Why you always read the tags

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by I Eat Monsanto, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Xxsafirex

Xxsafirex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well yes but actually no

Hamski likes this.
  3. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    Koreans preparing to write another necromancy novel:

[​IMG]

Saitama.sensei and Hamski like this.
  4. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Well dont give Tags the Path or details the Novel takes away, without knowing the End?
    Adventure tag means that often New Places are Visited, with more Details of the Towns, Caves, Pathes, mountains and Creatures that the MC comes across.
    Romance tag is more toward feeling, expressions, looks, clothes, hair-style and such. With more focus on People.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure Necromancy is overdone in KR novels, but it's not inherently bad.

nightcore34 likes this.
  6. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do novels get the tag if the MC isn't a necromancer himself?
    Like, if it just exists and plays a part in the plot of an arc?

If no, then yeah, pretty good reason to leave it if you are tired of necromancer MCs

Fulminata likes this.
  7. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I do just outright block some tags from my account.
    Though I read the tags when I start to feel the novel is somewhat concerning to my standards.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Reack likes this.
  8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    tags are useless. description is enough of a reason to avoid shit
    or title for that matter

Xxsafirex likes this.
  9. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    Some titles are misleading especially if it's not japanese that title are already description.
    Other description are also lacking in information since most stories suddenly changed genre after several arcs.

Tags are helpful in avoiding genre you don't like such as NTR, Harem, R*pe, BL or GL or any topics you probably won't like abusive relationship or dumb protagonist.
    Perhaps you don't use tags but others does and it can be use to filter genres you don't want to see in your NU page. Cause your tired of it or don't like it.

10. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    tags also say romance... have you found it at all in most novels?

11. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm confuse with your question or you can't understand what I wrote but I'll try to answer anyway.

Not all novels has romance in it. Some Slice of Life have no romance and other genre like shounen or shoujo.
    Some people want to read action novel with romance, some does not. So the tag will be helpful for both person.

Perhaps you should read carefully, analyze and contemplate on what people wrote.

12. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    The "Romance" Genre Tag is often used with the same accuracy as the "Tragedy" Genre Tag. Which is to say, while the tag is meant for bull's-eye targeting, people will use it if the arrow hit within a square meter or five of the target, no matter how far from the actual rings. Using "Romance" as an example, it's on most stories where the protagonist has a relationship, even if that relationship has no relevance to the plot, or the "relationship" is part of a harem and is built up over the period of an arc before the girl is dumped into the MC's entourage of wifu's, having any personality she had previously drained from her to fuel the latest "beauty" the MC gets to save. Where it's actually supposed to be used is where the drama circling around developing a romance, maintaining a relationship, and all the difficulties and unknowns related to that is the main, or at least a major, driving force of the story.

Tragedy is used with similar effectiveness. It is supposed to be used to describe the overall theme of the story. The Picture of Dorian Gray is a Tragedy due to the story about a person who's introduced to, and seduced by, a world of indulgence, who ends up becoming a criminal before they're overwhelmed by guilt for their crime, and having a mental breakdown that results in him destroying the thing that was keeping him alive. In other words, it's a story about a person who is introduced to a life of hedonism and slowly goes insane as a side effect. I Am Legend, the book, is another Tragedy, where the last human alive spends the entire book killing and experimenting on those transformed into what he perceives as monsters while trying to "cure" them. Then he discovers that many of these "monsters" managed to regain their sentience, formed their own society, with drugs to curb their worst impulses, and see him as basically a genocidal maniac who's been torturing and murdering people. These are true tragedies, the focus of the story is on building up and delivering a horrific emotional punch to the gut, or having the life of the protagonist, and those around them, completely destroyed, usually by their own actions or side effects there of. Sure, there are times when it's not the fault of the protagonist, but the focus of the story is that they're in the middle of a, metaphorical, building as it collapses around and on top of them.

What the Tragedy Tag is most used for, however, can be simply explained as "Tragic Backstory". It's given to every story that's MC has a sob story. Most of the time, it's on stories where the Sob Story is a one-chapter introduction before the MC manages to turn OP and live a happy life crushing those who previously made them miserable, or dares think of opposing them, under their feet. It's about them getting a new chance and becoming the most praised or undisputedly powerful person in the lands. In other words, it's generic Power Fantasy where the protagonist "earns" their Power Fantasy Life and Freedom To Do Whatever They Want Without Considering Repercussions due to previously having been miserable.

It's overdone because it's an easy, and lazy, answer to a real question. It's unreasonable to have a one-person-army, so how do you solve that? The difficult answer is have the MC join, or build up, an army and have them grow in rank or size to fight against the opposing army/armies, with the politics fuelling much of the story. The Necromancy Solution is "One person has infinite ability to raise dead, so have them raise a few corpses, those corpses kill more people, and suddenly they have a free army of puppet slaves made out of the enemy army". It's boring, overdone, and basically hand-waves the issue away while ignoring parts of real warfare that could lead to more interesting strategies from both sides (attacking supply lines, for example).

If that isn't done, then they go the other route, where the MC's Raised Familiars are either practically, or literal, Gods who have died, and the protagonist can get them to wield their power from when they were alive. Just to be clear, I'm usually fine with this in Japanese Stories, as the MC in those being Good Natured but mind-bogglingly OP is usually presented as the story's central joke, and has something else as the driving force. In Korean Novels, however, the MC is usually an abrasive ass and the driving force is that the MC wants to do things and people keep on getting in his way. Regularly the people getting in his way have a good reason to get in the MC's way, as well.

So yeah, in KR Novels, the Necromancy Tag is usually an indicator of some bad or lazy writing for a boring, overly OP, protagonist.

13. PeepoMrFool

PeepoMrFool Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because I don’t want to read what I don’t want to read. But the truth is, I think it is better to choose according to advice based on the novels you like and your requirements, since the tags are very strangely placed, even more subjective than the definitions of words from different people.

14. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are you explaining that to me when I give short explanation to that person?
    Do I look like someone who doesn't know romance or how tag is? Bruh read my comments.

Did you wrong send? Are you okay?

15. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not a one-person-army though if it's an army of other people.

Look, I totally get what you're saying. There's lots of these novels where MC was betrayed or whatever by some guild or faction, and to be able to really compete with them upfront he'll need an army. So how do you get an army? Make your own faction or become a Necromancer.

BUT. This doesn't somehow mean that MC being a Necromancer is a bad thing. And it's also a very reasonable decision, how hard and time consuming isn't it to make your own faction? And considering most of these guys just got a second chance after being betrayed by their last guild they're obviously not too optimistic about the prospects. What if they go through all of it again only to be betrayed yet again.

Secondly, like I mentioned, being a guild leader =/= being a one-man-army, just because the goals would be the same (take out the guild who you got betrayed by, rule the world, or whatever) doesn't make them comparable.

Well I'm sure you know this, and that was practically your complaint, but Necromancy novels are usually OP MC one-man-army novels, and that's also why someone might or might not want to read the novel.

The novels are much more about MC being OP than armies, MC being a Necromancer is just a means to an end, the core is still MC somehow becoming so OP he can become a one-man-army.

But it doesn't matter if it's because MC can raise armies of undead or because he can buy nukes from a system shop or because he can cultivate 1000 times faster than anyone else or even though MC's cultivation level is way below the opponent he can still beat them because his techniques are just way better or whatever.

Should MCs also stop getting OP techniques or super constitution and instead became faction leaders to have lots of people since one person can't do what many can together? NO. Because that would be going against what the whole point of those novels are.

OP MC novels are about MC being OP, if you remove that then the novel implodes.

There's kingdom building novels as well, and those are the types of novels you read if you're looking for a MC that makes a faction, though ofc there can be a lot of overlap as well.

An example of overlap between OP MC and Kingdom Building with pretty good story is Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, though ofc MC is only a Necromancer during some arcs since he's actually a Sculptor.

16. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    source?

17. Darius Drake

Reading List:
    Link
    I did read your comment. The main thrust of mine was correcting YOU, with what the person meant by their comment, as shown by what I quoted of your post. The only reason I quoted them was so that the quote from you made sense. Please read through my reply on how horrifically people use the "Romance" and "Tragedy" GENRE Tag's. Because your reply, both to Suijin and to me, indicates that you do not understand how offensively broad the use of those tags are on here. Hint, it's to the point of the tag being useless.

The thing is, it's not only done to death, especially in Koran Novels, they also typically do it in the most boring and repetitive fashion. Oh, the MC did it because they were "betrayed" did they? Well, betrayed MC is the FREE Square on the KR Stereotypical Story Bingo Card. Okay, fine, that's a lie. Necromancy is the Free Square, and Betrayed By Friends MC is in one of the awkward spots where you can't get a Bingo with the free square, simply because it's about as common.

The problem isn't with the MC being OP, or leading an army of puppets, it's that it's done to death and is the same EVERY time. There's not even a minor attempt at variation, it's just that Necromancy is an easy go to for a quick army to crush their enemies and drag the plot through arcs that COULD become interesting by just crushing everything underfoot. If the story's particularly "fancy", it'll use Spectres as Scouts/Spies, Vampires as Diplomats, and Zombies as Shock Troops, but rarely is even that much thought put into it. Instead it's just 10,000,000 Zombies lead by Vampire's and/or Dullahan's, steamrolling any army and leaving the actually threatening enemies to the MC so that the reader can get "yet another epic fight scene to show that the MC can fight and isn't a useless bag of flesh drunk on the power his zombie army brings".

Hell, it wouldn't even take that much effort to give enough variety for there to be some minor variation. Instead of using corpses, they could make their own golems our of mud, sticks, clay, stone, wood and more. Never happens, because that would take effort and explaining where the MC got the materials and magical power required to make them from. Raise those same questions about Necromancy, which is practically doing the exact same thing? Nobody cares, there's corpses everywhere, you don't need to worry about the magical power needed to hold together and move a skeleton like you do a lump of clay, for some reason.

Basically, my complaint is that most KR writers who stick Necromancy in their novels do so because it means that they don't have to think about things that they would otherwise have to. Hell, you mentioned Moonlight Sculptor, one of Korea's flagship popular webnovels having Necromancy, and the MC becoming a Necromancer. And you're right, it does, and he does. After something like 10+ Novels/Arcs the MC becomes a Necromancer. And, after a short time showcasing how OP Necromancers can be, starts running into issues basically designed to cause problems for Necromancers. After the Author ran out of ideas for that, the character abandoned the class for a Fighter Type Class, mostly because he had most of the advantages of being a Necromancer anyway, and the classes limitations in his preferred method of combat were starting to chafe at him. In other words, nothing about the boring standard OP Necromancer Steamrolls Everything because Army Of Zombies really happens in that story.

It's a mix of my opinion and genre definitions. I'll just go look up an official definition of what makes something a part of the Romance Genre to have it help support my argument:

https://literaryterms.net/ gives the following definition of what is Romance:

https://literaryterms.net/ gives the following definition of Tragedy:

18. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't argue that some tags are wrong broad and have so many different parts.

But people see romance tags expect it to have romance even it's just normal plain relationship or full romance or harem. There are further tags to explain it more that you can add. Just like how genres have subgenres.

Perhaps you saying cause people can just add tags you see it useless. Doesn't mean it is useless to others.

The fact that you keep pointing out that tags are useless seems a bit forceful to me.

I was explaining that some found it useful.
    Don't go around trying to shove your idea to others. I get it now you see tags useless cause they are broad.

I even see engineering studies are too broad but it subgenres. A person is called as engineer but has different specialty like doctors.

Geez, calm down...
    Why are you so angry about tags anyway?

19. Darius Drake

Reading List:
    Link
    The aggression you are interpreting is entirely fictional. The use you are talking about is what the added Tags section is for, but people use the Genre section incorrectly because they don't care or see the difference. I am someone who... there is no good way to word this, so I'll say that I have some "passion" or "enthusiasm" towards that difference. The Genre Section is to tell you the broad-strokes of the story type, while the Tags Section is to warn for any specific issues that you might find preferable or unwanted. While I do not feel that I am being aggressive against those who apply it wrong and thus actively give misinformation, I am also not going to sugar-coat the fact that they are misusing the Genre Tags in a way that spreads misinformation about the story/s.

By misusing the Romance Genre Tag, people are making it so that it's significantly more difficult for those who actually want to find Romance Stories to find them. Same with Tragedy. It's near impossible to find an actual Tragedy Story on here, and, as someone who wants to avoid actual Tragedy, I have to check places I shouldn't need to in order to discover whether or not the story has an opening three pages where the MC's life is hell before the proper story starts and the MC becomes OP, or if I'll have to worry about the story ending via the protagonist destroying the world due to having a, assumedly quite reasonable at that point in the story, mental breakdown.

In short, yes, I do consider uses of Genre Tags in that "soft" way you are describing to be completely useless and better off in the normal Tags Section, and, no, nothing you say could possibly persuade me otherwise.

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool! You've got the original meanings of those terms! I don't think that they're used all that much any more outside of academic circles. The only modern subgenre that uses the old "Romance" is Planetary Romance but even these stories are pretty rare nowadays.

Of these I don't think that "Romance" is misused all that often. Sure people will plop it into Harem Hijinx Novel #95, but there are still a lot of proper Romance novels around so it's not particularly hard to find them.

"Tragedy" on the other hand, is a term that people don't seem to understand and it's probably one of the most incorrectly applied genres on NU. Here, we're so innundated with wish fulfillment stories that any book where something negative happens to the protagonist is considered one. Hell, one book that's often used to exemplify tragedies is "a Step Into the Past", and even it's not a tragedy!

Other genre tags that get misused a lot are "Wuxia" and "Historical". People don't know what a wuxia novel is so they just make assumptions about what they're supposed to be. You'll almost never see the term applied correctly on the forums either. Historical novels are even worse - it's not hard for readers to identify what is and isn't historical. Think about it, if a story doesn't take place on Earth, it's painfully obvious that it can't be historical. And yet it gets misused to the extent that maybe one tenth of the books with the "Historical" label are actually historical!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.