First thought that comes up when I read just the title of a new novel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ludagad, Feb 1, 2021.

1. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Today I saw a new novel in my feed. No other info, just a title: "To You Who Never Loved Me"

My first thought: "To you who never loved me, I'm sorry for nearly stalking you and still feeling like a victim because you don't love me back as you should."

My assumption: Female lead marries the reluctant ML(?) and after years of unhappy marriage, finally decides to let go after feeling wronged because of his cold attitude. Then some misunderstandings get revealed, ML regrets, and they may or may not (but usually do) get back together.

Reality: Actually a Korean novel with a suffering FL (apparently the villainess of the hero's story) who can't get over her crush. Not enough synopsis given to draw an accurate conclusion.

Excluding Japanese titles that tell nearly all you need to know just in the title, have you made any assumptions based on the title alone? Mine are usually somewhat right, but I get cases like this too. I might come back with some more posts as I come by new novels.

Coffea to Ell, imK, readerz and 2 others like this.
  2. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like a completely reasonable guess. Seems like 3/4 of all webnovels start with a suffering MC these days. Always either stupidly exaggerated bullying because of some trait that the MC shares with millions of other people, or suffering from something millions of others go through yet the MC acts like they're the only one. That would include your example if it's a world where arranged marriages are common, does she think she's the only one to get trapped in a loveless marriage?

Still, I guess you should be a bit leery of judging by the title, since sometimes the translator botches the title but NU never changes it. The worst I've seen is Blessing from the Goddess and Transfer to Another World! ~No Thanks, I Don’t Need a Special Ability~ which sounds like an isekai without a cheat for once, but is actually about an MC that doesn't get a blessing because he's already loaded with special abilities. The title draws in people looking for a MC that has to work to become OP, but end up with the exact opposite.

imK, readerz and ludagad like this.
  3. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I like "My Disciple Died Yet Again." It's exactly what I thought it would be, the story of a master and disciple pair where the disciple keeps on dying (and reincarnating) again and again. The comedic tone is also what I expected.

Some people don't like it but I think it works as a comedy. Just don't take it seriously because there are tons of plot holes and everything's just played for laughs.

ludagad likes this.
  4. OurPrinceNiki

OurPrinceNiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shrank to a 3-years-old child Chinese name is My Damn Favorite president so when I read it I thought it will be another CEO stories but in reality it was about a mother that shrank to a 3 years old child. Damn, that title got me questioned the author so much. It was a misleading title that when I first came across the title I just ignored. If I didn't saw this on the recommendation of the overload I follow, I may not be able to read such a good story.
    The true meaning of the title that the author wanted to portray as I read the story was: The son, brother and husband of the shrunken person are all president or CEO except for her 2nd child.
    The story mainly revolves around the family because what love is to expect from a 3 years old shrunken child wife and her a middle age husband?

ludagad likes this.
  5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I was obsessed with this novel lol.

readerz likes this.