Spoiler Why is haikyuu so popular?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's every where like attack on titan but I don't see why

2. AQZ

AQZ 《[re]tired frog》

Reading List:
    Link
    tiktok

3. Dotencsure

Dotencsure Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because its a good sports anime

koyavv, Darkaeluz and IamSoBored123 like this.
  4. missyinyang

missyinyang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk i guess people like the diverse characters and realistic games

Darkaeluz likes this.
  5. morranstillscaresme

morranstillscaresme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its mostly realistic and has a very endearing cast of characters. but i think other ppl just got fed up with exaggerated sports anime and wanted a simple one ig.

Darkaeluz, endel and Nagisa11 like this.
  6. Nagisa11

Nagisa11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haikyuu is phenomenal, from the characterizations, to the visuals to the story arcs. There is a certain rawness to the series from the way the stories are conveyed, it relies on its characters, its a very character heavy and character driven story. Its a story where no character is left behind, no matter how minor they might appear they are given their own stories, its a sports anime at its raw, the pain of victory, the grief of loss, the beauty of friendship and found family.

Your question asks a lot, I could write an eassy on why haikyuu deserves its popularity but I won't. We might go into spoiler territory and I wouldn't wanna spoil it for you. Its a genuinely greats series, if you haven't watched or nor read the manga than what ill tell you is that your missing out, you will fall in love with the characters, you will laugh with them, cry with them, celebrate with them etc. Haikyuu is sports anime/manga at its peak. (Same with Shingeki no kyojin, its popular because its a phenomenal series)

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  7. Guide1410

Guide1410 guide with bad sense of direction

Reading List:
    Link
    why is this in spoiler section

8. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I think tik tok had a play on it getting popular there’s a lot of haikyuu tik tok

9. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz the boys are cute I guess, I wouldnt know though

10. regan

regan Forever baby!!

Reading List:
    Link
    because it is good?

11. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't lurk on this part of the forum a lot but i saw haikyuu so i HAD to come
    The thing about most sports anime is that it either focuses on sports or the players. The delicate balance between two is not often maintained.
    Focusing only on sports makes it boring on the long-term and focusing on players... they tend to make it slice of life.
    But haikyuu. It focuses on sports and the players feelings towards sports. Yes the players have suffered but their suffering does not overshadow their love for their sports. it does not define them. their skills defines them and that is why the balance is maintained. we know about their past eventually and we know about their skills now.
    It is especially amazing to read/watch how every character develops. There is not a single character you can bring yourself to hate or dislike. they are all a bunch of young sports enthusiasts stumbling around and trying to win. (i especially loved the glimpses of small characters who don't play a huge role but leave a huge impact such as when one guy from the first match loses easily against karasuno and he cries over his loss even though he hadn't worked particularly hard and says 'even i wanted to win' or when a bench wamer at nationals looks at the match and exclaims 'so this is the nationals'... these small scenes kinda speaks for the audience too)

In short, if you like haikyuu, i laikyuu

justahumanobserver likes this.
  12. rerere27

rerere27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quarantine and the fujodanshi community played a big part in it's massive success in 2019-2020. It was already known by then however with quarantine and pips posting 'sexy hot' pictures of it it became even more well known. Haikyuu itself is a very good sports anime, likeable characters, the way it builds up is also good, you can hardly find fault in it however we can't deny that what made it popular is the 'fujodanshi community'. Not that it wasn't know back then, it was but they help boosted it (same with other animes that have lots of handsome characters like balance unlimited )

13. rerere27

rerere27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's just how i see it. I've been a fan of this ever since and watched how the anime and fandom get bigger everyday. I'm happy pips appreciated this anime

14. sealand

sealand New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it have the popularity of being a sports anime with nice looking characters. The impact of a hardworking character that is picked on. A tyrant-trope and the music is really nice. I've not heard such powerful study music.

15. suudere

suudere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignore the fujoshis and just watch the show.

You’ll realise it’s a really good sport anime.

Thee story is nicely paced. I love how it is focused on the people. They all have different personalities and traits and it makes them interesting and special. All characters are important, they all have their development and their importance in the game. Antagonists are the same, they are valuable and add to the story and help further develop the main characters.

I was also skeptical but when I watched it, it totally deserved the hype, I pretty much couldn’t stop watching it. It’s amazing.

16. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    I trained volleyball since primary school, so I identify with it.

I mean, I don't really watch anime anymore, but might continue Haikyuu at some point.

17. Deleted member 193678

Deleted member 193678 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno. They have weird faces.

18. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    I had no idea Haikyuu is so popular, I read the manga for years since the one-shot was released, It's a great sports series withe serious character development.

19. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it captures the right essence of youth, sports, friendship, and semi-realistic teenagers' struggle.

20. Yumiko Heartfilia

Yumiko Heartfilia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Its because it's interesting, I never watched sports anime myself & the first sports anime I watch is HAIKYUU! I don't even know how to play volleyball or how they score there points, but after watching 2,3 episode of it... I really loved it, I don't how to say it, but I literally loved the anime and watched all 5 season and started to practice volleyball.. Waiting for 6th season.... I love their interaction with other team, My favorite character are Tsukki & Oikawa..