Must-read novel for specific genres

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by pass1478, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you think is a novel that is a must-read for a specific genre? Not limited to genres limited to romance, action, yuri, yaoi, etc. but also includes more specific ones such as isekai, second chance (time regression), villainess themes, etc. Here are some genres and their corresponding novels that I think are a must-read:

Second chance (time regression): About the reckless girl who kept challenging a reborn man like me
    Josei: To be a virtuous wife
    Tragedy: Three days of happiness
    Overpowered protagonist: The lazy king
    Post-apocalyptic fantasy: Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Cold smart protagonist: Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e
    Genius protagonist: No Game No Life

Maomaomao, MMWO and northerner like this.
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    When H.A.R.L.I.E. was One, Release 2.0 by David Gerrold - considered to be the quintessential novel about Artificial Intelligence. (Note: "1st version" was published in 1972, the "release 2.0" was published in 1988 as a mild update to incorporate standardized computer terms now in use.)

The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold - considered to be the quintessential novel about time travel.

Maomaomao likes this.
  5. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Superheroes, young adult, fantasy: Super Powereds

If you like ANY of these three genres/categories, you are doing yourself a desservice for not having read this.

Maomaomao likes this.
  6. sinlessface

sinlessface Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can’t read cultivation novels without reading Renegade Immortal

Maomaomao likes this.
  7. PainedSouL

PainedSouL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean I'm not sure since I haven't read those many novels in other genres but if anyone asks me which is a must-read in the historical rebirth genre(or time regression) I would definitely say The Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of Military Lineage. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure others would like to say some other one.:blobsweat::blobpeek:

Maomaomao likes this.
  8. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    2nd change : I am the Monarch
    High fantasy : Stormlight archives
    Dying of old age while waiting for the damn author to release the final book of the trilogy: Kingkiller Chronicles (Think I've been waiting for 10 years now)

Maomaomao likes this.
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Invisible Dragon , it make shakespear look like its written by a 3rd grader.

redanxela and Maomaomao like this.
  10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about genres, but novels on NU that I consider "must read" would be some of the usual recs. Lord of the Mysteries, Cultivation Chat Group, some of the "classics" around here like ISSTH. .. Maybe LMS if the translations weren't kind of shaky. It really does have pretty much everything you could ask for in a VRMMO novel, lmao.

Maomaomao likes this.
  11. Naraina

Naraina Step Red Sibling ⭐ | † Trickster

Reading List:
    Link
  12. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    Western fantasy: Legend of Sun Knight
    Transmigration/rebirth: Chen Yue Zhi Yao
    Survival game: Earth is Online
    Psychological/thriller: The Real Awakening

Maomaomao likes this.
  13. Maomaomao

Maomaomao Cardboard cutout

Reading List:
    Link
    Mystery: Plague doctor
    Apocalypse: Doomsday wonderland

14. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lazy King, ISSTH, Cultivation Chat Group, No Game No Life are novels i second from these lists. all are top of their field and amazing reads.

Lazy King is slow for pretty much the entire novel because it's about a demon king that governs sloth. so in this world demons are based on the deadly sins such as greed, gluttony, wrath and so forth. the more a demon indulges in it's vice the more powerful they become. for example the more a gluttony demon eats the stronger he gets and he starts getting abilities that let him consume more. the more angry a wrath demon gets the more powerful it becomes and gets abilities to cause more destruction. the MC is a sloth demon who has slept and done nothing for so long that he's one of the most powerful creatures alive

Cultivation Chat Group is about a normal kid who gets an invite into a chat group that's filled with actual cultivators. the owner of the chat group says it's fate that let him get invited and let's him stay in the chat group. so yeah cultivators exist in modern earth but just blend in society. the MC starts slowly but gets pulled into the world of cultivation by his own choice and watching cultivators interact with society is pretty funny. oh and the cultivators have always existed so it's not like transmigration or whatever, they were there as technology developed and grew and learned to use it. for example he wants to brew a potion but doesn't have a cauldron so he ends up using a slow cooker since the instructions were to heat at a low flame for x hours.

no game no life is about 2 kids from japan who are the best online gamers in the world. they get sent a challenge for a game and when they win get summoned to another world by the one true god of that world who happens to be the God of Games. killing, violence and pretty much all crimes have been outlawed by the god of games but he has added 10 commandments that allow anyone to bet literally anything they want. so let's say i wanted your shirt, i could bet you for your shirt but i' have to offer something of equal value and you'd have to agree. again let me say you can bet anything, so you can bet lives as well but need to offer something of similar value and the other party has to agree. the twist is humans are the weakest most useless species and the other races use their superior abilities to "cheat" without getting caught (you can cheat as long as you don't get caught, if you et caught you lose). so elves use magic to mess with things, beastmen use their superior physical abilities and senses and so forth.

15. AncestorRebellion

AncestorRebellion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai: Youjo senki
    Yuri: I favor the villainess
    Otome: Bakarina
    BL QT: FOD