubtful. But, who knows? Maybe the future people will look at this comment and laugh at my ignorance as a barbarian from long past

WHAT I FIND FEASIBLE, HOWEVER
    Is AI. I think humanity can create AI advanced enough to surpass any measure of our imagination of intelligence, that could maybe be the new lifeform to do feats unimaginable by us.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, Earth-chan looks to be in no shape to make it that far. :blobpensive:
    download (2).jpeg

01, naghi32 and SuouNono like this.
  5. Delusion

Delusion Dark lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if it does occur, it will certainly not occur in our lifetime. Forget about colonization or cheap space tourism, I am not even sure if we will be able to have manned mission to other planets (except Mars which may be possible in a few decades) in our lifetime.

01 likes this.
  6. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I probably won't see it in my time but I'm guessing rich will move to another planet, leaving a devastated Earth for poor to die on. When the population caps at around 12 billion in the next 30 to 50 years, and at the rate we are consuming all the resources of the Earth; all the waste, especially plastic and with climate change etc. we are bound to get screwed by our own hands.

7. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans needs to have better source of energy before he can leave the Earth Sphere

8. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    Putting aside the technology, I’m pretty sure there needs to be pretty significant cultural shifts to effectively colonise the solar system, let alone beyond that.
    I mean sure, you could take a colonial development kinda route like on Earth, but there’s bound to be strong conflicts of interest and plenty of suffering and growing pains
    Edit: just look at sci fi novels on NU where there’s an Earth vs (former) colony mentality

9. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  10. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Earth will make it to the space age, no doubt. Real question is, if we will. The way the climate is changing rapidly, the diseases and viruses becoming more potent and efficient, I would say our chances are thinning over time, as everything on earth is gearing up towards killing us. So will we able to survive long enough as a species to leave earth and colonize(and probably ruin) other planets ? I will give it about 50-50.

11. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope, i dont think so.
    earth will be busy with pandemic, famine, disaster and war to care about progressing into space.

12. Nightlily

Nightlily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    $GME will take us to colonise the moon! But jokes aside yes of course we will make it into space and colonising other planets. Humanity is nothing if not a plague of survivalists who will do anything to last a moment longer. To satiate their pleasures.

Maple-K likes this.
  13. shadeonline

shadeonline [StarSeeker] [WaveWanderer] [TerrainTraveler]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, we will make it to space. In fact, I've already been travelling to space every night since a long time ago.

14. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Because covid 19 will kill us all.

15. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering how humans works, it might happen but it would be far enough that robots would conquer the space era rather than humans themselves. Human genius can't go so far but human idiocy will. We can't even help in the pandemic to which the government is trying to help us but seeing america slowly going chaotic, i feel that we might either ended up the same way as them unless we organize ourselves.

While i am saying no to space age, we can develop a planet into our own ecosystem and even colonize one but it would take many decades to terraform one planet into a habitable place which would be better off building like a satellite than colonize a planet.

16. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Because people like the smell of gasoline too much and will never stop using it~

17. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Kessler Syndrome assumes that nothing is going to be done about space debris. This isn't true any more. Satellites now have to be legally deorbitted or raised to a "graveyard orbit" at the end of their lifespan so a Kessler Syndrome is very, very unlikely these days. Now us colonizing other planets, that is a different story. There are so many problems involved in it that whoever gets sent out better be mentally prepared for it to be a one way trip.

It's not like we use gas to get into space. People will stop using it once the price of gas exceeds their monthly salary, it's just a matter of time.

18. Midnight2630

Midnight2630 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, why not?
    But we would have to find a resourse worthy all the trouble.
    The last few decades, the technology increased more than the last thousands of years. We just need some innovation breakthrough to see a big jump in technology level again.

19. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    If they can't achieve getting to the moon the second time then, forget space travel.

That chain reaction thingy looks like the movie gravity? That's the title right. That movie about a woman surviving alone in space and getting back to earth.

And I think this video just explain why earth was abandoned in Wall E.

20. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically because there's still no sense of urgency to do so nor the need to. We still fight over resources in earth that still pretty much in abundance while at the same time we don't see any of those resources we do craves anywhere nearby.