Shadow on edge of new monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by KazeYuki, Jan 29, 2021.

1. KazeYuki

KazeYuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I bought a new monitor (Samsung 24" T35F) yesterday and noticed that there's a ~2mm wide shadow on the left edge.

It's kind of like this reddit post: https://old.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/8xvoll/minor_shadow_on_leftright_edges_of_monitor_when_i/

The person in the reddit post can only see the shadow (left and right) when they get too close or look at it from an angle. But for me the shadow is only on the left and I can see it even when I'm looking at the screen not from an angle and over 70cm away.

Unfortunately, I bought the same monitor a few months ago for my sister. She said that it was good so I bought one for myself when there was a special. After I noticed the shadow, I checked her monitor and saw that her one also has a shadow on the left (no shadow on the right).

Is this normal or is it a manufacturing fault?

It's really bugging me because now that I know there's a shadow there I can't un-see it.

[​IMG]

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a setting for that

3. KazeYuki

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean?

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me ask you a few questions:

1) Is this on all colors?

2) Does this show up on bios or the monitors own menu? Sometimes it could be a driver issue or monitor calibration issue. Not a physical hardware issue.

5. KazeYuki

Reading List:
    Link
    1) On all colours - it's harder to see on darker colours but I can kind of see the shadow when I'm really close.

2) It shows up on bios and shows up on the monitor's test screen.

6. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this for both HDMI and DSUB?

And have you tried adjusting the h position in the menu? To be sure its not just improperly centered? You can also try the self diagnostic.

KazeYuki likes this.
  7. KazeYuki

Reading List:
    Link
    For both HDMI and DSUB

There's no menu option to adjust the h position.

My sister just woke up and I checked her monitor again - her one actually has a shadow on both sides - She told me that she knew that the edges had a shadow but thought that it was supposed to be like that because there it was like that on both sides.

I think I'm going to go back to the store and see if the display model has the same problem. Maybe this is the quality I should expect from a low end monitor?

8. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    When you full screen an application, are things disappearing behind the border or not?

9. KazeYuki

Reading List:
    Link
    No.

I disconnected the monitor from the computer and tried the self-diagnostic option on the OSD. The monitor showed a screen with vertical strips of 8 colours. There was still a shadow on the left side.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021