Harem genre vs Reverse harem tag

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by patient, Feb 2, 2021.

1. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A question about Harem genre vs Reverse harem tag.
    Harem genre description is specifically for a male harem owner: "Definition: A series involving one male character and many female characters (usually attracted to the male character). A Reverse Harem is when the genders are reversed."
    So as I understand, if a series has a female harem owner, Harem genre shouldn't be used and instead Reverse harem tag should be used, right?
    But there's a novel like this one https://www.novelupdates.com/series/two-swords-and-the-angels-feather/ which has a female harem owner, but the Harem genre is locked in, does that mean both the genre and the tag has to be used?

Also, another question, is it harem if it's made up of two people total, like one woman and two men?

Astaroth likes this.
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    that's 3

3. patient

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, yes, but is a harem owner a part of their own harem?

Hamski likes this.
  4. endel

endel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically a reverse harem is still a type of harem tho, so I would still use the harem genre to tag it! Plus the reverse harem tag, if it's a reverse harem.
    And imo a harem needs three "harem members" at the very least. otherwise it would fit more into the threesome/throuple/love triangle definition.

Lovina, AliceShiki and runsing like this.
  5. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly this
    Heck yeah you gotta love yourself first lol

6. RedHead

RedHead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume you mean two people total in the harem.
    Well 2 is a multiple, so I guess 2 people can make a harem, even though that barely passes the threshold.

Well in the Series Finder you can find multiple results for any of the following searches:
    1)G: Harem T: Female Protagonist, Reverse Harem
    2)G: Harem T: Female Protagonist, no Reverse Harem
    3)G: no Harem T: Female Protagonist, Reverse Harem
    4)G: Harem T: no Female Protagonist, Reverse Harem
    So who knows?

When adding restrictions to option 4 - only 2 results for G: Harem, no BL T: no Female Protagonist, Reverse Harem (but the protagonist is female, so it means the tag wasn't just added and there is no actual search results) and 1 result G: no Harem, no BL T: no Female Protagonist, Reverse Harem (similar situation as previous, female has the harem) So I guess reverse harem is not only used when FP + multiple ML, but also MP + multiple ML.

And judging by the first 3 options there is a mix of opinions, if Reverse Harem tag is a sub-genre of the Harem genre or are they opposites.
    In my opinion, for them to be opposites they have to be equal, as in, both have to be tags or genres. So because they are not equal Reverse Harem is encompassed by Harem genre and is only added for ease of use for the readers.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  7. patient

Reading List:
    Link
    Great points! I suppose then the harem genre description should be gender neutral and everything would be clear and inclusive to BL/GL then. And my itch for order would be satisfied.

shyja likes this.
  8. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    yes.

shyja and AliceShiki like this.
  9. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, another question, is it harem if it's made up of two people total, like one woman and two men?[/QUOTE]
    No it isn't a harem (for what i know, i can be wrong) it's a love triangle or a threesome/triad if it's a poly relationship

It make me wonder why a bl harem is put in the reverse harem genre and not the harem one does someone know the harem why ?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  10. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like how they put reverse harem/harem tag on a love triangle. It's not as if they're in a polyamorous relationship. It usually just ends up with the FL ending with one guy. That's not really harem.

11. shyja

shyja 『Seinen』『School life』『Sports』

Reading List:
    Link
    wait a BL harem is considered a reverse harem?