Recommendations Revenge but acceptable

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Kamuizin, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most revenge novels are Chunni self satisfaction readings, but there’s any reasonable good around?

i searched some novels around, the following names appeared, but all with huge criticizes:

Sairin Yuusha no Fukushuu Hanashi - too soft.
    Nidome no Yuusha - MC is stupid and his revenge feeling is uncoherent.
    The Strongest Brave Who Craves for Revenge, Extinguish With the Power of Darkness - too rushed
    So That’s How, The Saintess Became The Devil Of Revenge - too few chapters (or raw, it’s not on NU, i got those infos from another thread)
    Dungeon Seeker - Bad story and shallow characters.

So, can someone comment on those novels, if they’re good and received undeserved hate?

can you show me other names on this theme (revenge, preferable level up and demon king style).

2. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Demon King? I assume you mean medieval fantasy. The most iconic one I could name is "Shield Hero", the exposition in that story is just unwarranted hate and foolishness- the characters are believably hateable. Characters that I am meant to hate. Though I personally dropped it because the few moments of triumph was depressing, like our protagonist is only maintaining the quota and when he does have the downtime to look after himself or the people he cares about, it's mundane and insubstantial (could also be that the romance isn't carrying that emotional aspect of the series). I think "Reincarnated as a Sword" footed that bill but it was lackluster... when world building was such a precedent.
    Another series but a list-style comic, would be "FFF-Class Trash Hero". Our protagonist is a piece of shit and has no love for humanity, so he deserves what's coming to him, but his overpowered abilities are earned through a cycle of frustrating circumstances. Revenge is the entire theme of the story.
    I do agree that the current trend of isekai have reached a point where it's being used as a short cut and it's ineffective application is a cheap trick, revenge is one of those trends too. Like- do people need to give their character a motivation when they're already hesitant in what to do in their second life? Can you hear my sarcasm? Revenge for the sake of revenge is like a bad harem with only "different types of girls" but lack of any harem dynamics that should inconsequentially collapse on itself without cooperation, and if you've worked on a group project- you know shit hits the fan eventually. So I 100% agree that if someone is ragging on the revenge aspect of the story, then there is probably rhyme or reason- even if they can't find the words to properly explain it, any reader has a sort of judgement.
    "Eminence in the Shadow" is 1000% chunni and it's mainly comedy, but it's well-executed because the reason for being overpowered is glossed over in a reasonable fashion. Like it's understandable to be badass because you train like a nutcase, but it doesn't drag the story down- mainly a story for hijinks.
    "Cheating Men Must Die" is a QT. QT are usually quick to satisfy but longer continuity usually harms the core story even though each transmigration is it's own story BUT not in this case. This list-style comic is very good in giving a reason to side with the protagonist (as most QT's do) but each experience adds to the protagonist rather than leaving FMC as a shallow character.

Sabruness likes this.
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try History’s Strongest Senior Brother. The revenges taken there are always part of a larger plan that is more based around benefit...I believe? I'm just saying when the MC does something for revenge its usually not purely for revenge, its just his greater plans will take him down a path that'll end up giving him his revenge in the passing. So that was cool, I guess. Actually, it was maybe too much? To the point it sometimes felt like he didn't really care about the people he was doing this for since there's always an overall motive that led him to take that action. But who knows, he says he does care about them but he really doesn't have any reason to because he's a transmigrated person and nobody there is actually related to him.

4. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I became God's gofer - it's kind of revenge, but also different, as mc doesn't do anything and every messed up thing is something everybody had coming. Literally everybody.

5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
  6. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe something like:
    The Strongest Brave Who Craves for Revenge, Extinguish With the Power of Darkness
    The Executed Sage Reincarnates as a Lich

TBH though, IDK the novel's translation & raw progress since I only following their manga adaptation

7. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I already read Shield Hero. I like the nove but it’s softcore revenge, not what i’m looking for.

history’s strongest senior brother has nothing to do with revenge @Walter vi Britannia , but i already read it anyway.

FFF-Class Trash Hero i will check.

Lord of Mysteries is in my future read books for other reasons, but i never saw anything about revenge there.

The Strongest Brave Who Craves for Revenge is described in my op, i don’t need the novel’s name here, but comments over it. Good? Strong points? About the criticizes, are they legit?

The Executed Sage Reincarnates as a Lich - this one has some potential, gonna read for sure, besides the low evaluation, all the 2 or 3 stars only point to the shallow of the plot. Uncoherence is something that bother me more, shallow plot i can deal with.

About the rest, commedy isn’t my objective and for this genre is almost a mood breaker.

What i’m searching for is something like the classic book “The Count of Monte Cristo” made into a fantasy world with a darker, ruthless and unforgiving character that either progress to be stronger or become overpowered (instead of richer as in the classic book, as into a world with no magic money equals to power).

Don’t mind the MC sinking in the problems that he provoke with the revenge, he can fall to the Deep Abyss at the end as long his revenge is fulfilled.

8. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Revenge is in the early arcs, mc gone through some shit because of plotters, hence revenge

9. suzanne63398

suzanne63398 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hammurabi style

10. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I know, I was just talking about the parts where he DOES get revenge on some people.
    Well, if you're looking for a story completely focused on revenge, try The Last of Us 2. But...umm, yea. I can't say certain stuff for spoiler reasons but it sure is a hell of a revenge story.

11. Furnace

Furnace Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have only read the manga and the novel may differ in execution. It's good points would be that the MC doesn't spare anyone who pleads innocence by saying that they were forced to do a certain thing.
    It's debatable points would be that it has a lot of gore. So, if you hate gore, do avoid reading it.

Another suggestion is https://mangadex.org/title/50019/rooftop-sword-master (Manhwa, the novel TL has dead links)

12. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link