Question Do you like a game system when reading?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by OurPrinceNiki, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OurPrinceNiki

OurPrinceNiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the recent days I was experimenting on my website by integrating a game system where a user can gain coins by logging in, chatting or commenting.

Ex.
    Upon registration the user will get 30 coins, 20 for commenting, 20 for having friends. (This is not yet fixed)
    This coins will be used mainly for the advance chapters or the chapters protected by the translator themselves like those smutty ones (even though we still haven't pick up a rated 19+ book yet. But we might pick one in the future) or with those climaxed chapters in order to cliffhang the readers.

BTW The translators can decide themselves how much they want to 'sell' a chapter for.

Most of the coins will be available for free (by doing a bunch of quest) so the user can read the chapters for free but... If there are those who spend coins by binge reading and they have their coins zeroed, they can buy coins with a conversion rate of $0.001=1 coin. (Still deciding on how much because a certain translator said it was too cheap.)

If we got accepted by a video ad company, I will also integrate a force watching ads for rewards. So a certain translator will not reprimand me for the cheap coins conversion.

There is also a system of gifting where the user can gift the translator but we are still experimenting on this.

There is also a ranking system but this doesn't affect much the user reading experience.

Do you like this kind of system or not?

P.S. I was the one who made this system and I would like to hear your opinions so my efforts for these recent days won't go down in drain. I still have my head full of codes that even when I sleep I have these scripts running after me.

Also DaNovel translations group will be having a MONTHSARY soon, can't believe we are a 1 month old already.

2. endel

endel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't really sound appealing to me tbh. When I want to read, I want to read, without having to collect weird internet coins to "buy" a chapter.
    If you want to do this to make more money (bc why else would you do this), just link your patreon or something under the chapters and offer paying readers some chapters in advance or something. No need to make it more complicated with stuff like this imo

3. Deleted member 38284

Deleted member 38284 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds really similar to what Qidian/Webnovel have.
    Having to comment to get currency only leads to empty comments, which is a bad thing imo.
    Adding friends for currency also only leads to people adding each other as friends and nothing else.

4. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    That just sounds like charging people with extra steps.

endel and SuouNono like this.
  5. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might want to ask for Qi's Webnovel users for this. https://forum.webnovel.com/

Also, this kind of gamification on websites only boosts vanity metrics like page views and daily visits. It's unlikely to have value on this because ad networks gonna pay less for recurring visitors anyway. If you want to implement paywall it will be even less relevant. For novel sites, there are more important metrics you might want to evaluate and invest in them. If you don't bother analyzing data then investing resources in making features that boost user experience when reading chapters better might be even more worthwhile.

6. shadeonline

shadeonline [StarSeeker] [WaveWanderer] [TerrainTraveler]

Reading List:
    Link
    It will not work unless you have a big website like facebook/ reddit/ etc

SuouNono likes this.
  7. SuouNono

SuouNono Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. Most people probably wont bother with this kind of system if you dont

8. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if I like that idea. You need lot of users/readers to make it worthwhile and it should be an engaging system for the readers to bother with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.